Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Neep meep beep

Disney quietly settles Indiana Jones death lawsuit

This morning at 8:30 was the date set for trial in the brain injury death suffered by a woman in 2000.

As reported by the news media: http://losangeles.bizjournals.com/lo...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

"The family of a woman who died in 2000 after riding the "Indiana Jones Adventure" ride at Disneyland has reached a settlement with the Walt Disney Co.

Terms of the settlement were not disclosed.

Cristina Moreno, 23, of Barcelona complained of a severe headache after riding the ride in June 2000, lost consciousness that evening and died Sept. 1, 2000. The lawsuit said that she suffered her fatal brain hemorrhage while riding the ride.
    Pretrial motions had been set to be heard on Thursday with jury selection expected to begin Friday.
    Disney (NYSE: DIS) officials defended the ride in a statement, saying that "safety always has been, and continues to be, our top priority."
    Last edited by RobotMirror; 01-05-2007 at 01:50 PM. Reason: removed bold, added the word "Death"

• Blind to His Own Faults

Re: Disney quietly settles Indiana Jones death lawsuit

"safety always has been, and continues to be, our top priority, no matter how many people we inadvertantly kill." **statement not approved by Disney Legal Dept**

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I think Disney would have won the case if it went to court, but I guess in the end it's better that the family gets some money/settlement out of the ordeal.

Fact is that the woman did not know that she had some sort of bad medical thing in her brain, so it wasn't anyone's fault. Sad that it happened.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    I think Disney would have won the case if it went to court, but I guess in the end it's better that the family gets some money/settlement out of the ordeal.

Fact is that the woman did not know that she had some sort of bad medical thing in her brain, so it wasn't anyone's fault. Sad that it happened.
    Exactly. It is so very sad that she didn't know she had this problem, otherwise she surely would not have gone on the ride. Very sad loss, and a waste of a young life. But not Disney's fault.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

As much as I hate to say this, I am happy that this caused them to tone down the jerkiness of this ride. It used to be one of my least favorites years ago because it jerked me around so much. Now I can actually enjoy some of the scenery because it's a lot smoother. It is a much better ride now.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    As much as I hate to say this, I am happy that this caused them to tone down the jerkiness of this ride. It used to be one of my least favorites years ago because it jerked me around so much. Now I can actually enjoy some of the scenery because it's a lot smoother. It is a much better ride now.
    I was too young to remember how wild the ride was originally, but nowadays I wish the jeep would be a little more fierce.

However in the end it's probably a good idea, though. My boyfriend's father won't go on that ride ever again...apparently he did years ago and because of the way it jerked, it did something terrible to his back.

• Banned User

Now I'm scared to ride it! So did she have something medically wrong already with her or was it the rides fault completely?

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    "safety always has been, and continues to be, our top priority, no matter how many people we inadvertantly kill." **statement not approved by Disney Legal Dept**
    Now, that's not fair!

They warn people with pre-existing conditions not to ride. Remove that basic protection, and Disneyland would have to shut down permanently, along with almost every other entertainment venue in the country.

That, or everyone walking through the gates would need to show proof of a recent Full Physical and a Head-to-Toe MRI and CAT-Scan before they could ride any of the rides. And they could still miss something.

Then they'd have to hire a bunch of Notaries and Office people, to handle the 42-page Release Of Liability Form packet you have to fill out and sign for each day you visit...

Just what we need - NOT.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Now, that's not fair!

They warn people with pre-existing conditions not to ride. Remove that basic protection, and Disneyland would have to shut down permanently, along with almost every other entertainment venue in the country.

That, or everyone walking through the gates would need to show proof of a recent Full Physical and a Head-to-Toe MRI and CAT-Scan before they could ride any of the rides. And they could still miss something.

Then they'd have to hire a bunch of Notaries and Office people, to handle the 42-page Release Of Liability Form packet you have to fill out and sign for each day you visit...

Just what we need - NOT.

--<< Bruce >>--
    ummm..this was a joke..which I thought was obvious.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    Now I'm scared to ride it!
    If you aren't afraid to ride on an airplane or in a car then you should not be afraid to ride a theme park attraction.

The ride probably caused her death in that it aggravated whatever condition she was in. You are not a healthy person if you drop dead after riding a theme park attraction. The brain hemorrage could have been caused by the next big jolt her body took, whether it was tripping and falling to the ground or going on Indy. In this case it was Indy.

Disney isn't without fault when it comes to accidents though. I absolutely abhore what happened on the Columbia and Big Thunder and is the most tragic result of the lax attitude when it comes to quality at Disneyland these days. Forget Rockin' Space Whatever for a moment. People have actually died because of management's quest to cut costs, especially on Big Thunder, where inadequete maintenence was to blame.

• Banned User

What a tragic series of events all the way around. A young life is over and a family is left to mourn. It's not the fault of Disney, but, people are so litigation happy these days. Just tragic overall.

• It's all nonsense

It's insane that this family got compensation for this. The ride has multiple signs warning people with medical conditions not to ride.

If I stub my toe on Main Street can I sue and get something too?? I mean come on where does it end?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Sadly, I think there was a good chance Disney would've lost the case if it had gone to court. Juries are very sympathetic to individuals and their families who have been "wronged" by the big corporation with lots of money.

Whether Disney would've won the case or not, I'm sure whatever the settlement was was far less than what a lengthy trial would've cost them, both financially and image-wise.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    People have actually died because of management's quest to cut costs, especially on Big Thunder, where inadequete maintenence was to blame.
    Sad effects from this, too. I can only relax riding Big Thunder at the other resorts anymore, I get nervous and can't stop wondering about my safety riding the one at DL.

Indy also caused another girl to have some brain damage and turn into a vegetable, and I avoided that ride until last year because of those stories. I'm glad the Jeeps were toned down, they almost too rough as it was for me, but then again my back is tender.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Sad effects from this, too. I can only relax riding Big Thunder at the other resorts anymore, I get nervous and can't stop wondering about my safety riding the one at DL.

Indy also caused another girl to have some brain damage and turn into a vegetable, and I avoided that ride until last year because of those stories.
    And yet everyone continues to drive on the freeways, taking buses, planes and other methods of transportation to get there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast