Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Rockin' Both Parks ad images - What do you think?

I run the Disneyland Resort group on MySpace, and I use the group to keep myself familiar with HTML and keep my Photoshop skills somewhat decent since I mostly work in Adobe Illustrator...

So with that said, I just updated the group's profile with Rockin' Both Parks info. For the main banner for the group, I used existing Rockin' artwork by Disney but changed it up a bit to hopefully make the banner (which is essentially an ad of sorts) more clear as to what the attractions are.

I used a simple tagline, and some old press photos I had stored on my computer. The press photos show guests on the attraction, having a good time, and the attractoin itself. I think Disney has made a mistake with their advertising for this - they've either been showing ugly shots of ride vehicles, or boring press shots of the attraction. Neither of which show the excitement and emotion that the attractions bring ... Showing both the outside of the attraction and people having a good time in the ride vehicles, with the Speaker Mickey icon tells you which attractions are getting the rockin' makeover, but also shows you that it's going to be a fun ride.

I also used the previous logo, which is, in my opinion, far superior to the old english-style font with the plain san-serif font.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 01-03-2007 at 01:06 AM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I think it looks fantastic, Master Gracey!

Though the only thing I might change is to have Disneyland's logo on the left and DCA's logo on the right.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I think it looks fantastic, Master Gracey!

Though the only thing I might change is to have Disneyland's logo on the left and DCA's logo on the right.
    Why would that be necessary? I used the all-encompassing Disneyland Resort logo. "Resort" appears tiny, but hey- it's there. Disney has been downplaying the "Resort" part of the logo recently anyway, so it all works out.

| | |

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Why would that be necessary? I used the all-encompassing Disneyland Resort logo. "Resort" appears tiny, but hey- it's there. Disney has been downplaying the "Resort" part of the logo recently anyway, so it all works out.
    It works, but it's just my preference. Note that I didn't say YOU should change it.

I'm not sure, but last time I was at Disneyland and I was looking at the speakers on Space Mtn cars and they look like they make hidden Mickeys. haha Like the ad!
    Currently at DreamWorks Animation SKG

Former Disneyland Adventureland Castmember
    [Skipper & Archaeologist]

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    It works, but it's just my preference. Note that I didn't say YOU should change it.
    I just re-read my post... Sorry if I sounded snippy. Didn't mean it.

But thanks for the compliment and suggestion.

| | |

• I Love Disneyland!!

I think it looks amazing and from a marketing background... I think it speaks volumes for what is actually being advertised.
    The stuff that is going out by Disney is not clear on what change is being made and WHY I should come back to take advantage of it!

Having 2 logos in the add would do nothing for this but make it messy looking. The Mickey in the center tells you exactly who is doing the advertising.
    I'm addicted and I don't care!!!

Master Gracey's ad sure looks more exciting than Disney's.

The speakers to me just look amateurish, but what's up with the writing? I understand they used the classic Disneyland font but it looks thirty years old. I think the letters need to be thicker and closer together.

It's funny there's a whole thread on this because when I first saw these ads I actually thought how bad they look. I don't critique every ad I see from Disney. Usually they're just nice.

From a marketing perspective, what does Mickey really have to do with these attractions at all? Nothing. Well, maybe on California Screamin'. But,that's anothing thing that feels amateur to me. It's the "Let's just stamp three circles on it" mentality. If Mickey had to be involved, why not show Mickey rockin' out? You know, not just cutting and pasting speaker icons, but really designing a logo. For Space Mountain he could be rocking out in a space suit, and for Screamin' he could be rocking out in an old 30s pier swimsuit.

What else I think is drastically wrong with this marketing is the Red Hot Chili Peppers! Yech! I'm not putting down anybody who likes them but I don't so it doesn't excite me. I like Sinatra but I'm sure plenty of people don't. What if it was Sinatra singing, "Come Fly With Me" on Space Mountain. Anyone who isn't a Sinatra fan wouldn't care.

But what if they simply said it is updated with an all new Rockin' soundtrack WITHOUT trying to connect some name to it. Wouldn't they get an even WIDER audience? Not just fans of Red Hot Chili Peppers but anybody who wants to experience an all new updated attraction.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ChimneySweep View Post
    What else I think is drastically wrong with this marketing is the Red Hot Chili Peppers! Yech! I'm not putting down anybody who likes them but I don't so it doesn't excite me. I like Sinatra but I'm sure plenty of people don't. What if it was Sinatra singing, "Come Fly With Me" on Space Mountain. Anyone who isn't a Sinatra fan wouldn't care.

Hehe I love Sinatra too but I sure don't want it on a rollercoaster. But hehe, I sure don't want RHCP either. They just don't "rock" to me.

i like the Mickey head with the speakers, but the background seems just so simple, almost like something I could have made myself in photoshop.

Chimneysweep, I think they used Mickey's head just cuz it's sort of the icon of Disney parks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234