Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 55
  1. #16

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    17,659
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Rockin' Both Parks ad images - What do you think?

    I could make better ads/commercials on my Rollercoaster Tycoon game !

    The ads don't do anything for the rides. All people would probably do is walk by the sign, say "Huh?," and then walk away.

  2. #17

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,518

    Re: Rockin' Both Parks ad images - What do you think?

    So when does Disney start adding old Red Hot Chili Peppers music and concert lighting to Big Thunder, the Jungle Cruise, and It's a Small World?

    This whole idea is poorly conceived. Perhaps, Disney is wanting to keep expectations low.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-01-2007 at 02:23 PM.

  3. #18

    • I can't stand you.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    714 So Cal
    Posts
    567

    Re: Rockin' Both Parks ad images - What do you think?

    Well to me it seems to bare I kind of like the mickey but I don't really like it to much. Not to be picky but its a big company you'd think they wouldn't have problems putting together a great lookin promo but no harm done. Its the ride that's the main focus not the ads


  4. #19

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    276

    Re: Rockin' Both Parks ad images - What do you think?

    I neither think they are brilliant nor bad, i think i like them

  5. #20

    • Shredder
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    435

    Re: Rockin' Both Parks ad images - What do you think?

    As a 3 year student of Graphic Artistry, I'd have to say that I like them! They are really effective at the message they put out. First the thing that really stands out is the center of interest, this being the Mickey symbol that Disney has been really using a lot lately but I like how they used speakers this time to tell what the Ad is about! When you look at the speakers, you think about an audio thing, maybe an event of some kind, but then there's the ride in the background. To just seeing the speakers, you think "Speakers... Space Mountain/California Screamin'... Maybe it's some thing that has to do with the music on both rides... Rockin' Both Parks... I get it!"

    The flashy blue and yellow are just trying to get your attention plus they go along with the main color scheme of the rides and their location. They really are quite creative when you think about it, I mean, the main goal of a graphic artist is to capture the attention of the audience anyway and then use that attention to tell about or show what ever you are selling or doing in a span of a few seconds so honestly... Disney did fine with it. I'd like a little more info on the subject and maybe some more detail but those I guess are just pipe dreams.

    Current WDI Imagineer: "But we made great attractions like Pirates of the Carribean!!!"
    Cast Member: "No, WED made Pirates of the Caribbean, you guys made things like 'Spare Park' [DCA]"

  6. #21

    • Defying gravity
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,345

    Re: Rockin' Both Parks ad images - What do you think?

    Vague, very very vague.....

  7. #22

    • Directly directed
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: Rockin' Both Parks ad images - What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by doombuggy driver View Post
    I like the ads.

    We will be there tomorrow to ride them the old fashioned way and Wednesday to ride the rockin versions. I can't wait!!!
    I'm so jealous!

    I like the Space Mt one.The others use a weird shade of yellow

  8. #23

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,138

    Re: Rockin' Both Parks ad images - What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vashsky666 View Post
    As a 3 year student of Graphic Artistry, I'd have to say that I like them! They are really effective at the message they put out. First the thing that really stands out is the center of interest, this being the Mickey symbol that Disney has been really using a lot lately but I like how they used speakers this time to tell what the Ad is about! When you look at the speakers, you think about an audio thing, maybe an event of some kind, but then there's the ride in the background. To just seeing the speakers, you think "Speakers... Space Mountain/California Screamin'... Maybe it's some thing that has to do with the music on both rides... Rockin' Both Parks... I get it!"

    The flashy blue and yellow are just trying to get your attention plus they go along with the main color scheme of the rides and their location. They really are quite creative when you think about it, I mean, the main goal of a graphic artist is to capture the attention of the audience anyway and then use that attention to tell about or show what ever you are selling or doing in a span of a few seconds so honestly... Disney did fine with it. I'd like a little more info on the subject and maybe some more detail but those I guess are just pipe dreams.
    I disagree. As a graphic design student myself, I hardly find these ads to be effective. The Space Mountain one is fine.. the colors work very well together... I do, however, think they need to incorporate some sort of logo into it, and the Speaker Mickey should be part of that logo... the attraction logo and Speaker Mickey shouldn't be distinctively separate parts of the ad.

    The California Screamin' ad, however, is ugly. I understand that Speaker Mickey is supposed to represent the Mickey icon that the Screamin' loop passes through, but the concept is lost because the transparency filter washes out the coaster too much. It also leaves a lot of dead space at the bottom of the ad.

    The problem, however, is that these ads are so vague. They really don't tell the consumer what they're selling. Print ads should be quick, to the point, and shouldn't be leaving the consumer asking questions.

    I think what would have been much more effective was to create a stylized, illustrated ad campaign. Something that could have integrated their previous 80s-style logo (which is not the best logo, but is far superior to the new one).

    Now they have 2 different logos floating around, a 2 distinctively different and equally vague ad campaigns. It's a mess.

    I suppose this ad campaign is an improvement over the last campaign with bad photos of the ride vehicles on a black background. That was too tacky and poorly designed for words.

    But I still don't think the new ads are good.
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 01-01-2007 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Correcting grammar issues because apparently, I suck at the English language.

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  9. #24

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,103

    Re: Rockin' Both Parks ad images - What do you think?

    Nice concept. Good idea.

  10. #25

    • Happiest Girl On Earth
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Irvine/Orange, CA
    Posts
    268

    Re: Rockin' Both Parks ad images - What do you think?

    I actually think that the first one is ok; just with "Rockin' Both Parks" and that's it... It's vague, but cute and a bit intriguing. It looks like something I would see on Disney property, maybe in a newspaper, but I would prefer not to see it all over the place. I REALLY don't like the Screamin one... I think that they could've made it less obvious, as though you would look at it and realize that something is different, and then notice that there's speakers where the regular Mickey head is. I definitely am not liking the spiraly sunburst things on either of the ride promotions.

    But you win some, you lose some... And I'm sure people will definitely be running out to see it anyway... You know I will!

    There I was somewhere West of Tomorrowland
    Flying through the stars just like
    Peter Pan
    I said...Dang this looks too good to be true...

    It's a nice day when you wake up in
    Disneyland...
    -Five For Fighting, "Disneyland"

  11. #26

    • Shredder
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    435

    Re: Rockin' Both Parks ad images - What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    I disagree. As a graphic design student myself, I hardly find these ads to be effective. The Space Mountain one is fine.. the colors work very well together... I do, however, think they need to incorporate some sort of logo into it, and the Speaker Mickey should be part of that logo... the attraction logo and Speaker Mickey shouldn't be distinctively separate parts of the ad.

    The California Screamin' ad, however, is ugly. I understand that Speaker Mickey is supposed to represent the Mickey icon that the Screamin' loop passes through, but the concept is lost because the transparency filter washes out the coaster too much. It also leaves a lot of dead space at the bottom of the ad.

    The problem, however, is that these ads are so vague. They really don't tell the consumer what they're selling. Print ads should be quick, to the point, and shouldn't be leaving the consumer asking questions.

    I think what would have been much more effective was to create a stylized, illustrated ad campaign. Something that could have integrated their previous 80s-style logo (which is not the best logo, but is far superior to the new one).

    Now they have 2 different logos floating around, a 2 distinctively different and equally vague ad campaigns. It's a mess.

    I suppose this ad campaign is an improvement over the last campaign with bad photos of the ride vehicles on a black background. That was too tacky and poorly designed for words.

    But I still don't think the new ads are good.
    Judging by the dimensions of the Ad however, these must have been intended to be posted on areas where people would just past by them, in order to capture the attention of the audience, you have to leave the person hanging! Movie posters all over the place leave people wondering about the film and what the plot is, until they actually see it or hear about it, they'll never know.

    In this case, it's a temporary ride overlay that you have to tell people... I saw a news broadcast explaining this Rockin' Both Parks and they couldn't even do it in 5 minutes, what makes us that the Disney graphic artist can pull it off with a couple of images? The bottom line is that they tried and yes they may be weak attempts but what else could they have done?

    Current WDI Imagineer: "But we made great attractions like Pirates of the Carribean!!!"
    Cast Member: "No, WED made Pirates of the Caribbean, you guys made things like 'Spare Park' [DCA]"

  12. #27

    • Prefect
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hogwarts
    Posts
    3,804
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Rockin' Both Parks ad images - What do you think?

    I like the "general" one & the Space one, but not the Screamin' one. It seems like it should fit on the facade of the coaster better. I guess it depends on how they are used, but I do like the "speaker Mickey."
    <o>

  13. #28

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,138

    Re: Rockin' Both Parks ad images - What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vashsky666 View Post
    Judging by the dimensions of the Ad however, these must have been intended to be posted on areas where people would just past by them, in order to capture the attention of the audience, you have to leave the person hanging! Movie posters all over the place leave people wondering about the film and what the plot is, until they actually see it or hear about it, they'll never know.

    In this case, it's a temporary ride overlay that you have to tell people... I saw a news broadcast explaining this Rockin' Both Parks and they couldn't even do it in 5 minutes, what makes us that the Disney graphic artist can pull it off with a couple of images? The bottom line is that they tried and yes they may be weak attempts but what else could they have done?
    The problem with your argument is this:
    Underneath the train station tunnels at Disneyland there are attraction posters. Each poster tells you exactly what the attraction is by interesting, captivating visuals and clever and to-the-point captions.

    These attraction posters are big advertisments. The Rockin' Both Parks ads should work the same way. Unfortunately, they're vague and uninteresting to look at.


    And movie posters aren't intended to tell you the plot. That would ruin the film. They are intended to give you an idea of what the film is about, however, through interesting imagry, taglines, and the appropriate use of typography.

    These Rockin' ads are boring, and that isn't what we should be expecting from these overlays. So if Disney is just being honest and giving us boring ads for some boring overlays, then I applaud the graphic artist. But I don't think that was the intention.

    Telling you what to expect in a new attraction overlay through the marketing isn't going to ruin the experience, instead its going to entice you to come back to actually experience it. If you have no idea what it is, you don't know if it will interest you, therefore you won't care to come back and see it.

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  14. #29

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.
    Posts
    5,972

    Re: Rockin' Both Parks ad images - What do you think?

    first look at the photos has inspired this from me:

    Dig that speaker mickey
    loud music is on its way
    I'll be able to rock out (so long as my CS' train speakers are working)
    and
    Man, can't wait till the end of the month

    they aren't over the top ads, which i'm sure woudl bring about a whole different thread complaining about it. i dig it.
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-


    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.








  15. #30

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,061

    Re: Rockin' Both Parks ad images - What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    These Rockin' ads are boring, and that isn't what we should be expecting from these overlays.
    Not what we should expect, but what we are expecting.


    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    So if Disney is just being honest and giving us boring ads for some boring overlays, then I applaud the graphic artist. But I don't think that was the intention.
    Actually a little honesty on Disney's part is refreshing. But wouldn't it be hilarious if the publicity were more tasteful than the product.


    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    If you have no idea what it is, you don't know if it will interest you, therefore you won't care to come back and see it.
    The vagueness of the Rockin' campaign is intentional, so that it will fit in nicely with the whole "Castle in the Clouds" campaign.

    I saw the commercial today, and my thought was that it sure is obvious that the "Both Parks" is just another marketing feature for the 2fer.


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ROCKIN' Both Parks... again?
    By ORANGEandBLACK in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-01-2008, 03:51 PM
  2. Rockin' Both Parks
    By PragmaticIdealist in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-28-2006, 03:51 PM
  3. Rockin' Both Parks
    By Uzmati in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-16-2006, 04:53 PM
  4. Rockin' Both Parks
    By Pirateheatther in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-09-2006, 05:18 PM
  5. Rockin' both parks?
    By ~*~Aniko~*~ in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-15-2006, 02:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •