Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Trekkie Dad's latest DLR trip 1/1/07-1/5/07

While many of you were sleeping in, Jimmie and I got in our car and drove down I-5 for a four-night stay at the DLR. We arrived in the early afternoon, checked in at Hojo's, had lunch at Mimi's, and I went for a 24-mile bike ride on the Santa Ana River Trail before sundown.

It's about 3.5 miles east on Ball Road to the trail, but once on it, it's a pretty nice ride. I went north on the trail to a park in Yorba Linda and turned around.

Since we were blocked out on 1/1, instead of going in the parks, we had dinner at Yamabuki. We opted for the Imperial menu. (no pics) Then we walked back through Downtown Disney. Jimmie wanted me to take pictures of this tree in DD.

And this tree, too.

Of course I had to get a night shot of the DCA gate.

After checking to see who might show up for the meets I proposed, we called it a night, so we could have an early start the next day.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Re: Trekkie Dad's latest DLR trip 1/1/07-1/5/07

Here's the view from our room at Hojo's.

January 2:

We got an early start and walked throught gardens at Hojo's

Across the street

stopped to look at the Matterhorn

past this icon of fine family dining

almost there

at the crosswalk

along the east walk

Caltrans chic:

Waiting for the park to open (early entry was going on)

Main street

Let's head this way

Recognize this place?

We wanted to ride Space Mountain before it started "Rockin." We're the fuzzy people in the back.

On to the next ride

Jimmie says, "You're not taking my picture!" Too late!

I got to sit in front.

Then we rode the other side.

Time for a break

The castle looks nice

Hmmm. What's this? a "time castle"?

Let's get a fastpass AND get in line, just like we did at Space Mountain.

But the ride broke down shortly after we got in line. No worry, we still have our fastpasses for later. Time for breakfast at the Riverbelle Terrace. Nice view.

Breakfast is over. Let's check out this ride. We can walk right in.

Pretty spooky inside, and too dark for most pictures.

It's almost 9:45, and we can get fastpasses for Splash. But first, Jimmie wants to go in here.

Tiggerriffic!

Beware of heffalumps and woozles!

Jimmie's shopping. What can I photograph?

Let's ride this. It's another one of our favorites.

Goat trick!

Reminds me of some sausage I once had on a pizza. It's a good thing I don't eat red meat any more.

After a pineapple spear for a snack we wandered over here.

This explains it.

Jedi's have to start training at a very early age

But look who shows up looking for recruits.

"Judge me not by my size!"

Wolfy called. The meet's about to start, and there's a long line at the parking lot trams. They're going to be late. Better see who's at the hub. But first we have to navigate this crowd.

Next up: our first meet of 2007
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.

• Minion

Nice TR so far!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

great commentary, looking forward to the rest
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

January 2, continued. The noon meet:

It seems like everyone was late. How nice it was to see this familiar face!

Our cell phones were working overtime. Hollywood1939 called me to report he had just turned off the freeway. Maseca, Tassie, and DisneyFanaticBoy were on the phone with Wolfy at various times. It was 12:30 before most arrived, and we moved on to the Plaza Inn for lunch.

Wolfette and Wolfy

Hollywood1939 (Jack), his brother Jeremy, and Maseca (Dan)

Here's a nice head shot of Jack.

Tassie (Kathy) and her family

Still missing were DisneyFanaticBoy (Josh) and his friend Andrea, both from Calgary. We decided not to wait for them and headed on to Pirates, minus Tassie and family.

The obligatory "in line shot"

NOS in the afternoon

Just inside the door.

Sorry, I don't have pictures of the interior--too dark to shoot w/o flash. At the exit were Josh and Andrea. We decided to head for "it's a small world holiday." On the way I stopped to shoot the "Happiest Turkeys on Earth" while several of our party satisfied their nicotine cravings.

While in line for iaswh, Jack pointed out this hose and started taking pictures. I took one, too. (You could hear the water running.)

Some people never seem to put their cameras down. (That's DisneyFanaticBoy in the foreground.)

I even got a few shots.

OK, time to put the camera down. After iaswh, Jimmie and I went with Josh and Andrea on the train to Main Street, where they departed. (Andrea had a plane to catch.) The others went to Buzz to wait while Tassie's family rode. Then they were to go on to Hearthstone. (Well, actually they were supposed to pick us up on Main Street, but Wolfy forgot and they passed us by while Jimmie and I watched the Dapper Dans sing at the Flag Retreat. Very nicely done.

But we DID meet up at Hearthstone eventually. The others went home while Jimmie and I went back into Disneyland to see if anyone would be at the hub at 6. I had a brief conversation with Kwgrlup and agreed to meet again the next day. We had fastpasses to burn and were ready for dinner. So we got in a very SLOW line at Riverbelle Terrace. (Didn't we just have breakfast there?) While we were in line, a nice couple offered to share their table with a view of Fantasmic! We ate and visited with them, but we didn't stay for the show. Instead, we started using up the fastpasses we had collected in the morning. The first was Splash.

Some got caught with their mouths open.

Then it was Indy, followed by Big Thunder. We stopped to watch the fireworks from small world mall.

And we finished off our day with a final ride on the "old" Space Mountain. The next day it would be "Rockin' Space Mountain."
    Last edited by Trekkie Dad; 01-07-2007 at 10:51 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Looks like you had a great trip Trekkie Dad and got to meet up with a few Micechatters! Wish you could have stayed through the weekend! That was funny when you called during the meet! Hope you liked it when we all yelled "Hi Trekkie Dad!"

• World Traveler

Great pictures! Thanks.

• Beep Beep!

Great TR!
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Buttercup View Post
    Looks like you had a great trip Trekkie Dad and got to meet up with a few Micechatters! Wish you could have stayed through the weekend! That was funny when you called during the meet! Hope you liked it when we all yelled "Hi Trekkie Dad!"
    Yeah, that was a gas. It was 12:30, and we had stopped to regroup during our bike ride. I only had a couple minutes until the slowest riders rolled up. I might do that again during the big meet on the 28th.

• Banned User

great report!! I am loving the pics, you did an awsome job. Tassies husband looks like he is tired of his picture being taken thanks for the great pics

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I so wished I could have joined you...but work always gets in the way! Next time! I'm glad you had a good time!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Wow I needed to do my hair. Nice pics Trekkie, it was nice to meet you.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

January 3, 2007.

Up early again and down through the Hojo gardens.

across the street

checking out the Matterhorn

Look! Space Mountain!

back across the street

down the walk

through bag check

past DCA

Pretty quiet in DD

into the Grand Californian

to the Storytellers Cafe

Character encounters:

Did you know there is a hidden Mickey in this clock face?

Checking out the lobby. Jimmie's favorite doors

Back to the esplanade. It's after 8:30, and people are starting to arrive

People buying tickets

waiting to get in

left tunnel

Main street

I wonder where everyone is headed.

Space mountain is not running at the moment.

So we'll go here.

Got out and picked up fastpasses for Space.

Let's ride the Matterhorn.

DCA will be open soon. CUL8R, Disneyland.

Not "officially" open, but the gates open about 9:35

And we can ride Soarin'.

The wait is short.

10:00 as we exit Soarin'. The rest of DCA is open.

No wait here.

Does the rock music make a difference? Not by much.

Back to "Hollywood"

This is also a walkon.

"Be sure you get my good side."

Know where these doors are?

Muppetvision 3D!

Just enough time to use those fastpasses for Rockin' Space Mountain before the meet!

Tune in next time to find out who shows up.

• Never Look Back

Nice meeting you and your wife...

I am glad that we had a chance to have a small meet, and ended up meeting again at the Hearthstone Lounge. I hope you guys had a great time.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

January 3, continued.

Fresh off of Rockin' Space Mountain, we went over to see who would show up at our next meet. Kwgrlup showed up with three boys (two sons and a nephew), and along with DisneyFanaticBoy and Jimmie, we headed over to Whitewater for lunch. As many times as Kwgrlup has been to Disneyland with her kids, she did not know about Whitewater. Here are the two older boys.

Kwgrlup and I were taking pictures of each other.

Jimmie and DisneyFanaticBoy in an unguarded moment

After lunch, Jimmie decided to shop her way back to our room, and the rest of us headed into DCA. Three of us did single rider on the rapids. You can see the drenching I got on my "good side."

Then Kwgrlup and her charges went their own way, and DFB and I went back into Disneyland. DFB had to get a picture of the wait board.

We figured the best way to dry off was to wait in the standby queue for Space, which was posted at 70 minutes by the time we got there. (But first we got fastpasses for later.) Not long after we got in line, a CM informed us that the ride had shut down, though we could stay in line if we wanted. A number of people left, but we decided to stick it out as the line continued to get shorter. About 20 minutes later I pointed out that people were allowed to the queue, which had to mean the ride had been reopened. Even with the down time (or because of it), our wait turned out to be under an hour. This was DFB's first ride on the Rockin' version, my second. Here we are!

DFB was dying to get some pictures of the sub lagoon with water in it, so first we decided to endure Innoventions to get to the second level, so we could look across Tomorrowland. We went in on the sports show, and stood right by the exercise bikes.

We got picked to ride them. Despite my desire to raise the seat to a proper level, I stuck it out and quickly pulled away from the tiring DFB. I was just getting warmed up. After about three minutes, I was already ahead of DFB by a virtual quarter mile and was looking for a faster gear. What can I say? It wasn't exactly a fair match.

As soon as we got off the bikes, we headed upstairs to see what we could see. To get a shot of anything in the lagoon required a good telephoto lens, which neither of us had. Here's my best attempts

We tried the queue for Autopia. Nothing. I got this shot from the spaces in the Monorail queue before I was "busted" by a CM.

Well, we tried. Then we headed over to Toontown so DFB could get a slice of pizza. After that he wanted to check out the Princess training.

DFB got his crown. Doesn't he look dashing?

As the sun went down, I got this shot of small world being lit.

6:00 rolled around, and only Jimmie was there at the hub. We waited the prerequisite "15 minutes" and then got on the Monorail to have a bite at Rainforest Cafe. (no pix) DFB's club card got us a table right away, and we nibbled on appetizers instead of ordering full meals.

Jimmie went back to our room and DFB and I got back on the Monorail. Shortly after we arrived in Tomorrowland, Kwgrlup called my cell and offered us the three Space fastpasses she had collected earlier that she wasn't planning to use after all. How cool is that?

DFB wanted to get some video of Rockin' Space, so he rode alone first, and then we rode together one last time. His camera didn't cooperate. But here we are on the ride, anyway. That made three times for the both of us.

Almost forgot. There is a good viewing spot for the fireworks from the fastpass queue. I stopped for a few shots. These are the best.

And then I put the camera in movie mode.

After that, I pretty much put the camera away. DFB and I continued on our journey, taking in the Tiki room, Jungle Cruise, HMH, and Pirates. DFB swore he'd try to get in the park early the next day before the crowds. Did it happen? Wait and see. For now, let's say good night to Disneyland with one last shot of the castle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast