Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Disney's Table Scraps

Who else is sick of being served table scraps like Rockin', Buzz Lightyear, and Monsters, Inc.?

My annual passport expires in February, and I won't be renewing. Disney is giving its guests the bare minimum in terms of improvements and additions and, frankly, none of them are worthwhile.

• Skipping on Main Street

Under the stairs at Main St. train station

Re: Disney's Table Scraps

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Who else is sick of being served table scraps like Rockin', Buzz Lightyear, and Monsters, Inc.?

My annual passport expires in February, and I won't be renewing. Disney is giving its guests the bare minimum in terms of improvements and additions and, frankly, none of them are worthwhile.
    Disneyland was built in 1955, as we are all aware. It was never designed for the crowds that it receives in 2007. While we would a enjoy updates and improvements, the WDI folks have 1955 property to design in. That is why several rides have received "Enhancements" and the few new attractions that we do have seem miniscule in comparison to Florida where the have more space to design larger rides. Its a shame you won't renew, since the Finding Nemo attraction opens this summer and it looks to be fairly impressive.
    Well Secluded, I see all!!!

Disney Paranormal Society

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I'd hardly call BLAB and Monster's Inc. "table scraps".

I haven't experienced Rockin' myself, so I don't feel that I can judge.

The updates that the older attractions have recieved, like PotC and Jungle Cruise, I feel are quite fantastic.

I also know that the subs are opening back up as a superior E-ticket attraction in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_School_Goofy View Post
    Disneyland was built in 1955, as we are all aware. It was never designed for the crowds that it receives in 2007. While we would a enjoy updates and improvements, the WDI folks have 1955 property to design in. That is why several rides have received "Enhancements" and the few new attractions that we do have seem miniscule in comparison to Florida where the have more space to design larger rides. Its a shame you won't renew, since the Finding Nemo attraction opens this summer and it looks to be fairly impressive.
    It really doesn't take much money, space, or effort to create things that have real entertainment value.

It does require talent and imagination, though. Unfortunately, most of Disney is still creatively bankrupt even after the resignation of Eisner.

People keep giving Disney the benefit of the doubt even though time after time the company disappoints. I could tell Light Magic was going to be a disaster the first time I learned of the project. I knew Rocket Rods would be the same. It's one failure after another, and the novelty of each addition or change is all that Disney needs to keep its base of annual-passport holders renewing regardless of the actual quality of the attractions.

Plussing is great, but, really, how improved are things like Jungle Cruise and Space Mountain over their previous versions?

The Submarine Voyage, too, I foresee to be more of the same. A few Pepper's Ghost effects and some new paint and brighter colors will provide just enough novelty for people and induce just enough curiosity in them to persuade them to renew.

• Hooterville, USA

I'm just happy that they still honor my AP.

Anything else is a bonus.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

To be quite honest i dont really want them to make anything really new, i want them to bring alot of the old back such as skyways, people mover or rocket rods, i mean the new stuff attracts more guests and im sick of all the crowds i really want disneyland to be what it used to be like when i was 10, the annual passports werent 350 a year, they were 180, and food wasnt that outrageously priced, and they had something to offer locals, now its just long lines and they only want tourists....

• Defying gravity

Buzz Lightyear is an extremely popular ride. I don't think it can be considered a "table scrap."

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    I'd hardly call BLAB and Monster's Inc. "table scraps".
    They were both cheap and Disney, itself, didn't believe it could advertise either attraction by itself.

I regard those two attractions as being marginally better than Pooh but not by much. And, now that I have experienced all three, I really have no desire to visit them again.

• Premium Youngling and

It really doesn't take much money, space, or effort to create things that have real entertainment value.
    I highly disagree with you. Did you know that one of the best attractions in the whole park, Indiana Jones, cost $100 million dollars to design and build. Saying that something entertaining and fun is not expensive is a load of crap. A lot of time and energy is put into these attractions only to be put down. As one of the previous posts said, Disneyland is a 50 year old property and there isnt that much room to work with. You should be happy with the small enhancements that Disney puts in every once in a while. You know that almost all of the rides in WDW get almost no TLC or enhancements. When my family and I were going on all of the rides 2 summers ago, my dad said none of the rides had changed at all between then and the last time he had been there, 20 years previous! I brought my grandma to DL a year or two ago and she didn't even recognize anything, and she was there just 10 years previous! DL is ever changing to meet the needs and requests of its guests. I guess there are just some who dont appreciate it...

-AS1

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

I agree with the 'snowman, Indiana Jones is quite an accomplishment--it's creative, thoughtful and relatively reliable (in terms of breakdowns). BLAB is entertaining without being "big Budget". Nostalgia often affects one's perspective--be honest, Inner Space was a great ride, but not Disney's Crowning Glory, but we all enjoyed it anyway, didn't we?--be fair with your criticism, and renew your AP, will ya?

• See you there!

Well, I guess if you're not going to be at DL anymore, I can get may camera flash back out. <VBG> Just pulling you leg

CU@DL

Andy

Why Oh why do I do this??

The Devil made me do it!
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• Minion

>>Inner Space was a great ride, but not Disney's Crowning Glory<<

I think Inner Space was the fourth best dark ride ever designed by WED - - after Pirates, Mansion and Small World: one of the truly memorable classics. It should never have been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by AbominableSnowman1 View Post
    As one of the previous posts said, Disneyland is a 50 year old property and there isnt that much room to work with.
    That's a load of crap that comes straight from the mouth of Paul Pressler. There are all sorts of things that can be done to improve and plus Disneyland, but the management is perfectly content to tread water (sorry for mixing my metaphors) as long as there are people willing to be satisfied with a lower-quality experience that is a relative bargain.

I love Indiana Jones Adventure, but my favorite parts of it are the creative ideas that went into the attraction.

One of those creative ideas is the W.W.II troop transports, themselves, since they were a clever innovation, but attractions with more conventional and cheaper ride systems can be just as enjoyable. The imagination that is invested into an attraction or other experience is most important. But, even Indy opened thirteen years ago. "Fantasmic!" opened the year before that, and Splash Mountain and Star Tours opened in the years before that.

What has Disneyland done for me lately?

In order to keep me coming back, I want to see continual improvement and plenty of nice surprises. They can be either big or small, but they have to be good.

Things like Winnie the Pooh and "a bug's land" are just not good.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-03-2007 at 08:54 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

They were both cheap and Disney, itself, didn't believe it could advertise either attraction by itself.

I regard those two attractions as being marginally better than Pooh but not by much. And, now that I have experienced all three, I really have no desire to visit them again.
    Hmm, well I'm sorry you feel that way, but the majority does not. Buzz is incredibly popular-both with kids and adults-and reaches the public on a very innovative level. It wasn't meant to be like Indiana Jones of Pirates of the Caribbean...we can't have just E-tickets, and like it's been mentioned from other posters, Disneyland really doesn't have a lot of space left to expand, unless more attractions are knocked out. Right now, the only space that could host another attraction to my knowledge (and it couldn't be very big) would be the old Motorboat Cruise lagoon.

Monster's Inc. also is very popular (and let's remember...DCA needs help badly, and Monster's Inc. was put in as a family-fun thing as a quick fix, and for what they did in about a years time, the attraction is pretty good). The attraction has a heck of a lot of detail in it, and I always find something new to look at when I ride it. And this attraction isn't a cardboard-cutout ride like Pooh is. I think it's miles better.

And why would Disney advertise them on their own? They're not E-tickets and they weren't meant to be. I don't think Disney has ever advertised for rides that aren't E-tickets.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast