Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Question Curious about "Your Pin Purchasing Policy"

When I began purchasing pins at WDW in 2003, I decided to have a "rule for myself" pertaining to the purchase of a pin.

If it is an attraction, I have to ride the attraction.

If it is a hotel, I have to been in, or stayed at that hotel.

If it is a restaurant, I have to have eaten there.

Because pin shopping can be and is a pretty expensive part of touring the Disney Parks, it keeps the cost down (somewhat) for me.

I think that when I visit Disneyland, for the first time in July, I will stick with the same rule for Disneyland. Might I be tempted, otherwise, to buy every 50th Anniversary Pin that I see, and go home - in the Poor House.

Curious. Anyone else have specific guidelines for buying pins, or just buy what you like, or go broke, buying everything is sight?

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, I avoid Pin Shops and stands like the plague.

Seriously, I used to collect pins, before it got so incredibly anal and consuming. I didn't collect them for any other reason other than liking them. I wasn't into trading, etc. I just find it fascinating that people will come to DL with Binders full of pins just to trade, etc. I mean, being into Disney is weird enough, but being THAT into pin trading ... that's a whole other level.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries
    My 12 year old grandson like to pin trade. It must be a kid thing. He's always on a strict budget when we take him to "Disney". Otherwise, we would surely come home broke. He can buy a pin, one moment, and trade it away the next. I just think that he likes to chase down, those castmembers with the lanyards on, and swap one of his, for one he hasn't seen before. He buys many different kinds of pins with his "alloted Disney money". The pin trading keeps him both busy and happy on vacation. He is new at this, and only has a total of about 40 pins at this point in time. He carrys them around in a pin trading fanny pack. They are loose, and ready to be swapped at a moment's notice.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries
    I've started doing a bit of pin collecying. I meant to start with just doing Peter Pan themed pins. Nut I did get a few others - ie. a ToT one the first time I went on (the picture didn't work), a 50th pin, the pins you get from purchasing food, etc. I stick mostly to my PP thing, though and only get ones I like, since I'll be the one looking at them!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• OM NOM NOM

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    When I began purchasing pins at WDW in 2003, I decided to have a "rule for myself" pertaining to the purchase of a pin.

If it is an attraction, I have to ride the attraction.

If it is a hotel, I have to been in, or stayed at that hotel.

If it is a restaurant, I have to have eaten there.

Because pin shopping can be and is a pretty expensive part of touring the Disney Parks, it keeps the cost down (somewhat) for me.

I think that when I visit Disneyland, for the first time in July, I will stick with the same rule for Disneyland. Might I be tempted, otherwise, to buy every 50th Anniversary Pin that I see, and go home - in the Poor House.

Curious. Anyone else have specific guidelines for buying pins, or just buy what you like, or go broke, buying everything is sight?

I'm glad there is another person out there who agrees with me.

As many of you know, there are many CM exclusive pins that are available backstage throughout the year. There are also a select number of CM pins that can only be earned. For example, if you donated blood as a CM, you got a special pin (and another one if it was your first time). There are also special pins for working on specific days.

What bothers me is that there are Pin Sharks out there who have these pins. Now, a purchasable CM pin is one thing, but owning an earn-only pin that you didn't actually earn, that's just wrong. You didn't give your own blood or work a high-volume day, so why should you reap one of the rewards?

The same goes for me when I see AP exclusive pins, such as preview pins. I will not trade for any pin that advertises something that I was not a part of.

I also won't buy character pins, unless they are Jessica Rabbit.
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

I also agree 100%. I also collect attractions that I have ridden and that's it. That eliminates 97% of all the pins since so many are generic.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    My 12 year old grandson like to pin trade. It must be a kid thing.
    Yeah, check out how old all the "kids" are that do most of the hardcore trading and buying next time you're at any Disney park!!

--Jonathan

• Disney Nerd

i'm into trading, but not as hardcore....every now and then, i'll have an extra pin in my bag, and I'll see one i like, and see what i can do. But i dont carry mine around with me....

I am addicted to collecting pins though...i've had friends actually grab me to keep me away from pin carts/premiere shop/emporium so i wouldnt buy anything. But my rule is...anything Sleeping Beauty I buy, Anything Star Wars/Tours I buy, and other random ones that I may like, but I never buy more thant 3 on any trip....

It's sooo sad to think how much of my check goes back into Disney merchandise, pins mostly too....

• Senior Minion

I've got some pins, and I picked up a new one this last trip--but I stick to my favorite character, Pluto, and that's it. If I see a new or interesting Pluto pin, I'll get it--but otherwise, you can go hog wild on those things. I saw some people with easily ten pounds of pins around their necks--an advertisement for the Hunchback of Notre Dame!

• CM for 4 years!

They're having a pin clearance on Disneydirect.com... and I think I'm about to make my first pin purchase!!

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    ... and I think I'm about to make my first pin purchase!!
    NOoooooo! Don't do it!! don't succumb to the darkside!!!! There will be no turning back!!!! :devil:

--Jonathan

Well I mostly buy Star Wars Pins and the Half-Marathon pins when I'm down there (haven't run a full so I won't buy the pin). And I don't buy all the pins, I only buy the ones that seem interesting to me. I think I maybe have a total of 10 pins and most of those were bought as souveniers by other people to give me

I only buy character pins. I have selected about 10 different characters/movies that I will buy pins of, I avoid all others. for example I collect the original Rescuers characters, but I avoid the 'down under' characters.
    I avoid attractions, and the park pins in general, unless it's a great pose of one of my favorite characters.
    If the characters face looks distorted or its a bad design of them, then I won't get it, no matter how limited or popular.

but I will go after the popular limited "non-character" pins in order to have hot pins that I can then trade for the characters I need.

although I have found lately that everything comes up on ebay, so there's really no need to go for the super hard pins just for the sake of trading.

• a kiss for a thimball

Escondido CA (1hr 15min from door to parked!)
    i have one pin... it isa belle pin... she is my favorite character... i am really addicted to thepenny press... I have a whole bunch of thoes... because you never know when a press will disappear and you wont be able to get it ever again... I have some from when I was little too
    -Miss Wendy Lynn

The second star to the right
    Shines in the night for you
    To tell you that the dreams you plan
    Really can come true

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I've collected all kinds of pins before I even started with Disney pins and like others I collect, trading doesn't appeal to me really. I mainly am limited to three characters, the Toy Story Aliens, Ariel and Prince Eric (still kills me to spell it that way). I have general park pins as well as well as attraction pins, I have many of the 50th pins at this point, as I ride the gold attraction vehicles I am getting those pins as well. As someone said, collect what you like, you're the one who looks at them

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast