• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Do large conventions mean large crowds at DLR?

I heard on the radio on my way to work, an advertisement for the Home Improvement and Design Show going on this weekend at the Anaheim Convention Center. I plan to go to DL this Saturday, January 6. I am thinking it should be busy, but not quite as busy as the week between Christmas and New Years. This is not really my question.

My main question is, do any of you think that attendance at DLR gets unusally busy when there is a large convention at the Convention Center? Or does this not make much of a difference?

Just curious on your opinions.

• Banned User

Re: Do large conventions mean large crowds at DLR?

when I am there during conventions the park is much fuller. in my opinion

• Rock Star Minion

It depends on when the convention closes for the day, and what kind of show it is.
    1. Time: if it closes at 5 PM, then expect a small to large blip in crowd around 6 PM. Problem is, there is usually a big bump after dinner anyway, due to APer's looking for some Disneyland "dessert."
    2. If it's a convention for locals, then I don't see it affecting anything one way or another.
    3. If it is a convention that brings tourists, then expect the larger blip after it closes, plus a blip on the day before it starts and the day after it finishes.
    4. If it is a convention that brings families while the convention-goer has to stay at the convention, then expect the larger blip throughout the convention.

Short answer: Maybe.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Exactly what sediment said. I attended a convention there a couple of years. The first year my daughter was working at Disneyland and after the convention I had her sign in a friend and I into DCA. (It was the first year it opened). But we didn't go to Disneyland. The next year I went to the convention my daughter wasn't working there, so I didn't bother to go to the park. Partially because I was exhausted from the convention. Not everyone who goes to the conventions are "Disney Fans" so like sediment said... depending on various factors... its possible but not certain.

Hows that for a clear cut answer.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Directly directed

I think so. Most buisnesses will give free passes to their employees, so they bring there families making it crowded. But it still shouldn't be as bad as Christmas or New Years

• Feeling LOVED

Well...im not sure if it will be busy because of conventions...but I do know Disneyland was at capacity last night...and California Adventure was packed!!! I think the other passes are not blacked out anymore...but I could be wrong...plus aren't they doing the 2-fer again?
    HEARTS CLUB !!

•   
    • debating what to put here

Beware of the third weekend in January. That is when the NAMM show is held (National Association of Music Merchants). It will fill most of the hotels and motels in the area for the entire 4 days (Thurs-Sun). It can also be very difficult to get any sort of dinner arrangements in DTD. It doesn't have as much of an impact on the parks, although a lot of the convention attendees bring their families and send them over to the park during the day.

Just a heads up.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Sun Wheel survivor!

I would think conventions don't make that much difference in overall attendance - just as was said above - all convention goes are not DL fans - all convention attendees do not bring along family who go to the park while the attendee is at the convention - all conventions are not for travelers (they are local) - I wouldn't worry about it.

Also the Home and Garden show draws locals - not travelers. Venders are often local also as the show is to advertise to locals for business and sales.
    Minnietoo

• For You!

with the crowds this week and the last weekend for vacation - I'd figure it will be busy anyway.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Premium Youngling and

The crowds completely depend on the convention. Whenever there is a cheerleader competition, DL is almost at capacity but for something like a car show, I wouldn't expect larger crowds