Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Premium Youngling and

Lightbulb Copyright Infringement!

I was just watching the Rose Parade. On one of the floats this year, there were two dragons dueling while "flying" around a castle. The dragons breathed fire back and forth at each other. A certain soundtrack caught my attention... it was the music from the dragon scene of Fantasmic! Did the company that used the song on thier float need to get permission to use the soundtrack or is it just like buying a Disney CD and playing it to a bunch of people?

• Animatronic

Re: Copyright Infringement!

Quote Originally Posted by AbominableSnowman1 View Post
    I was just watching the Rose Parade. On one of the floats this year, there were two dragons dueling while "flying" around a castle. The dragons breathed fire back and forth at each other. A certain soundtrack caught my attention... it was the music from the dragon scene of Fantasmic! Did the company that used the song on thier float need to get permission to use the soundtrack or is it just like buying a Disney CD and playing it to a bunch of people?
    Disney stole all the music in Fantasia, which is the base for Fantasmic. It might have been a non-disney classical bit that Disney uses.

• ...TWO BITS!

"Night on Bald Mountain" was written before Fantasia's time. Plus no one is really paying to see the parade, thus no profit is made, so it's okay. Then again, I don't know if the copyrights are still with that music piece because it's quite old. Previous years, a dinosaur float used music from Jurassic Park. This year there was also music on a planet float with "2001: A Space Odyessy"....

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Minion

WOW.

Proof that music education in our public school systems is on the decline (or gone completely depending on where you live...)

• Minion

This board is starting to sound like Mouseinfo lately...

• Vehicle rotating backward

Today's Magical Phrase is:
    "Public Domain"

• Premium Youngling and

The float is on right now! ch 5

• :)

you also cant forget, they could of just made another one with a different beat or even by adding a simple little sound every few seconds, by doing this it isnt considered copyright infringement and is their own piece of work.

• Thurl,gone,not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    Plus no one is really paying to see the parade, thus no profit is made, so it's okay.
    Don't tell that to all the people who payed good money for their seats,and the network sponsors.I guess all the money goes to Pasadena.

• Thurl,gone,not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by mulishaCM View Post
    you also cant forget, they could of just made another one with a different beat or even by adding a simple little sound every few seconds, by doing this it isnt considered copyright infringement and is their own piece of work.
    Just like all the rappers sampling music,right?

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTheodore View Post
    Don't tell that to all the people who payed good money for their seats,and the network sponsors.I guess all the money goes to Pasadena.
    Hmmm... good point. I know at Knott's Scary Farm they don't want people videotaping any shows cause they really don't have copyrights to the characters they use...

I don't think I'll ever fully understand copyrights... lots of little things to consider here and there.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AbominableSnowman1 View Post
    I was just watching the Rose Parade. On one of the floats this year, there were two dragons dueling while "flying" around a castle. The dragons breathed fire back and forth at each other. A certain soundtrack caught my attention... it was the music from the dragon scene of Fantasmic! Did the company that used the song on their float need to get permission to use the soundtrack or is it just like buying a Disney CD and playing it to a bunch of people?
    Good catch Abominable. But it isn't an infringement. A lot of Walt's early films used music which was in the public domain. Fantasia, the Silly Symphonies, even Sleeping Beauty used classical music which Walt didn't have to pay royalties for.

But even if the float had used music which belonged to Disney, or anyone else for that matter, all they would have to do is pay the licensing fees. Disney does it all the time. Ever listened to the music on Main Street? Those songs you hear from the Music Man aren't Disney's.

All this talk makes me want to watch Fantasia again. Haven't done that in years.

-Dusty
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Yes, I heard that music too. I think this might have already been stated but a lot of classical music is so old that either it was never copywritten, or the copyirght by now has expired.

For example, they could have used the Bach Tocatta and Fugue. There is absolutely no copyright on this piece of music and they could have used it anyway they wanted.

Which begs me to ask: Why would the use of Night on Bald Mountain costiture copyright infringement? I am sure if they had used the Tocatta and Fugue, or Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony, that no one would have made the connections that those were also used in a Disney movie.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by mulishaCM View Post
    You are 100% wrong on that matter. Doing what you said is creating what is known in the Copyright Act as a "derivative work" and IS copyright infringement.

However, as everyone pointed out in this thread, the piece of music used on the rose parade float is in the public domain. So you can make derivative works or publicly perform "A Night on Bald Mountain" to your heart's content.

Check out this page http://www.artsig.com/go/main/help?name=help/copyright

for a few definitions.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    "Night on Bald Mountain" was written before Fantasia's time. Plus no one is really paying to see the parade, thus no profit is made, so it's okay.
    No, no, no. Copyright infringement can most certainly occur when no profit is made. The amount of money that you (didn't) make may limit your damages, but that isn't the same as "no infringement."
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast