Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Subs with disabilities

Quote Originally Posted by Missviolet View Post
    Well.. this sucks. Yeah.. just what I've always wanted.. to see a video of a ride. *pffft*

I'm personally not very pleased. They could make a special sub with a lift? Sure it would look different and god forbid it ruin any non-handicapped person's experience.. but, come on.. A video in a room off to the side? LAME. (x5)
    First off, to Missviolet and everyone else who won't get to ride the subs, I am sorry!

I am looking forward to seeing BOTH versions, and I presume I will get a chance to do it during Media Day, if not, I will "push" a friend into the viewing room

But the capacity of the subs is already VERY low, expected around 1,000 to 1,200 per hour. They will only get 1,200 per hour if they run all 8 subs, and load and unload in about 3 minutes.

Converting ONE sub to allow a lift would remove a LOT of the 40 seats in one of the subs, and also reduce the loading time, as they would want to "secure" the chair, similar to riding the tram or the public bus. That would add a few minutes to the load/unload time, and cut capacity probably in HALF!

I think Disney has come up with a solution that addresses the problem, and allows capacity to remain about the same, while addressing those who cannot walk down the stairs.

Also, as I understand it, they are planning to require that ALL folks, even those with Stair passes and Wheelchairs to wait in the Man Queue (and the expected long wait) until reaching the loading area, where folks will be able to get into the "Alternative" viewing room queue instead of queuing up for one of the Sub Loading Queues.

I am sorry that life is not always totally fair, but if the ride had to be totally accessible, Disney would have never started the project.

So I am glad they tried to address those who could not use the stairs and gave them another option.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    First off, to Missviolet and everyone else who won't get to ride the subs, I am sorry!

I am looking forward to seeing BOTH versions, and I presume I will get a chance to do it during Media Day, if not, I will "push" a friend into the viewing room

But the capacity of the subs is already VERY low, expected around 1,000 to 1,200 per hour. They will only get 1,200 per hour if they run all 8 subs, and load and unload in about 3 minutes.

Converting ONE sub to allow a lift would remove a LOT of the 40 seats in one of the subs, and also reduce the loading time, as they would want to "secure" the chair, similar to riding the tram or the public bus. That would add a few minutes to the load/unload time, and cut capacity probably in HALF!

I think Disney has come up with a solution that addresses the problem, and allows capacity to remain about the same, while addressing those who cannot walk down the stairs.

Also, as I understand it, they are planning to require that ALL folks, even those with Stair passes and Wheelchairs to wait in the Man Queue (and the expected long wait) until reaching the loading area, where folks will be able to get into the "Alternative" viewing room queue instead of queuing up for one of the Sub Loading Queues.

I am sorry that life is not always totally fair, but if the ride had to be totally accessible, Disney would have never started the project.

So I am glad they tried to address those who could not use the stairs and gave them another option.

Thanks for the information and I fully agree with your sentiments. Yes, it is very unfortunate that the attraction will not be fully accessible to folks with disabilities but at least Disney is making an effort to show them the attraction from an alternate location. I guess some people would rather inconvenience thousands of people that are waiting for just that one person rather than be grateful that they can still experience the attraction in a different way.

• Still lost in Neverland

I have also heard that there will be motion effects in the room. It's not just sitting and watching a film play on a screen. They are doing the best they can to give Wheel Chair bound people the best experience they can without actually trying to put them in a sub. I think they are going above and beyond with this as there are still some attractions that people in wheelchair's cannot ride and there is no other way for them to experience the ride.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

We think this is the room (white wall)

You can see the new "alternative" viewing room when you board the Monorail, there is a whilte wall on the left just after you start entering the queue near the Autopia Exit, it is basically right underneath where the "front" of the Monorail is parked in the station. It will only hold a few folks at a time.

If disney put the disabilities people into the sub and there was a fire in the lift and sub into the tunnel, how disenyland get you out?

then disney need to put in big walkways and lift into autopia tracks
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Missviolet View Post
    I'm personally not very pleased. They could make a special sub with a lift? Sure it would look different and god forbid it ruin any non-handicapped person's experience..
    And if/when the riders need an emergency evac from their subs inside the show building, how exactly do they get the wheelchairs and their passengers out of the subs and onto the catwalks suspended above the water?

And even if they could get the wheelchairs onto the catwalks, how would they traverse the catwalks and down the stairs to exit the show building?

This is why it's impossible to convert a sub for physically limited/immobile guests.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• It's all about Theme!

There will be like a video showing what you would have been able to see in the subs!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney View Post
    More, however, because they were constructed before the ADA and are exempt. No accomodation for handicapped is required.
    Remember.. the ADA does not require all facilities be handicap accessible - it requires you make accomodations and design accessibility into new designs but is not required if you can show its 'structurally impracticable' to do so.

Obviously there are limits. You do not have to limit your designs based on the ability to meet accessibility requirements. You must simply build them in when its feasible to do so. But obviously doing something like building a ramp today that wasn't accessible would raise flags. Unless again, its in an area where its structurally impractical to fit in a design that could accomodate an accessible ramp. (but today that typically would require you build an alternate path.. such as an elevator)

Point is.. you don't have to say 'a wheelchair can't ride my ride, so I can't build it'

I hope that the land-based version will attempt to create as convincing an illusion as possible.

• Minion

I'm sorry.
    Last edited by Goin2DL; 12-29-2006 at 08:26 PM. Reason: I apologized. Please don't give me anymore negative reps.

• Sector Two Droid Repair

I wonder if you can request the video only version and not be handicapped. It might be a way to skip a two hour line. What if the video only version becomes really popular?
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phruby View Post
    I wonder if you can request the video only version and not be handicapped. It might be a way to skip a two hour line. What if the video only version becomes really popular?
    As mentioned above, the current plan is to require ALL folks to wait in the line (except Make-A-Wish folks), Folks with Wheelchairs or need to avoid stairs will have to wait in the queue along with everyone else, only once you get to the "front" of the line (past the turnstiles; electric eye version) you will have the chance to either board a sub or go into the viewing room.

No "line cutting"
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

In a related thread it was discussed how some people never liked the sub ride due to severe claustrophobia. Would these individuals be allowed to view this video as well in the disabled area?

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    In a related thread it was discussed how some people never liked the sub ride due to severe claustrophobia. Would these individuals be allowed to view this video as well in the disabled area?
    Of course not. They should build a sub that is doubled in size so these people will not feel boxed in. This sub should also have its video projections subtitled for the hard of hearing. But then there are the blind...and well they should....um....

• Minion

I am just going to stop reading any thread on these messages boards that deals with disabled access. I just get to upset and angry reading them!!!

• Banned User

i am glad they are doing something for those unable to get into the subs. and for those smart mouths out there, you try getting in and out of a wheelchair it's not easy and it's not fun. I am able to do that but I know many aren't and I wait patently so everyone has a chance to enjoy the parks. that being said, I think it's pretty silly to have to wait in line with everyone else to then go into a building and watch the video version of the ride. It would take up less space in line if there was a line for those who either don't wish to ride because of claustrophobia or who are unable to get up and down the stairs. that way the ride que could be filled with just that, riders.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast