• I'm A Disney Girl

Question about Fantasmic when it first opened

I could be completely imagning things (and probably am) but when fantasmic first opened at Disneyland...didn't they have a Cindrella barge? for some reason my head keeps saying they did cause I remember thinking how weird it was to have 3 songs for four princess'

and didnt the dragon spit out _way_ more fire back then?

As an AP I should know this...considering I watch it all the time, but I was...10 when it first started soo thats my excuse ^^;

• Hooterville, USA

Re: Question about Fantasmic when it first opened

Heck, the first time I saw Fantasmic, I was in so much awe that I can't remember much of it. I don't recall the Cinderella barge but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. I do remember standing there with my daughter on my shoulders, saying "Wow" over and over.

P.s. I believe it was in 1991 or 92 and MC wasn't invented yet. That's the reason for having a child on my shoulders.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Fantasmic! opened in spring of 1992, and, no, there has never been a Cinderella barge. I haven't seen the show for several months, so don't know if the dragon breathes less fire these days.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

The only big change is they used to have an Ursula barge, but when it wore out several years ago they didn't replace it.

As to the dragon, well, look at the price of Cremora these days...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• e komo mai

There never was a Cinderella barge. But I do remember the dragon spitting more fire.

• Jerm is Food...Not Friend

About 5 min from where the Magic really started

Quote Originally Posted by ladydiamond View Post
    I could be completely imagning things (and probably am) but when fantasmic first opened at Disneyland...didn't they have a Cindrella barge? for some reason my head keeps saying they did cause I remember thinking how weird it was to have 3 songs for four princess'
    It does have 3 songs - Beauty and the Beast, Part of Your World, and Some Day my Prince Will Come. It has always just been the 3 barges, the BatB, Little Mermaid, and Snow White. Which shows how much faith Disney had in the BatB, they added that to the show from the start. But BatB only hit theaters in late 1991 and Fantasmic! started in May of 92 (which should have been Feb/March 92, but the rains of 91 pushed it back.)

J
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

There are only those three barges the princesses use, also. The monkeys use the barges first, and there are only three of those.
    There never was a Cinderella barge.
    As for the fire, it is adjustable due to what type of weather conditions are prevailing that night.

• Shubisha

If you've ever been to WDW there's a quick video montage at the beginning of the segment with cinderella dancing at the ball, aladdin with jasmine, blabla.

• Still lost in Neverland

The Monkey Barges and the Princess Barges are the same barges. When the Monkeys are out of sight, a quick overlay is made, different lights are turned on, the Monkey become Pirates for the Peter Pan segment and the princess and princes board the floats (the Little Mermaid has to be carried on and off the barge by her Prince) and they come back through the cycle going in the opposite direction. There have only been three barges since the beginning. The Ursula Barge has not been seen in several years now.

In case you didn't get the remark above about the cost of Cremora being higher, thus the fire being less, they spray ordinary Cemora in front of the jet flame in the dragons mouth. Cremora is highly flammable in case you didn't know this (so be careful if you use it to add cream to your coffee) and that produces the long flame that is seen coming from the Dragon.

There were more flames in general and more fireworks during the first few shows, but they got tamed down as the show was tweaked to perfection. Also the sound was changed about two years after the show opened as the Park was receiving complaints from a neighborhood about two mile South of the Park that every night at the same times (depending on how many shows there were that night, 2 or 3) that they could hear the entire sound track of the show booming down on them from above. Disneyland did not lend much credence to this complaint, but eventually had an outside team of sound experts come in and run some tests. Much to everyone's surprise they discovered that the original large speakers located on the island, facing the viewing area where tipped up at just the right angle so that the sound went up, bounced off the atmosphere ceiling and came right down smack in the middle of a two block area two miles South of the Park. And the decibel level of the sound at that point was higher than is legally allowed so they tipped the speakers down until that sound trick disappeared and everyone was happy. They eventually took those speakers out and replaced them with newer state of the art speakers that can't be seen but sure can be heard in the Park, but again not outside the Park two miles away.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• ...TWO BITS!

Wow, Inever knew about the sound complaint!

Ursula barge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUkqieSigD4

B&B was originally Auroa and Prince Philp. Hence the 3 balances for Fantasmic= 1) Little Mermaid with Ursula villian, 2) Snow White with Queen/Hag, and 3) Sleeping Beauty with Maleifienct. B&B was coming out and decided to use that in place of Sleeping Beauty kinda disrupting the balance. Sleeping Beauty is not the main princess and Gaston is not a main villian.

Supposedly this or next summer, F! may be altered/ updated...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    Supposedly this or next summer, F! may be altered/ updated...
    I heard this too, but it will be minor alterations. We are just hoping all the "new stuff" is in place by our visit in June and hasn't been cancelled. If it takes place like I have heard, this family will really like!!
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

I think that famous and much-used film shot of the dragon spewing fire that's used in all the commercials and promos and souvenir films...leads people to think the dragon used to spew more fire. But of course, that dragon used in the commercials is an animated (stop-action or cgi) one...and not the one used in the show at all.

I don't think there's been any change in the fire breathing effect since opening. On Opening Night I remember thinking, "Hey! That fire didn't get anywhere near the water."

The one in the commercials is a miniature animatronic, I believe. It doesn't use stop motion or cgi. It's a moving tracking shot.