Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Subs with disabilities

I had a question that perhaps someone on here might be able to answer. I do remember going on the Submarine Voyage quite a few times when it was still open. I don't exactly remember how or if they allowed guests with wheelchairs or electric scooters to go on board. I figure that since the original attraction was built before the ADA came into effect that Disney didn't have to allow for wheelchair accessibility.

Since the attraction is due to reopen soon my question is this. How will they accomodate guests with wheelchairs? Is there a special sub that has been modified for this purpose? Will this attraction be inaccessible to those who cannot leave their wheelchair? Anyone know?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Re: Subs with disabilities

I think there is a room that the guest in the wheelchair will experience the ride in.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Fastest Man Alive

I believe I read somewhere that there will be a place where guests in wheelchairs can park themselves and see the sights seen from the subs (the ridefilm if you will) without actually going inside a sub.
    Of course, my initial reaction from reading the thread title was picturing a Nemo Sub in wheelchair itself.

It's essentially the same attraction, so Disney will simply require that guests be ambulatory in order to board the vehicles. Disney will also provide, though, an alternative version of the show on land for those guests that cannot leave their wheelchairs.

• official corn dog taster

you could strap the wheelchair to the top...
    OLM!!!
    There is no better park than TDS

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I believe I read somewhere that there will be a place where guests in wheelchairs can park themselves and see the sights seen from the subs (the ridefilm if you will) without actually going inside a sub.
    Of course, my initial reaction from reading the thread title was picturing a Nemo Sub in wheelchair itself.
    As much as I understand that special needs of guests with disabilities, if this is true, I hope it is not noticeable from the subs itself.

With all due respect it would ruin the ride experience if you look out of the porthole and see all the fish, and then beyond that you also see a bunch of people in wheelchairs looking at the same thing.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    With all due respect it would ruin the ride experience if you look out of the porthole and see all the fish, and then beyond that you also see a bunch of people in wheelchairs looking at the same thing.
    People unable to board the subs will be watching a video in a room at the station.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    People unable to board the subs will be watching a video in a room at the station.
    Wow! That is great, I was wondering if I would just have to mis the subs. But this alternative sounds like I can experience the subs w/o getting on a sub and burdening anyone.

Thanks,

CU@DL

Andy

• Minion

My concern is the added load time it takes to load a guest with disabilities. When the subs were open years ago we had to wait for well over ten minutes so that the person with a broken leg could make it down the steep steps into the sub. Nemo will have insanely long lines due to the fact that it's a new attraction and the load times are already pretty slow. Throw a person who can't easily go up and down the steps into the mix and it's a recipe for some painfully long lines.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Disney went to great expense to rehabilitate the original submarines. I'm sure partly because there would be some nostalgia for the originals. More, however, because they were constructed before the ADA and are exempt. No accomodation for handicapped is required.

Those physically unable to board a submarine will be able the view the attraction in a special room via video. Supposedly, without actually boarding a sub, these people will have essentially the same experience. I hope Disney makes the room look like the inside of a sub and not just a room.

I think it's a good compromise.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by audibleatom View Post
    you could strap the wheelchair to the top...
    Can you imagine? Seeing this wheelchair float along the top of the water. The whole image in my head is hysterical.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

You can see the new "alternative" viewing room when you board the Monorail, there is a whilte wall on the left just after you start entering the queue near the Autopia Exit, it is basically right underneath where the "front" of the Monorail is parked in the station. It will only hold a few folks at a time.

As I understand it, some special effects willl be used (bubbles and sound), but it is basically watching a video of the ride.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Animatronic

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    You can see the new "alternative" viewing room when you board the Monorail, there is a whilte wall on the left just after you start entering the queue near the Autopia Exit, it is basically right underneath where the "front" of the Monorail is parked in the station. It will only hold a few folks at a time.

As I understand it, some special effects willl be used (bubbles and sound), but it is basically watching a video of the ride.
    If I was doing it, I'd use one of those new fangled 3D monitors and put it behind a porthole and even have some motion effects. The result could be as good as the real ride, minus the clausterphobia and the desire to have thinner friends.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    If I was doing it, I'd use one of those new fangled 3D monitors and put it behind a porthole and even have some motion effects. The result could be as good as the real ride, minus the clausterphobia and the desire to have thinner friends.
    Or have Crush come out and talk to you.

No wait. They're already doing that....

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

Well.. this sucks. Yeah.. just what I've always wanted.. to see a video of a ride. *pffft*

I'm personally not very pleased. They could make a special sub with a lift? Sure it would look different and god forbid it ruin any non-handicapped person's experience.. but, come on.. A video in a room off to the side? LAME. (x5)

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast