Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• out & about

Boosting DCAs attendance numbers...

I noticed something the other day when listening to my friends story of his day at Disneyland.

Apparently when he arrived at DLR they were "sold out"! Not surprising, it was a busy day sometime between Christmas and New Years. My friend has a Premium Annual Pass. Upon trying to enter Disneyland he was told that the park was sold out and that he would have to enter DCA first the get a hand stamp and then enter Disneyland.

The problem I see with this is that we all know that the park guests decide to enter first technically gets the attendance number for that day. If CMs are telling guests (APs) to enter DCA first them Disneyland arent they really just artificially inflating DCA attendance numbers? Is this a tactic employeed by our new President, Grier to "improve" DCA attendance or is it truely just a glitch in the ticketing system?

Think about it... if Disneyland is sold out and they are not selling anymore tickets to the park why would they let someone in just because they went to DCA? I mean if the park is full the park is full, right? Why does going to DCA suddenly free up a spot over at Disneyland.

To me this sounds kinda suspicious. what do you think?
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

@WRDinc

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Re: Boosting DCAs attendance numbers...

The CM's are just letting people in on a loop hole. To get into the park, you have to have been in before they shut the gates. You get the handstamp from DCA.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

And how about all these "Disneyland after 5 PM", (also had 5:30 PM and 6 PM).

The first phase of the high attendance plans is to stop selling Disneyland one-day Tickets, once they reached a certain figure (based on vacation packages sold, hotel occupancy and expected amount of AP holders and those who bought tickets in advance that they think will show up that day).

So what does the Ticket Seller do when a guests shows up at the ticket booth wanting to see Disneyland, well they suggest buying a Multi-Day ParkHopper or a Disneyland AP (don't forget, the first day of use is never blocked out). But the guests says that is too much money, then the ticket seller offers a special ticket, that is only sold on these high attendance days. They are offered a chance to enter Disneyland after a certain time (as marked on the ticket) for the regular price ($63 until tomorrow), and to give them something to do, they can go visit DCA while they wait at no extra charge. Disney know that a fairly large set of folks will leave the park for the day after the parade is over (usually those who arrived at opening), making room for these new folks.

This is one reason why DCA was surprisingly quiet after 6 PM New Years Eve. Seems like a LOT of folks headed to Disneyland when they had the chance...

But guess what, the turnstile "click" is given to the first park a person enters that day, so you had a large group of folks who walked up to the Ticket Windows wanting to buy a Disneyland ticket, and it gets turned into DCA attendance....

Amazing, eh?
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Rock Star Minion

Improving DCA attendance with free-entry APs does not solve DCA's burden on DL. It only keeps the denial phase in place.

Burbank cast members have been told to enter DCA first with their guests, too. For almost six years now. Every little bit helps the executives. But it keeps DCA from its major overhaul.

DCA has fulfilled one of its purposes: to defeat the competition. Now, it should fulfill its should-have-been real purpose: to complement (and compete with) Disneyland. I think guests should have a real dilemma in the Esplanade as to which park to spend time in that day.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    DCA has fulfilled one of its purposes: to defeat the competition. Now, it should fulfill its should-have-been real purpose: to complement (and compete with) Disneyland. I think guests should have a real dilemma in the Esplanade as to which park to spend time in that day.
    They could have stuck a county fair across the Esplanade from Disneyland (nevermind that half of the park is that anyway) and the park would have still defeated the competition but only because it's so close to Disneyland.

I wish I would have a hard time deciding which park to go to when I arrive at the Resort.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

Let go through the 6 P's of marketing:

1. Product: Needs more attractions (too many empty buildings and restaurants not put to good use), too much empty space (lacks intimacy), needs to be guest friendlier (more rides that take you across the park when feet are tired), needs finer details in immersive experiances (as opposed to larger scaled ones).

2. Price: Needs to be lower vis au vis Disneyland, because the value is simpley not comparable in the marketplace.

3. Placement: Gates are too close together which create equal placement with Disneyland. However they are not of a coparable value. Problem needs solution! Mine? Lower affordably priced stand alone single day tickets available in the market place (gift cards, front gate, ticket vendors, etc) Re-position Disneyland's name to refer to the resort and not just one park.

4. Promotion: Need for preimium event status for media (this should be regularly not seasonally.) Need for extension of monorail to promote park changes without entry. More events need to be held here rather than in DL... Make doing so a more affordable option...

5. Imagination: Take So Cal'ers to places that they haven't been and likely never will see... There is a lot of CA to experiance, the park cannot cover all of it...
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    2. Price: Needs to be lower vis au vis Disneyland, because the value is simpley not comparable in the marketplace.

3. Placement: Gates are too close together which create equal placement with Disneyland. However they are not of a comparable value. Problem needs solution! Mine? Lower affordably priced stand alone single day tickets available in the market place (gift cards, front gate, ticket vendors, etc) Re-position Disneyland's name to refer to the resort and not just one park.
    Also, make AP's either single-park or two-park. That will help separate the revenue streams to provide financial evidence to show which park needs more investment.

I saw a 2-Fer TV promotion that I could not interpret. Anyone have more info on that? It was promoting the "Rockin'" aspects of Spacin' and Screamin', but I did not see the details? Anyone?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

I think they should start to phase out the 2-fer... They are giving too much away... there are better ways of making that promotion work.
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

I think they should start to phase out the 2-fer... They are giving too much away... there are better ways of making that promotion work.
    Um, do you have details on this promo? Same as Buy one day, get second day at other park free," or simply "Two-park admission is same cost as one-park admission"?

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Um, do you have details on this promo? Same as Buy one day, get second day at other park free," or simply "Two-park admission is same cost as one-park admission"?
    This is based on what I know, the official info should be posted at Disneyland.com tomorrow morning....

The "Pay for Disneyland® park on one day and in Disney's California Adventure® park on another day FREE!" ticket is back.
    2fer Ticket $66 Adults, $56 kids 3 thru 9 (Price is an educated guess, will place the exact amount on Wednesday, Jan. 3rd)

With the 2fer ticket, you can enjoy the celebration in Disneyland® park on one day and in Disney's California Adventure® park on another day FREE!

Admission valid for one day at Disneyland® park and another day at Disney's California Adventure® park.

• Tickets valid for Southern California residents within ZIP codes 90000-93599 and Northern Baja California residents within ZIP codes 21000-22999.

• Proof of residency required.

• Ticket valid 30 days from first use or through 4/26/07, whichever occurs first. Each use constitutes one full day of use.

• Limit 8 tickets (Ages 10+ & Ages 3-9) per order per day. Household can only order once per day and twice per rolling 7 days.

• Tickets may not be sold or transferred for commercial use.

• Offer may not be combined with other discounts or promotions.

• Subject to restrictions and change without notice.

Note the rules are clear, EVERY person using one of these "2fer" tickets should have an ID that shows the correct zip code (of course, kids can use their parents ID). So Disney does not want one person to buy tickets for out of town friends/guests.

Also, this ticket is for TWO separate days, one day in each park. You cannot combine the ticket to convert it to a one day ParkHopper.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

Yeah, I am aware of it... I don't like the placement of the promotion... It undercuts 1 and 2 day parkhopper sales. I don't think it does what the promotion set out to do... It costs a little too much to run.
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

Thank you, DB.

Let this be the first warning to all:
    DCA will be very busy on Sat/Sun April 21/22. So it is written. So it shall be.
    And do note that it will not be because DCA has suddenly become the successful park that the execs in 2000/2001 claimed it would be. (There will be some threads about this, I predict.) It is simply filled with guests with a free ticket. Happens every year at this time. That's the price point for many of the 13 million or so people in a 100-mile radius of DCA.

The extra day's parking revenue makes up for it, I'm sure.

• Minion

Thank you, DB.

Let this be the first warning to all:
    DCA will be very busy on Sat/Sun April 21/22. So it is written. So it shall be.
    And do note that it will not be because DCA has suddenly become the successful park that the execs in 2000/2001 claimed it would be. (There will be some threads about this, I predict.) It is simply filled with guests with a free ticket. Happens every year at this time. That's the price point for many of the 13 million or so people in a 100-mile radius of DCA.

The extra day's parking revenue makes up for it, I'm sure.
    And for an extra 40 bucks I will sell you AP with that 2fer that you will want to upgrade the next time you try and use it... thanks for comming, buh-bye now...
    Check out my other blog:

• Cast Member

I think it's a testiment to the Imagineers that they used to have ideas and implement them in a much better way.

I don't know how well this compares to DCA, but when I went to Walt Disney World, I loved Epcot and especially world Showcase. So much so that for the week I was there, I wished I spent a whole week there alone, let alone the requisite visiting of the Magic Kingdom or the other parks.

DCA is a long way from giving me that kind of feeling and I'm sure many others. It's just a small diversion from DL.

But getting back on topic, yes....if you don't actually spend your day at DCA, then going into DCA and propping up those numbers are just false and inflate fake attendance numbers.

Bye.

• Rock Star Minion

Yeah, I am aware of it... I don't like the placement of the promotion... It undercuts 1 and 2 day parkhopper sales. I don't think it does what the promotion set out to do... It costs a little too much to run.
    I wanted the details. I didn't necessarily want to know if you knew the details. I should be clearer, though DB understood.

As I've stated many times before, I don't see why lots of people would buy 1-day parkhoppers. There's lots to do in DL, and paying $60 for a day at DL only to pay $20 more NOT to be in DL makes little to no sense for lots of people. (I qualify this, as there might be people with only one day available, and want to see everything, since it might be their last trip ever. I leave open the possibility.)
    2-day parkhoppers are merely an extension of this: Spend 1.5 days at DL, 0.5 at DCA. 1.5 days should be enough to see enough everything once at DL, and 0.5 days is enough to see everything at DCA. Parhoppers do have to be used within 14(?) days of each other, while the 2-fer promotion allows everyone to wait until the last minute to go. (Hence my warning.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast