Sleeping Beauty Castle of the past info...

Hi all, long time reader here but I have just started to actively participate. I hinted at this in a reply to a previous post but I see so little information on this topic that i think it diserves it's own thread, I hope that's ok.

Anyway, does anybody have any information regarding during what years Sleeping Beauty Castle was painted White and Blue? I have spent a lot of time in the past trying to find any information on this but have never come up with much. From the few pictures I have seen, it seems to be sometime during the 60s but I can't be positive since in some pictures it looks like it could be the 50s or in some even the 70s. If anyone has any information on this it would be great!

Also, pictures of the castle in blue and white seem to be hard to find, so if anyone has any or knows where to find them, please post if you can. I'm only 19 so this is way before my time. I love Disneyland and it's history (as all of you do) so I figured this was the place to ask. Thank you so much!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: Sleeping Beauty Castle of the past info...

It's always been pink and blue. It's just that during the Pressler/Harris years, the colors faded so badly that the pink was unrecognisable, and when the 50th rolled around, the punched-up coloring has made the pink more apparent.

I had always thought that it was always only pink and blue. But I've seen a lot of pictures where the castle looks like it is white and blue. Perhaps this is due to the lighting or the camera used or something like that but these pictures are deffinitely from the 50s, 60s, or 70s since some of them have people in them and you can tell from their outfits. This would be before the dark Pressler/Harris years. I've also read posts on various boards (including this one) mentioning the blue and white castle. I've always been intrigued and confused by this. Thank you so much for the reply pineapplewhipaddict! Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this (or you may have already,haha).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

lol, well I did image searches for the castle on the years you just specified, and I still see the faded pink (I guess really no era kept the castle sparkling! very sad indeed...)

Of course, the old pink was light to begin with, but it's definitely not white. Just definitely not as bright as it is now.

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

Originally, the castle was painted white and blue, in a way very similar to the Neuschwanstein castle on which it is based. A small touch of pink was used for shading, but it was just barely noticable. As the years went by, the color scheme became mainly based in pink and then faded to the dismal hue seen before the current paint scheme replaced it.

Sometimes when looking hard I think I notice the slightest hint of pink as well, but sometimes I think it's my eyes playing tricks on me wanting to beleive that I see pink,lol. And of course it's not the bright pink that it is now since they repainted it right before the 50th. It just looks soo white in some pictures,lol. It's the pictures such as these two that really show off the "white":

Especially the 2nd one,lol.

Seems to make more sense now though. White with a small touch of pink.
    Thank you so much for both of your replies. They shed a lot of light on this subject!

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    It's always been pink and blue. It's just that during the Pressler/Harris years, the colors faded so badly that the pink was unrecognisable, and when the 50th rolled around, the punched-up coloring has made the pink more apparent.
    I've heard that story many times, but I also seem to recall a period long before Pressler/Harris where the previously pink part of the castle was actually painted a blue/grey.

In addition to my recollections of the blue/gray paint...here's some old photos pre-Pressler where it looks blue/grey to me:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Here's a shot from Oogie's retro pictures thread:

The light pink is aready there in this shot from 1958.

Oogie's thread is at this link:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ighlight=retro

By the way, is everyone aware that Oogie's thread has been LOCKED due to inactivity?

Maybe we could cajole the admins to unlock it as this was an amazing thread with plenty of milage left in it.

Back on topic...yeah. I seem to remember some shots from the late 60's or 70's where the pink disappeared from the castle. I'll see if I can find them.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

After looking at this one from the 1960's, I think the other shots I was thinking of are more a problem with resolution than the castle being painted different colors. There are several from the 70's where the castle appears GREEN but the same film shows reds and blues in spots they shouldn't be. You know...that whole groovy 70's film thing. So...in the 60's it's looking PINKER than in the 50's?

How funny! You're right, it does look very pink in that picture though. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this white, pink, blue dilemma,lol.