Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Question restroom of 1955

Hi my name is steven, and even though im 14, my mind wonders if back in the day, 1955, there were white and black restrooms, ive tried searching everywhere but there are no threads of anything like this, so if you could please help me out, thank you... and if known, when were they torn down?

p.s this is my first thread and as a new member
    yo hizzle, yo hizzle, a pimps life for me! jk

• Minion

Re: restroom of 1955

What an interesting question...I've never thought of that. I actually have never heard of any kind of racial segregation in Disneyland at all. I would hope that Walt Disney wouldn't allow something like this.

• Banned User

Well Brown was handed down in 1954 before the park opened but it was only for the desegregation of public schools, not privately owned establishments. That didn't happen until the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

I have never heard of segregated restrooms at Disneyland though and I have never seen it come up in debates about whether Walt was a racist or not. I doubt they had them.

I can't help but feel there is something familiar about this guy though. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Quote Originally Posted by future_dl_prez View Post
    Hi my name is steven, and even though im 14, my mind wonders if back in the day, 1955, there were white and black restrooms, ive tried searching everywhere but there are no threads of anything like this, so if you could please help me out, thank you... and if known, when were they torn down?

Good question to ask the Yesterland guy.
    Janette

• Banned User

That's a good question I never thought about that before, I have never heard that the restrooms were segregated or that any part of Disneyland was segregated.

• Beer is good beer.

I doubt it too. I've read tons about the opening of Disneyland and the early years and have never come across this topic.

Plus, because of the plumbers strike prior to opening day, they were lucky they got the bathrooms open at all, let alone two sets of each one!
    M A S E C A !

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I don't think so. Both sides of my family's history in Los Angeles goes back to the 1930's. This area was never as racist as other parts of the country. That is not saying there was no racism, but it wasn't as bad here as it was in other places.

• Shubisha

I'm sure if you asked at City Hall they'd tell you no there weren't any regardless

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Both sides of my family's history in Los Angeles goes back to the 1930's. This area was never as racist as other parts of the country.
    California, not as racist as the rest of the country? How did you get that into your head? If anything it was more racist because there were a lot more ethnic groups to push around! If you were a racist in those days California was your Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by future_dl_prez View Post

California was not a segregated state per se. There was definately racism in the 50's but CA didn't have things like back doors for black people or seperate drinking fountains.

Most of that activity was in the deep south.

California never had institutionalized racism to the extreme extent of the Southeast, but it existed here. Disneyland never had segregated rest rooms, and that practice didn't exist in Orange County as a whole. There were very, very few blacks here in OC in 1955 to begin with, so why bother?

The City of Anaheim however did have certain days for whites and certain days for hispanics at the city owned swimming pool in the 1950's. There were also some OC hotels or restaurants that would not serve hispanics or Asians earlier in the 20th century.

But segregated public restrooms in OC? Never. And any type of racial segregation at Disneyland? Never.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    California, not as racist as the rest of the country? How did you get that into your head? If anything it was more racist because there were a lot more ethnic groups to push around! If you were a racist in those days California was your Disneyland.
    After I posted that, I realize I should have said it was not as racist as other parts of the country such as the South.

I "got this into my head" due to various reasons: My parents and grandparents have told me stories of how life was back in those days. They said that they did not see segregated restrooms or drinking fountains when they were growing up here. California was a free state during the Civil War. This area was and is home to the entertainment industry, which in traditionally is very liberally minded...

• Disneyland is your land.

I would definitely bet that there were no segregated facilities in Disneyland in the 50's. I'd also be willing to bet that weren't any of those cheesy soap advertisments in their as well! haha.
    Class of 2005...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

Quote Originally Posted by neuhickman79 View Post
    What an interesting question...I've never thought of that. I actually have never heard of any kind of racial segregation in Disneyland at all. I would hope that Walt Disney wouldn't allow something like this.
    Oh my gosh, I am so slow and color blind I suppose! *slaps forehead* I was thinking of black and white tile flooring!!!!!!! We had a floor like that when I was a baby, I learned to crawl on it in 1965. I was thinking the OP was asking about the decor of the original bathrooms. Doh!

I would echo your sentiments, now that I understand.

• Still lost in Neverland

SInce I have been going since opening day, I can assure you there were no such things in Disneyland, ever. Not allowed by the boss. Disneyland was built for everyone no matter race, color or religion.

B T W Future DL Prez, welcome to Mice Chat and at 14 you do have a chance for that spot. Good luck.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast