Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Andrew's 01-05 Update: Double Cancellation, Windsday, and ROCKIN' REVIEWED!!

We start off our brief update today with a continuing look at the various survey markers at the Disneyland Resort. This one is in between the Matterhorn, Castle, and Ariel’s Meet and Greet, almost in the middle of the intersecting walkways.
    Bump… set… SPIKE!!

If anyone’s noticed that Jack Wagner’s voice has sounded more robust on the Matterhorn, this is why.
    They’ve replaced and upgraded the entire loading area’s sound system during the last renovation. It sounds much better than that old megaphone-type speaker. (It’s still there, BTW)
    I see you have a sword! I have one too. They’re very manly and…. Tough.

Pirates of the Caribbean has its sword back, by the way. You may recall that it was gone for a bit.
    Avast there! If ye be brave or fool enough to pull this sword from this here brick, ye shall become king of all the pirates! Oh wait, wrong story.

And… remember the broken Splash Mountain sign? It lives!
    Zip-a-dee-do-dah, zip-a-dee-ay! I show really long waits on a hot summer day!

Speaking of Splash Mountain, for all you out there too chicken to try it… here’s a POV of the drop! (Yes, that’s my “Goofy Yell” if you ever hear that coming from Splash Mountain… it’s me.)

And now that thrill of thrills: the goal of every ambitious MiceChatters: SPLASH MOUNTAIN!!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHOOOOHOOOHOOOHWEEEEE!

The wind whipped even more leaves into the Rivers of America than usual. They all end up in Fowler’s Harbor. Colombia has just backed out for its Fantasmic! prep.
    That’s why they call it FOULer’s Harbor! Lolololoololollollool!

An unedited artsy-fartsy as I head in to Indy. The girl at B side dispatch was having a lot of fun telling everyone exactly why they should not stand up. You don’t stand up in your car, after all, so don’t stand up in this one. Standing up is a bad idea. If you stand up, you will fly from the car and, therefore, never stand up again. So please remain seated and don’t stand up. Your car is now moving. Please remain seated, enjoy your adventure and don’t stand up!
    Very entertaining! Thanks for the smile!
    I’m Jones Indy, yes, I’m the real Indy. All you other Jones Indys are just try’n to be trendy so won’t the real Jones Indy DON’T STAND UP, DON’T STAND UP, DON’T STAND UP!

Though briefly mitigated on Tuesday, the Curse of the Andrew struck again, and those winds at high elevations followed me over to Disneyland.
    Since it’s happened so many times, here’s the complete text of the “may be” announcement:

Quote Originally Posted by Voice of God
    Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, due to unfavorable wind and weather conditions, it is possible that tonight’s performance of “Believe… in Holiday Magic” our fireworks spectacular… may be cancelled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of God
    A final decision has not been made in the hope of better weather conditions at showtime. We will continue to try to present the show as scheduled, and we apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you.
    This message does not have a Spanish counterpart.
    At the same time, Fantasmic completes its first show.
    On the bright side: HERE’S SNOW!

Ya know? I think Remember was actually more reliable than Believe!
    Yes, that is my comical commentary. It’s funny, right?

Then, after a jaunt over to the Rivers of America, we noticed the wind was whipping through the area. The light towers were rocking back and forth, and the show leads radioed the light operators off of their towers.
    Soon, crowd control took their ropes down, and I was greeted with an announcement I had never heard before:
    “Due to the extraordinary wind conditions, the Fantasmic showing scheduled at this time will not be presented.”

Wow.

The jungle cruise responded in kind. In their queue, the following announcement was heard over their speakers:
    “Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls: Due to circumstances beyond our control, the Jungle Cruise WILL remain open for the rest of the night. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused, and we hope you enjoy the rest of your stay at Disneyland.”

And then I went to Rockin’ Space Mountain. Which leads to:

ANDREW’S OFFICIAL ROCKIN’ SPACE MOUNTAIN REVIEW OF DOOM!

Background: For those of you who don’t know, the original renovation plans were to have a day and night version of the classic Disneyland attraction. One would be the normal daytime “Space Mountain” and the other would be the nighttime “Rockit Mountain.” The main marquee was installed with a changeable fiber optic readout that can say both “Space” and “Rockit.” The project was sidelined as then Resort President Matt Ouimet insisted Space Mountain be open for Disneyland’s actual 50th Anniversary on July 17, 2005, shaving 4 months off the refurbishment.
    For Grad Nite 2006, a trial version of “Rockit Mountain” was run due to obligations from previous advertising media. The local band “Hoobastank” (seriously, who didn’t see the ridicule coming with that one?) provided the soundtrack to this version.
    It was panned. The ride became known as HoobaSTINK Mountain and was generally lambasted with a small group of (some perhaps more lubricated?) visitors providing defense.
    The project resurfaced in the rushed “YEAR OF A MILLION DREAMS” rollout ceremony. It was set in stone now.
    January 3, 2007, Rockin’ Space Mountain opened.
    The premise: The coolest rock concert in the universe! Featuring the Red Hot Chili Peppers!
    The experience: The queue is normal, the video with the too tan man is there. The load station is the same. Once the ride starts, a DJs voice kicks in, spouting some lame dialogue (“Get ready rockin rockers, we’re going to rock this rocket in this rockin rock experience of rock and roll rocket rocking!”). Some Windows Media Player visualizations kick on the launch tunnel as the band warms up. It’s all rather psychedelic and nothing terribly offensive yet.
    And then you enter the dome.

Oh.
    My.
    God.
    It.
    Is.
    TERRIBLE!

In the interest of full disclosure, I should admit that I wasn't expecting much on Rockin Space... but I wasn't expecting it to be this terrible! I was maybe expecting to have to eat my words and say I actually enjoyed the experience somewhat. I didn’t have to worry, turns out*. I seriously sat on that ride with my hands raised and didn't feel a thing the entire ride. I tried to get my spirits up by yelling and screaming on the ride, but to no avail. From the moment I entered that dome, it was hopeless.
    The roof looked like a James Bond movie opening, with the difference being these women were clothed, I think.
    I could do most of the effects with simple stage lighting. They consist of LED color mixers aimed right in the faces of the riders (Rockin’ Rocket Rockers), moving heads doing their thang, mars lights, and strobe ropes making the dome look like some sort of black-painted rave. The track was right there, and the music was annoying. All of a sudden, it’s over.

What happened?

Shan was with me. She doesn’t read the boards, and I didn’t tell her what was coming. At the end, we both looked at each other and said "WHAT??" with the same horrified looks on our faces. My sisters (non-AP holders who were there for their once-in-a-year-if-that visit were in front of me, and turned around and remarked, “Um… that was lame.”
    For me it was more of a "What the hell just happened?" For Shan it was more of a "What have they done to my favorite ride. I really am sad now. How long does this go?"
    Me: “April 26.”
    “We don’t get Space Mountain back for 4 months?”
    “Nope.”
    “I don’t understand. They just re-did the thing!”
    “I know.”

The worst part about Rockin’ Space Mountain is that the lights expose Space for what it really is: a compact, twisting, forceless, slow roller coaster in a barren black building...
    But in the dark none of that matters. There are stars swirling, you don’t know which way the next turn takes you (HINT: it’s not left), the wind’s in your face, the retro-futuristic music is kicking.
    Like this?
    Space Mountain is gone.

This shows our reactions. I say “Whaaaaa?” Shan says, “OH MY GOD WHAT HAPPENED?”
    Forget presidents, let’s impeach Rockin’ Space Mountain, or as it is now and henceforth known: Crapit Mountain.
    Also: the Jungle Cruise should do “ROCKIN’ JUNGLE CRUISE!!!” All they have to do is turn on all the lights and work lights, turn off the normal show, and blare loud music in the boat and along the river, with the skipper playing the part of the go-go dancer.

Fortunately, the wind cleared the marine layer and I was able to get this dazzling, if crooked, shot of the castle.
    Speaking of dreams, let’s do something about that mountain…

And there you have it!
    A brief visit, to be sure, but it was enough to catch Rockin’ to see what it was like, and to see a rare Double Cancellation.
    As before, I live for comments, so send them my way (the thread will do!) and I’ll be very grateful.
    Have a good one!

Re: Andrew's 01-05 Update: Double Cancellation, Windsday, and ROCKIN' REVIEWED!!

Entertaining as always! I was there last night and have immense respect for you going on Splash Mountain under such cold and windy conditions! Later in the evening, the mercury drop and the wind chill gave me flashbacks of the arctic expedition I went on this summer.

Brrrr.

But fun!

Re: Andrew's 01-05 Update: Double Cancellation, Windsday, and ROCKIN' REVIEWED!!

Brr, indeed, but the plus side was that I got the front.

Well, the thing with Rockin' Space Mountain is...it's only good when you are in the front. I went on it twice yesterday, and I didn't enjoy it as much in the midde of the train.

Quote Originally Posted by xss2077x View Post
    Well, the thing with Rockin' Space Mountain is...it's only good when you are in the front. I went on it twice yesterday, and I didn't enjoy it as much in the midde of the train.
    I dunno. From my experience I don't think that would make much of a difference.

It looks like your the only one in the rock it mountain picture that didnt like it.

• e komo mai

Totally agree with you about Rockin'. It's craptacular.

Nice TR!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

When you do the Goofy Yell, you have to save a bit for the hoooieeee! at the end, Andrew... That one sort of died.

Anyone else notice that the rocks on the roof of the Splash Mountain big drop kinda look like a Hidden Mickey at an angle?...

I had to make a Service Call in Inglewood on Friday afternoon, well past my "Halfway there, might as well head down to the Park" point - and yet I headed home. If they forecast winds and the Fireworks and/or Fantasmic is the reason you're heading there, it's not worth the effort just to hear The Voice Of God cancel the show...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Quote Originally Posted by symbolic View Post
    It looks like your the only one in the rock it mountain picture that didnt like it.

I was thinking the same thing!
    Foolish Mortal

It's always a half-hearted Goofy Yell on my videos of the drop on Splash... I feel obligated, but want to keep the recording kinda clean!

Quote Originally Posted by symbolic View Post
    Clearly you're missing Shan.
    And she's got the same shrug going on.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    I dunno. From my experience I don't think that would make much of a difference.
    Yes, well, if you didn't like Rockin' Space Mountain at all I wouldn't expect you to like it much more any where on the train.

Precisely.

• Banned User

I don't understand? Everytime somebody and myself takes a perfect streight castle photo. It comes out crooked. Is the castle crooked?

Yes. Walt built it that way to add to the dimension of fantasy.

Well, no, he didn't.
    Sometimes I get that in castle pictures because I use trash cans for tripods. It can sometimes mess up my aiming. I don't have a tripod, as you can probably tell!

EDIT: OH! Barfownz! I didn't recognize you with your new avatar! Who is that?
    EDIT2: Oh. I see your title now. Nevermind. I have sigs turned off.
    Last edited by mrfantasmic; 01-06-2007 at 06:16 PM. Reason: oh, nm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast