Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Snow White Question

Hi! I'm new here and have been lurking for a month or so. Sorry if this is a question that has been answered before. I have been going to Disneyland since the beginning and was born the same year it opened (hoping to be there for the 100th anniversary!). I remember as a young child going into a dark ride, which I think was Snow White, and ducking to avoid strings or something that would hang down and brush against your face while you went through the ride. Everyone I mention this to doesn't remember it so I figure this would be the perfect place to ask.
    On a side note I ran into Walt Disney twice while at Disneyland. Once he was in the waiting area of the Tiki Room and once he was up on the umbrella platform area of Small World. He was signing maps for kids at the Tiki Room but I was too shy to approach him to ask for his autograph. How I regret that decision now!
    Thanks for any input on my question. This is a great site!

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Re: Snow White Question

Wow, thats pretty cool that you saw him!
    I have no idea about the strings or whatever, but Im sure someone here will.
    Welcome to MiceChat!
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Still lost in Neverland

I do remember the hanging threads but I can't for the life of remember if it was on the original version of the Snow White ride or not. I know the ride was changed at one point and many scary things that were in there in the original version were taken out.

Welcome to Mice Chat and I hope you make it to Disneyland's 100th. I was born long before the Park opened so I was 13 the day it opened and was there along with my sister (Wendy Girl) and we both were there for the 50th. We went on Monday July 18th, 1955 (my birthday) which was the day it first opened to the public and again 50 years later on Monday July 18th, 2005.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Premium Youngling and

Yeah I have never heard of the strings...

I cant believe you were able to even see Walt! That is sooo awesome!

Welcome to Mice Chat!

• Shredder

Wow... Welcome to Micechat and I hope you are there for the 100th as well, as far as the Snow White thing goes.. I don't know what to tell ya, I wasn't there until about '90.

Current WDI Imagineer: "But we made great attractions like Pirates of the Carribean!!!"
    Cast Member: "No, WED made Pirates of the Caribbean, you guys made things like 'Spare Park' [DCA]"

Smile Re: Snow White Question

Thanks for the kind welcome and thanks to Lost Boy for remembering the strings. I was beginning to think I had imagined the whole thing! My husband told me that I was probably confusing it with some carnival ride since he couldn't believe that Disney would put something like that in a ride. All I remember is that it gave me the creeps - and still does 40+ years later!

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

ya know i kinda maybe vaguely remember something like that... was it snow white?? for some reason i remember tomorrowland? so figure that out.. welcome to micechat

My Maleficent tattoo

• Across From DL

Welcome To MiceChat!

Will you be attending our 2 year meet?

"To All Who Come To This Happy Place Your Welcome!"

• Shubisha

Ok you just brought back an issue from my childhood as well.

I was at some fair or amusement park thing with my school somewhere in 2nd-4th grade. It could've been magic mountain for all I know :P Well probably not, all I remember is walking through some gardens and needing tickets to ride on things. Some older girls went on a haunted house type ride and when they were describing it to me they mentioned a sticky hand hanging down that brushes against your face.

It got mentioned at another haunted house thing up in northern california, but I've never seen it or even heard of it since elementary school.

• My laughing place

Welcome to MiceChat !! It is soo col that you got a chance to see Walt at Disneyland. That has to be a pretty special memory. I wish I could help you on the Snow White question, but Im sure that part was taken out long before I was on the ride.
    Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
    http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

• Former Cast Member

I totally remember the strings hanging from the ceiling. It was in the evil forest section of the dark ride. I do not think they have them anymore though.

Quote Originally Posted by momofmonsters View Post
    Hi! I'm new here and have been lurking for a month or so. Sorry if this is a question that has been answered before. I have been going to Disneyland since the beginning and was born the same year it opened (hoping to be there for the 100th anniversary!). I remember as a young child going into a dark ride, which I think was Snow White, and ducking to avoid strings or something that would hang down and brush against your face while you went through the ride. Everyone I mention this to doesn't remember it so I figure this would be the perfect place to ask.
    On a side note I ran into Walt Disney twice while at Disneyland. Once he was in the waiting area of the Tiki Room and once he was up on the umbrella platform area of Small World. He was signing maps for kids at the Tiki Room but I was too shy to approach him to ask for his autograph. How I regret that decision now!
    Thanks for any input on my question. This is a great site!

• Directly directed

Welcome to Mice Chat!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Welcome to MiceChat, and awesome! Walt has his own cult here lol

As for Snow White, I wasn't alive before the revamp for the ride (it gave kids and adults alike fright-in one book a father is quoted at yelling at a CM with a crying daughter because they didn't think the ride would be so scary). Hence why the name of the attraction was changed...from I think the original title was Snow White's Adventures to Snow White's Scary Adventures. They also made sure that the queue was really creepy, and the Imagineers figured that if the kids could handle that, they could handle the ride.

• Embrace the kitsch!

I've consulted "Snow White & the Making of the Classic Film" by Richard Holliss and Brian Sibley. Page 86 shows a schematic of the ride w/ the threads hanging down just before the scene where the witch dips the apple.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

The mine ride during Knott's Haunt has strings hanging down in probably the same way... it was really creepy since you can't see them at all, and I bet it'd bring up some sort of safety issues (getting snagged on jewelry?) and such nowadays. Cool to hear those stories though, I wish someone would compile all the old changes in the original dark rides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast