Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Andrew's 01-02 Update: Park is SLAMMED, Indy's moron problem, and a Mini-meet!

And what a day it was! Disneyland was SLAMMED unexpectedly. Disney had posted hours of 8-11pm for DL and 10-8 for DCA, and internal reports were that the park was expecting a lighter crowd in the vein of a week before Christmas. As such, they gave days off, and kept hours low for many cast members, and for whole attractions such as Canoes and Columbia.
    And boy did they get it wrong.

I arrived today to find the Mickey and Friends line all the way out of the structure and around the bend.

Soon we too will look upon this sight and laugh.

The tram loading area indicates that something is not right with the balance of the universe.
    I mean, have you ever WEIGHED a tramzilla? No wonder they’re all falling to that side!

Speaking of lines, the ticket booths were swamped.
    Hm… what do you know… it’s a crowd.

Something tells me it’s busy today.
    Ooh! It’s me! It’s me!

Over in Tomorrowland, I stopped to get a Fastpass® for Space Mountain, and found Cosmic Waves doing its best impression of a desert. I give it a “gobi” rating.
    Oh I come from a land, from a faaaaaar away place…

Monorail Purple says hi to everyone. Also note the snazzy outfits of the Monorail Cast.
    Monorail Purple sez: Yo, I want a new costume too!

Not to be outdone by Cosmic waves, the Matterhorn worked on its desert impression. I give it a “Mojave.”
    Where they cut off your ear… no wait… where it’s brash and …. I… I DON’T KNOW THE LYRICS ANYMORE!

These light rigs are left over from New Year’s. They still have hangovers.
    Dude, just… try to keep it down, okay?

This sign informs people that we live in America, and, thus, we walk to the right. All at once, British accents mysteriously disappeared from my cousins.
    Also, the tiger wants to eat the sign.

A MICECHAT EXCLUSIVE FOLLOWS!!!!

I am pleased to announce that Colombia is going to have a new family member on the rivers. There will be a Colombialet… you know how I know?

Wait for it…

Colombia is giving BERTH!!!

You get that? Like, giving birth….
    Only, it’s spelled….
    Berth.

It’s not funny if you don’t get it.

Anywho, Colombia is docked, in a misjudged estimate of attendance from Disney.

Andrew’s Micechat Challenge! (and photoshop contest)

Why, tell me, why are there those metal coverings surrounding this mysterious circle? What’s supposed to be in this spot?

The area is located right outside Splash Mountain’s barn entrance.
    SOMEONE TELL ME, or, if you’re in the mood… photoshop in what YOU think should be there.
    I have cookies.

Speaking of capacity misjudging, the Canoes were also not operating today, leaving one very quiet river.
    What in the wide wide world of sports are these canoes doing?

Heading over to bid non-Rockin’ Screamin’ a farewell, I noticed the Tournament of Roses had set up shop to those people who were (obviously to me but not, apparently, to Disney) sticking around after the game to visit the park.
    Important note: The Univerity of Redland Tournament of Roe hirt were impelled. They forgot to include the “” in Univerity. Apparantly, nobody check the typeet before printing a vat amount of hirt. Pleae double check all hirt before purchase.

After being a passenger on a most uncommon elevator, I noticed this interesting image.
    It’s almost as if the backdrop spilled onto the beautiful sky.

No’ Rockin’ Californi’ Screamin’ Toda’
    There’ to’ man’ attraction’ a’ Californi’ Adventur’ wit’ colloquia’ name’.

This, my friends, is Screamin’ Yellow: The only train with sound on track yesterday. It was kickin’ too. I suppose Yellow will be the one to go to. Of course, then it went out of sync… and a train was dispatched while playing the “bunny hill” music.
    No music for the overlay? Might as well call it “Snorin’ over California”

Time for some fun with crowd control! At around 2:00, there were whispers of halting ticket sales, but it had not yet gone into place.
    The buzz around the park (if you knew where to listen, of course) was that the park was expecting FAR FAR fewer people than it actually received. As such, Colombia, Canoes, streetcars, omnibus were all closed to save some labor. The DLRR, Space, Thunder, and Screamin’ were all running at lowered capacity until the crowds became apparent. Then, another locomotive came online (E.P. Ripley, I believe. Ward Kimball and Ernest S. Marsh were out at opening.)
    Here is the line for Fastpasses (yes) for Indy.

And if that isn’t a true blue miracle, I don’t know what one is!

Pirates, meanwhile, redirected over the bridge and back down, leaving as much space around the Bootstrappers as they could. It’s a useful system, making use of Fantasmic! Crowd Control equipment at that point.
    Interesting note: Someone from my high school is in this picture. I didn’t even notice till the editing process.

This, my friends, is Thunder Mountain.
    ‘Cause this here’s the longest line in the wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilderness!

As a part of my day of mourning, I went to pay respects to Space Mountain. It was the last untainted day. And… yes. 3:00 and Fastpass is gone!
    Hey mac… d’ya wanna buy a sundial?

Saying, “I love this ride”
    THUNDERS STRIKES!!! Oh… I meant to say “attraction”

In a fit of indecision, I run to Pirates… then back to… oh, Hi Mickey!
    18 \
    Hi-ya, Andrew!

Finally, a sign with some honesty.
    After all, if that building were filled with just an arcade… it would sure be an awful waste of space!

Then I … yes, I ate lunch. I never do that at Disneyland. I usually rely on a heaping bowl of Grape-Nuts to push me through to the day to dinner, but not today. So I ate at the Pizza port. While eating, Jack Wagner’s(!!) voice came booming from the Park speaker system to inform us that they were pleased to announce that Disneyland would remain open until 12 midnight!
    The sign agreed.
    Oh… and DCA was extended too, I guess.

It was before this, around 3 or 4, that Disneyland stopped sales of their new park tickets. The park wasn’t at capacity, per se, however, due to their lowered staffing levels today, since they were expecting a much quieter day, the park had reached its maximum manageable capacity. Re-entries only, became the policy, which helped tremendously to keep the crowds down.

Having never seen the flag retreat, I stopped by to see what it was all about. Here, the flag has been raised from half staff back up to full, then back down again, very nicely, by Disneyland security.
    Rest in Peace, President Ford.

And… hey! The Dapper Dans really do live on Main Street U.S.A.
    And well sung, to boot.

So, in doing research for an upcoming event at school, I went to check out Block Party Bash… just to see what I was getting myself into.

And you know? Major props to the Cast of this show! It’s quite honestly one of the most fun and the most energetic performance at the Disneyland Resort I have ever seen.
    This includes Blast.

A great show… even if the show stop makes it hard to experience the whole thing.
    Apologies for the quality. I’m just sooo tired.

INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DARKNESS
    My Fastpass was ripe for the using, so I went over to Indy. There was a HUGE line, with the entire outdoor queue being used, including the area by the boathouse, and much of Adventureland. While I was being ushered into the temple, I heard a CM comment to the merge point CM that the queue was stuck somewhere in the first part of the temple. After the flooded maze into load, the thing was empty.
    I ventured into the temple and noticed a few of the lights were out. Someone behind me remarked “Why is it so dark?” Their husband answered, “Somebody probably went through and unscrewed the light bulbs… they did it at grad nite too.”
    They reached up and screwed in their bulbs… and I took the hint and reached up and began re-lighting, one by one, each bulb in the queue. Immediately, we could see where they were going. I remarked that I had never seen anything like it. The man behind me said a bunch of “morons” were responsible.
    “Tall morons” I grumbled, stretching for a particularly high bulb.
    At the stop point for the projection room, the CM I had mentioned at the beginning caught up with us and asked if we were the ones re-lighting the bulbs. I said the people behind me (gesturing) were responsible for letting me know it could be done.
    The CM, whom I thought might be a lead, but was missing the earpiece, thanked us profusely for our help, before ushering us into the projector room. That made my day. She simply said thank you in a very gracious manner and let us on our way. I felt like a good citizen.

A Micechat Mini-Meet!
    After Block Party Bash, I headed back into the park (and to first aid… Block Party Bash plus Matterhorn equals OUCH), and around 8:00 went to the very front of the fireworks viewing area. There were gathered a group of several spirited youngsters, whom I sat behind, as an antidote to the other parents with children baring their teeth as I approached their seats. After overhearing one of this group reference MasterGracey’s picture of the CM on the French Fry Rocks, and after, I assume, being overheard discussing the board with Shan, I realized that this group turned out to be comprised partially of MiceChatters! So I met wrs28220 (43970908590782798579879827048937910) and Fantasmicrazy, and their very fun friends and made it an Official MiceChat Meet-ish Thing.
    So we sat and discovered something amazing.
    If you’ve been following my saga, I’ve been highly skeptical the holiday fireworks even exist.
    Well……
    The head is part of the show, of course.

THEY EXIST!!
    How inspirational.

AGH! THE CASTLE EXPLODED!!

And… hey, nice picture!

Missed.
    Ah well, we’ll always have Perris.

After a quick run (and being left in the dust by the others, headed to some super secret Fantasmic viewing location), a beautiful sight of snowfall on the Rivers of America.
    Ursula sez: Snow? On MY river? That’s it! Ursula will take matters into her own [censoredOMG].

Obligatory blurry monkeys.
    Now… I don’t know the monkey dance by heart…. Crazy people.

And then it was off to Space Mountain: My final ride in the final frontier before… I can’t bring myself to say it…
    Sarah: ROCKIN??
    Winnie: Noo!!!!!
    Mary: Sarah…
    Winnie: She really hurt my feelings! You know, I’ve always wanted a child, and now I think I’ll have one.
    ON TOAST!!

Space Mountain, I salute you.
    Important Note: This was quite possibly Space Mountain’s last run for the next 4 months. I was right at the end of their operating day.

So there you have it! A SLAMMED, understaffed park gets hit with too many people, and I still manage to have fun! I love that place!

Oh-kay! That should do it for today!
    As always, we’re only here thanks to your comments, so keep it coming!

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

Re: Andrew's 01-02 Update: Park is SLAMMED, Indy's moron problem, and a Mini-meet!

Awsom TR....I rather much enjoyed it...you little commentaries cracked me up ...I can't wait to go on Friday....I am gonna miss space
    Last edited by Hilsbro; 01-04-2007 at 12:43 AM.

• Shablagoo!

Re: Andrew's 01-02 Update: Park is SLAMMED, Indy's moron problem, and a Mini-meet!

neat update. thanks for posting

• Rookie

I really cracked up at "AGH! THE CASTLE EXPLODED!!"

Lex

• Basking in birthday love

That was my reaction to the new fireworks. "Oh, that's why they don't let people sit right in front of the castle anymore. They blow it up."

• Minion

They they STILL tryin too shoot Tink down with fireworks? They seem to be getting close, but after more then a year, you would think there aim would get better.

!! Ahhhh... so that's what they're up to.

Andrew,
    Sorry we left you in the dust. It wasn't intentional, but all that was on my mind was needing to be the first group for the tower B seating. It was truly enjoyable to meet you, and the group was happy to have another disney spirit to talk to for the 3 hours we waited. Great pictures!

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Nice work! Too bad about the castle though.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by wrs28220 View Post
    Andrew,
    Sorry we left you in the dust. It wasn't intentional, but all that was on my mind was needing to be the first group for the tower B seating. It was truly enjoyable to meet you, and the group was happy to have another disney spirit to talk to for the 3 hours we waited. Great pictures!
    No worries there. I was headed to see the show from dead-front-and-center anyways. It worked!

I always enjoy your TRs - thanks for sharing! Love the running commentary

• It's all nonsense

Great update.

You know for the crowds...the wait times don't seem too bad to me. 60 mins for Indy doesn't seem bad on a gate closing day.

Thanks for all of the pics

• Senior Minion

Very funny and entertaining trip report.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Great update.

You know for the crowds...the wait times don't seem too bad to me. 60 mins for Indy doesn't seem bad on a gate closing day.
    In practice, though, they were all longer. Also, the sheer amount of people vs the little amount of CMs made it particularly difficult.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast