Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Question Trip Questions/Advice

Hey everyone. This summer I am hoping to get down to Disneyland with a few friends. This will all be our first without-parent trip to Disneyland (we are college students) and I was kinda designated the one to find out everything and plan it - haha. I'm realizing that when parents take care of trips, it's much easier!

I have a few questions and was hoping I could get some advice.

It looks like we are going down at the end of August - I know it'll be busy, but how bad is the park at the end of summer?

As for hotels, I'm pretty clueless here. We don't really need much, and I was looking at different Costco Travel deals. But I was just wondering what budget hotels you guys think are best that are close to the park. There is a chance we might get a suite, so advice on those would be cool too.

Well, thanks in advance - look forward to all of your expert advice!

• Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Trip Questions/Advice

as for hotels, the Del Sol and Desert in are awesome! right across the street and very friendly staff, the last 4 years, these were the only places we have stayed.

as for august, the one time i have been there then, its pretty bad.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I don't care when you go. Any time, especially during the summer, it is going to be packed.

If you are going to have a car with you, you do not have to stay in Anaheim. There are inexpensive hotels right near the resort, but my suggestion would be to stay in an inexpensive hotel in Costa Mesa which is right near Newport Beach. This way you can also go to the beach if you want. If you are all a bunch of college age kids, trust me someone is going to want to go to the beach. Plus, it's August, and to go to Southern California in August without going to the beach is just as bad as not going to Disneyland!

• "714"

Also if you go on Disneyland.com and click on the celendar section you can get a print out of all the events (and times) that are going on during your stay and the park hours. I found it very useful, the thing is im not sure if they have the celendar up for aug. yet. *sigh* yep unfortunately you pick a busy time to go (summer gets a lot of crowds) but lokk at it this why....if your there a few days you'll get to see just about everything. have fun and good luck!

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
    MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

• Food & Whine Aficianado

Your best bet for a decent hotel at a great price is to use the "name your own price" feature at Priceline. If you select a 3-star hotel, you will usually get the Hyatt Regency on Harbor Blvd. I stayed there last week with a bid of $45/night and in late July for only a few dollars more. The hotel has large, clean rooms with super-comfy beds. Added plusses are an extremely friendly staff and on-site Starbucks and Pizza Hut. With all taxes and valet parking, it was still less than $70/night (less than some truly terrible nearby motels).

The only downside is that it is not walking distance to DL, but they offer a free shuttle that departs every 30 minutes. For my 3-day stay I saved nearly $500 by staying at the Hyatt instead of a standard-view room at Paradise Pier (the only on-site hotel that had rooms available for my last-minute trip).
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• Minion

I know I will probably get booed for this but...

stay right accross the street! It is so much easier than dealing with parking or shuttles. If you stay within walking distance you can be back at your hotel in minutes, whenever you want. Some suggestions:
    Best Western Park Place, The Carousel, The Tropicana and The Candy Cane.
    Have fun!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I don't care when you go. Any time, especially during the summer, it is going to be packed.

If you are going to have a car with you, you do not have to stay in Anaheim. There are inexpensive hotels right near the resort, but my suggestion would be to stay in an inexpensive hotel in Costa Mesa which is right near Newport Beach. This way you can also go to the beach if you want. If you are all a bunch of college age kids, trust me someone is going to want to go to the beach. Plus, it's August, and to go to Southern California in August without going to the beach is just as bad as not going to Disneyland!

I'll second that idea. Well.... I suppose it depends on how many days you plan on spending at Disneyland. Even if you're going two days back to back, you'll find that driving into the Mickey & Friends parking structure ain't that hard. It might cost you $10 a day to do that, but you'll certainly save on lodging.

How long do you plan on staying? If you're staying awhile and only hitting up the parks for some of it, a lot of us here can recommend some fun things to do in Orange County.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Okay, my advice would be, combine the advice you are getting here, and priceline bid a 3 star hotel in costa mesa!

• Food & Whine Aficianado

Quote Originally Posted by awesomemama View Post
    Okay, my advice would be, combine the advice you are getting here, and priceline bid a 3 star hotel in costa mesa!
    That is a GREAT idea! What you want to select on the Priceline site is "Orange County Coastal" (which encompasses Newport Beach and Huntington Beach).
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• Rock Star Minion

Check for when the SoCal APs clear their blocked-out period (calendars on Disney web site). Try to go before that (when they're still blocked). There is usually a rather large push from the "junkies" who have been "Jonesin'" all summer for a trip to DL.
    OK, I looked it up for you: Sun Aug 19 is the first non-blocked out date, after 50 straight blocked out dates. Finish your trip before then, and you should be a bit better off.
    Depending on when your summer break starts, you should try to go before our Memorial Day.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

I don't know if you have the Entertainment Book, but if you do the card lets you get a great rate at the Howard Johnson most nights, though you'd want to book early as summer is busy

Still you can usually get 55-70 per night.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by BB07 View Post
    It looks like we are going down at the end of August - I know it'll be busy, but how bad is the park at the end of summer?

As for hotels, I'm pretty clueless here. We don't really need much, and I was looking at different Costco Travel deals. But I was just wondering what budget hotels you guys think are best that are close to the park. There is a chance we might get a suite, so advice on those would be cool too.

Well, thanks in advance - look forward to all of your expert advice!

We went this past summer the last week of August and the crowds were GREAT!

A lot of people swear by the Howard Johnson's. I've had mostly good exprieces there. Just be sure to get a room that's not on the freeway side if that's where you decide to go!

• ....whatever....

I went twice last summer in August and it wasn't THAT bad. 1x it was a Thursday night 5 pm and on it was great- 15 minutes wait average. The other was a Saturday (yuck, but expected worse). I don't know if it was a fluke or just luck. If possible try to go during the week.

• Sock Puppet

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it.

We don't have a firm date set just yet, but I'm thinking from August 21st to August 25th. We would travel on Tuesday the 21st and Saturday the 25th. That would leave Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday for Disneyland. I personally want to do some sight-seeing in Orange County as well, but I'm not sure if the others want to. But I'll try to convince them!

I'll have to look into Priceline, that sounds like a pretty good deal for the Hyatt.

• Sock Puppet

Quick question about Priceline. After you name a price and area, will it show you deals? Or are you forced to take a deal? Just curious to see if I can look up pricing or not. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast