• Minion

Thoughts on the ToT preshow video (while watching Twilight Zone marathon onTV :) )

I've been watching the New Year's Twilight Zone marathon on Sci-Fi Channel, and naturally thinking of ToT. It's one of my favorite rides at the DLR (I've never been to WDW), but there are a few things that have always bugged me about the preshow video, and I thought I'd see what others thought of it.

I like how they use the appropriate-sounding pre-existing Serling intro (from the "It's a Good Life" episode, I read). However, there are a number of very-obviously-not-1960's-television effects used in the video, like the light enamating from between the elevator doors and the exterior shots of the hotel, particularly the lightening effect. I have no problem with the modern effects used in the ride itself, but while we're watching the show we're supposed to be watching an actual, genuine episode of the Twilight Zone series, and the twist is, OMG, we're in the show. Also, I think because they bothered to make it black and white, they should make it look like the real thing, with more old-school effects. The other thing is that I don't think the effects they've got are particularly impressive by today's standards, either - they look like TV-movie CGI. All just IMHO, of course . Do they use the same video here that they created for the original ToT?

The video works well enough to set up the story, and I don't know how much your average guest would care about this sort of thing.

The last time I went on Indiana Jones, I noticed how much better I liked the faux 1930's newsreels than I did the ToT video. But maybe that's just because I haven't seen as many real newsreels (I've seen a few on the AMC channel) as I have real Twilight Zone episodes.

I also had an idea for an additional effect that they could do in the video. At the end, Serling would be seen standing outside the hotel in front of a window in the rain. Through the window can be seen a group of people, out of focus. They could either find another appropriate pre-existing clip of Serling, or CGI his mouth to make him say what they want. Then, as he says, "because in tonight's episode, *you* are the star," the camera would pan past him through the window and reveal that *we* are the people standing in the room. At that moment, a lightening flash could reveal Serling's sihloutte outside one of the windows of the real room.

I don't know if they have the technology to do this (not that they're going to do it, anyway ) but I figure if they can make Crush talk to people in real time, they can mat a hidden camera video of guests into a pre-shot scene in real time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Re: Thoughts on the ToT preshow video (while watching Twilight Zone marathon onTV :)

I think it's hard to reproduce something to look old (especially since the exterior is computer enhanced). The reason why they can't show Rod Serling out is well, there really was no episode of ToT as it's supposed to be a 'lost episode' and the voice dub of Rod Serling looks nothing like him.

The pre-show at MGM is the same except for the exterior shots.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Up is Down

Re: Thoughts on the ToT preshow video (while watching Twilight Zone marathon onTV :)

For what it is it works but new black and white anything looks way better then the old stuff the stock is just better. they would have to run it through a computer to make it look older and I think that would probably be worse.
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

• Minion

I don't have so much of a problem with the film quality, just the effects.

If it were up to me (and, as we all know, it ain't ) I'd just take a regular, non-enhanced (other than making it B & W) exterior shot of the Tower building, maybe on a cloudy or stormy day, and then use whatever kind of lightening effects they would have used in the 1960's (hand-drawn animation of a lightening bolt?). Or at least CGI that looked like it.

As far as making Serling say what they want, I was thinking of those commercials from a few years ago where they had Fred Astaire dancing with a mop. If they can do that, I think they can manipulate footage of Serling to have his mouth movements fit with a couple lines of dialogue.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    I don't have so much of a problem with the film quality, just the effects.

If it were up to me (and, as we all know, it ain't ) I'd just take a regular, non-enhanced (other than making it B & W) exterior shot of the Tower building, maybe on a cloudy or stormy day, and then use whatever kind of lightening effects they would have used in the 1960's (hand-drawn animation of a lightening bolt?). Or at least CGI that looked like it.
    Interesting, but I like it the way it is, IMO. The switch from the real Rod Serling to the voice dubber is flawless.

Also, and this is from what I've heard and off topic, but if there really is a lightning storm anywhere near ToT they have to shut down the ride due to it's power grid not being part of DCA's...
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

I don't like the fact that both Indy and The Twilight Zone presentations look like they were shot on video, instead of film.

There is software readily available that can make video look like film, so Disney should run those presentations through that processing in order to achieve a convincing effect. Or, some of the pieces should just be re-shot.

• Shubisha

They were shot on film :P And a lot of people who are quality buffs don't like the conversion process anyways.

As for the effects, you're a small minority on this matter probably, but it's an interesting point of view. I think that if they used some real cheesy(by today's standards) effects that would have really been used back when the show was in production, it would take people out of the moment too much and they'd be sitting there making fun of how fake that looked(then again we're out of the moment most of the time anyways because we've been on it 50 bajillion times and don't pay attention to the video but still).

• Minion

Thanks for your responses, everyone

As to the "cheesy" effects, the ones they've got now kinda struck me as cheesy - just present-day cheesy instead of 1960's cheesy.

I'll still love the attraction, life will go on - but it just seems kind of funny that Disney can make me feel like I'm hang-gliding or hurtling through space, but they can't make me feel like I'm watching a real episode of The Twilight Zone (which, ironically, takes me out of the moment.)

BTW, on the effects on the actual show - a lot of them are incredibly cheesy by today's standards, but there was one in effect in one episode that I saw involving melting paintings that was really effective. According to Wikipedia, "The effect of the oil paintings melting was accomplished by painting the pictures in wax on the surface of a hotplate." Today they would probably use CGI for that scene, and I don't think it would work as well.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    Interesting, but I like it the way it is, IMO. The switch from the real Rod Serling to the voice dubber is flawless.

Also, and this is from what I've heard and off topic, but if there really is a lightning storm anywhere near ToT they have to shut down the ride due to it's power grid not being part of DCA's...
    really? i know at WDW TOT and RNRC are on their own grid....
    (if coaster launches and both shafts are in operation at TOT and it was on MGM's grid.. it would crash.. in theory..)

i believe most of the video is the same in DCA as it is from D-MGM. just changing the footage outside from MGM's to DCA's