Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: What to Do With that Old Millionaire Building at DCA...

all i have to say is no more dineing, no more pixar and i beg for something a bit more orginal from Disney. I think I speak for many that we hate seeing the same thing pawned from resort to resort. i can understnad like pirates or other classics that they at least make different, but the 3-d movies need to end one park and it stays there not all 5 resorts.

I love the great movie ride and would love to see the updated version of that but i doubt there is enough room for it. that ride seems pretty big over at MGM.

• ...TWO BITS!

^ I compared the satellite pics (I think I made sure the scale was correct). It would be possible for TGMR where H&D is, but H&D would have to be torn down for a new, slightly larger facility that has a slightly different footprint in DCA. I mean, we don't need a complete copy of D/MGM's track layout.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

long term solution:

FilmFreak and I are thinking along the same lines on this one. once they expand into the timon lot, the timon tram service will be rendered useless, thus freeing up the timon tram load/unload station for future expansion of HPB. once this happens, then muppet3D and millionaire builing can be joined together (or demolished and rebuilt into one large building) that expands into the tram station, allowing for a massive 10+ minute long Great Muppet Movie Ride. I really think that one thing DCA is sorely lacking is a long people eating, fully immersive ride (like DL has in PoTC and HM), and GMMR could be just the thing.

quick fix:

Whose Line Is It Anyways? yes its another show, but its one that can easily be kept fresh because it uses improvisation and the theme of each act can be changed each showing (just like on the TV show), provided the actors are genuinely funny like the guys on the actual show are
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by JK020489 View Post

I love the great movie ride and would love to see the updated version of that but i doubt there is enough room for it. that ride seems pretty big over at MGM.
    That's just it though. We jump all over Disney or not having any new ideas, and we fall victim to it ourselves. What should go into the Millionaire area. Crush Coaster? Great Movie Ride? Whether they are liked or not, how about something original?
    Personally what I think would be cool would be to turn Muppetvision 3D into an actual theatrical presentation with the Muppets. The show can always be tinkered with, and Muppets can keep current 'ad libbed' jokes ala the Genie from Aladdin. The 3D show IS great, but it no longer has a substantial following and has outlived its lifespan.
    The Millionaire building should be opened up to have some sort of indoor/outdoor dark ride in the vein of Alice in Wonderland. Pick your theme. Hollywood Backlot has too many boxes right next to each other.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    That's just it though. We jump all over Disney or not having any new ideas, and we fall victim to it ourselves. What should go into the Millionaire area. Crush Coaster? Great Movie Ride? Whether they are liked or not, how about something original?
    Personally what I think would be cool would be to turn Muppetvision 3D into an actual theatrical presentation with the Muppets. The show can always be tinkered with, and Muppets can keep current 'ad libbed' jokes ala the Genie from Aladdin. The 3D show IS great, but it no longer has a substantial following and has outlived its lifespan.
    The Millionaire building should be opened up to have some sort of indoor/outdoor dark ride in the vein of Alice in Wonderland. Pick your theme. Hollywood Backlot has too many boxes right next to each other.
    I agree that they should do something completely original. (rocketeer! hehehe). Crush Coaster doesn't fit the theme. And neither does Monsters Inc but oh well... it's done.

Great Movie Ride or something like it would be neat, but I don't think it should be a large car with a live host like in MGM Studios. I think it should be an omnimover ride that celebrates film by exploring different genres but with animatronics recreating many scenes. For example, let's say you enter the "action" section of the ride where you'll see key moments from popular action films. Enter the sci-fi area where you'll see scenes from Star Wars, Star Trek... or anything else. "Fantasy" section can take you to Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, etc etc. This is similar to The Great Movie ride in many respects but I'm pushing for more scenes that are smaller and can be changed out after awhile.

I actually don't know how popular this type of ride could be, so they would certainly need to have the greatest special effects or SOMEthing to keep people coming back. Definitely needs to be entertaining and have a lot of Disney magic.

The queue can have a history of film going way back to the silent era and vaudeville acts of the past. As for the exterior of the ride, MGM Studios got it right... they put the great movie ride in the most iconic movie theater in Hollywood. That's the type of exterior that would make the ride complete, and kinda shows another missed opportunity here. (it's okay for stuff to be copied from other parks if it really WORKS).

Continuing on, the exit of the ride can take everyone to an exhibit or museum display of all Walt Disney studios releases that have earned oscar awards or nominations or made some sort of breakthru. To be able to see some of the academy awards that Walt has won himself would be a real treat to many and best of all, it's history that disney fans would enjoy.

Universal studios is constantly patting itself on the back at that theme park during the studio tour. I think Hollywood Pictures Backlot can serve as Disney's outlet of doing the same.

Hollywood Backlot needs to become more Hollywood than Backlot to be a true success. Nobody really wants to see how movies are made. They want to BE in the movie.

I think Superstar Limo has some potential still... they just need to rework the concept is all.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Sock Puppet

Well, what if they combined the idea for Superstar Limo, with the design layout of the Crush coaster. I think there is a good ride there, just something that is not the exact replica of what's going to be in paris. What I am saying here, is keep the track layout of the coaster as well as the inner show building idea, but remove anything that has to do with Pixar or Nemo. In fact, replace it with the ideas for Superstar limo, but instead of it being a modern ride through Hollywood, have the ride be more like a car ride through a circa 1940's Hollywood. Which I believe should be the overall theme of the area, because that was Hollywood's golden age. Really all they would have to do to keep with the theme is change the exterior of the buildings and the atmosphere. Switch out Muppets for Philharmagic and shape the building to look more like Mann's Chinese Theatre (with hand prints in front). Make sure each sidewalk has a star on it, like the walk of fame. Tear down the Faux backdrop in exchange for the Holiday sign, although this would mean that the back drop would have to be raised a little bit, so that the sign could be seen the minute you enter the area. Turn Hollywood and dine into something more useful, like the purposed Muppet ride, it has enough space for a dark ride and would fit in well next to Monsters Inc. Tower of Terror is already properly themed and then comes the Timon expansion I think should be the purposed Rocketeer E-Ticket. Not sure what kind of ride system, but I'm thinking sort of indoor version of Tatsu (also already purposed). And to top off the area, entertainment performers like they have in MGM (I know some of you won't know what I'm talking about but the non-costumed talent adds to the area.)

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Test track. Out and over the park then over Timon for the speed parts.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• n/a

Why not a Walt Museum? Both displays that were inside The Walt Disney Story w/ Mr. Lincoln could be pulled out of moth balls with alot of other cool stuff.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• Banned User

Some one mentioned it, but something Dick Tracy would be fantastic. I would love an Indy type ride though the gangster backstreets. Think of Pirates AA's + gangster personality, and add the Indy ride system and you got a Awesome ride.

+

Although the Size of the building is about only 1/5th of the Indy Building, I'm sure they could figure something out.

Think about the possibilities though. You have Dick Tracy, Big Boy, The Blank, Mumbles...ect. Tons of characters that could have nice gags and lines for that type of Ride. It would bring a great amount of excitement and energy to an older property that's not being used. They would probably have to rap the queue around somewhere but I'm sure they could find a place for it.
    Last edited by Dirton; 01-11-2007 at 09:37 AM.

• MiceChat Moderator

Yah, TheBob, I like some of those ideas. Though looking at the overall top view of the park, I think Bug's Land could be wiped out and relocated so that Hollywood area isn't a massive 'L' shape.

And Dirton, that Dick Tracy ride would be totally awesome. Maybe not as extreme as Indiana Jones because haha... how off-road could you get in old hollywood? I think it would be awesome if you were called to assist Dick Tracy in a stake out that doesn't start out all that fast, but ends up with all types of gangster cars coming out firing while you dodge your way down back alleys. Though... maybe Disney wouldn't make a ride where the guns are directed AT the guest... that might be too frightening for the younger ones. But I like where this could go! If they do remove the Timon loading and unloading area, a big show building for an E-Ticket can go right there.

Demento, there's a walt disney museum that's being erected in San Francisco by his daughter Diane. It will open soon I believe. And also, if they did do a full on museum for walt, I think it should be at the end of Downtown Disney where the Disneyland Hotel begins.

• Banned User

I meant that the ride system would be perfect for drastic movements and incredible turns. I've always been in love with gangsters and Dick Tracy is a perfect perception of the 30's gangster band wagon. Disney is known for their Ride Sight gags (IE the PotC "prisoners whistling for the keys") and the Characters, mainly villains, are perfect for that tongue in cheek humor, keeping the ride from being too intense. I know it probably wont come to fruition but I really would love a Dick Tracy Ride and I think the Back lot is the only place for it.

The other perfect spot would be Disney Sea's American Waterfront.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton View Post
    I meant that the ride system would be perfect for drastic movements and incredible turns. I've always been in love with gangsters and Dick Tracy is a perfect perception of the 30's gangster band wagon. Disney is known for their Ride Sight gags (IE the PotC "prisoners whistling for the keys") and the Characters, mainly villains, are perfect for that tongue in cheek humor, keeping the ride from being too intense. I know it probably wont come to fruition but I really would love a Dick Tracy Ride and I think the Back lot is the only place for it.

I too would love a Dick Tracy ride and I love the movie too. Question is... would be a ride like POTC where you pass along scenes with animatronics doing their ganster things? Pass by an actual robbery? Pass by scenes of Dick Tracy planning his move and eventually saving the day with the prisoners behind bars? If it would be that kind of ride, then maybe the Indy Transports wouldn't be the most practical method.

But if it were a ride where we're put into the action, that ride system would be perfect.

But when I compare the two, I kinda want the former ride for some reason.

• Banned User

I think you could get a mix of the two. Slowly creeping past a show scene then all of a sudden you're noticed and thrown into the action, being shot at and chased. but then when you lose them you could go back to slow and see some more story, then in a final shootout the action picks up again.

• Fastest Man Alive

I think that Dick Tracy ride is a GREAT idea! It sounds fun, it fits the theme without too much stretching, and does not exist at any of the other parks.

• Banned User

There originally was intended to be a dick Tracy ride like BLAB but Eisner scraped the idea. I just think that it's an awesome property that they don't do anything with.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast