Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• ...TWO BITS!

Re: What to Do With that Old Millionaire Building at DCA...

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Hollywood Backlot has too many boxes right next to each other.
    That's what a frontlot is. Blocks of soundstages. Which is why I think this "theme" as some may argue, should stay in the area that had its recent makeover and leave the rest of the Hollywood to real sets & facades (cough, Hyperion Theater, cough). And I agree, sometimes we revert back to clone ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I agree that they should do something completely original. (rocketeer! hehehe). Crush Coaster doesn't fit the theme. And neither does Monsters Inc but oh well... it's done.

Great Movie Ride or something like it would be neat, but I don't think it should be a large car with a live host like in MGM Studios. I think it should be an omnimover ride that celebrates film by exploring different genres but with animatronics recreating many scenes....

As for the exterior of the ride, MGM Studios got it right... they put the great movie ride in the most iconic movie theater in Hollywood. That's the type of exterior that would make the ride complete, and kinda shows another missed opportunity here. (it's okay for stuff to be copied from other parks if it really WORKS).

Nobody really wants to see how movies are made. They want to BE in the movie.

I think Superstar Limo has some potential still... they just need to rework the concept is all.
    Omnimover system for TGMR sounds neat. It'd definately be different from Florida's version. And maybe take up a little less space.

From what I had in mind, a simple facade, not detailed one like Chinese Theater, would work best in this "frontlot" section...

I think "studio parks" are realizing that. I think USH shows more "behind the scenes" than USO does. And with today's DVD tech, the public can learn about how movies are made from those behind the scenes features.

I also think Superstar Limo had something going in bluesky, but they just went in the wrong direction.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• If We Can Dream It...

I already had a thread on my ideas, check it out:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48417
    - Horizonsfan

I really like the idea of The Great Movie Ride, but I would just not only include the Millionaire building, but the whole Toon Studios area and such regardless of if it's good or bad, needs to be rebuilt or just dressed up to fit this definitive version of the GMR. Such as the monorail pass over a replica of the Chinese Theater (where Monsters was) and look over a red carpet. Within the the ride it should feature both classics and new films that are part of the Buena Vista catalogue. Now the dark ride at the original version (at DMGM) Footlight Parade, Singin' in the Rain, Mary Poppins,The Public Enemy,Alien, Raiders of the Lost Ark,Tarzan the Ape Man,Casablanca, Fantasia, and The Wizard of Oz. Unless you are a real film buff, some of those might not sound familiar. But Disney has Miramax and Touchstone and other films they can add and they could again get MGM to help them out. For they have more recent films they could incorporate like Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Chicago, The Sixth Sense, and obviously they have plenty of films they can show in the end with trailers, but they can could do anything. The point should be in a ways that Hollywood is an important part of California and Hollywood is the place where cinema began. I know that is totally random, but a large AA and comprehensive ride like this doesn't exist in this park and I think that this ride would be a good addition for DCA.

I also like the idea of a sound stage with ABC television and Disney Channel shows (almost like Superstar Television), but some might see it as an advertisement for the channels, although ABC has really came back to the big leagues recently with some of the most popular shows (Desperate Housewives, LOST, Ugly Betty, etc.), so maybe they could take the popularity of these shows and transform them into a sound stage of some sort.

• ...TWO BITS!

^ Oh, CHICAGO .

The ABC TV and Disney Channel intrigues me. Somehow I'm leaning those towards the Prop Department restaurant idea I have to be built over Hyperion Theater's waiting area... because as of right now, can't think of how they could be made as rides...

EDIT: If a good idea somes around for Millionaire, I'd place Rocketeer then in a new "Route 66" area considerin its early 1900s feel in a desert airfield...
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 01-11-2007 at 03:33 PM.

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Quote Originally Posted by dsnyfnatic View Post
    long term solution:

FilmFreak and I are thinking along the same lines on this one. once they expand into the timon lot, the timon tram service will be rendered useless, thus freeing up the timon tram load/unload station for future expansion of HPB. once this happens, then muppet3D and millionaire builing can be joined together (or demolished and rebuilt into one large building) that expands into the tram station, allowing for a massive 10+ minute long Great Muppet Movie Ride. I really think that one thing DCA is sorely lacking is a long people eating, fully immersive ride (like DL has in PoTC and HM), and GMMR could be just the thing.

quick fix:

Whose Line Is It Anyways? yes its another show, but its one that can easily be kept fresh because it uses improvisation and the theme of each act can be changed each showing (just like on the TV show), provided the actors are genuinely funny like the guys on the actual show are
    What happened to the improv show they used to have. I forgot what it was called, something using acronyms. It was really good, but now drawn to the magic or whatever the drawing show is is held there.
    If we chase the stars to lose our shadow, Peter Pan and Wendy turned out fine.

• n/a

Quote Originally Posted by jesjas03 View Post
    What happened to the improv show they used to have. I forgot what it was called, something using acronyms. It was really good, but now drawn to the magic or whatever the drawing show is is held there.
    DUH
    Department of Untapped Hilarity
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• Life in the Fastpass Lane

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    I say build Rockin' Rollercoaster inside!
    I second that motion! (having not read ahead, I may be third, fourth, etc. - regardless, I agree! )

• ...TWO BITS!

Is "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" still airing new episodes? I think they're shown on ABC Family. If that show is still running, this could be good to tie in with each other.

BTW, did DUH become Laughing Stock in Frontierland?

-Jurassic Park

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    Is "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" still airing new episodes? I think they're shown on ABC Family. If that show is still running, this could be good to tie in with each other.
    i dunno if its still airing new episodes or not. if not, what better way to revive the show?
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by demento57 View Post
    DUH
    Department of Untapped Hilarity
    thanks i was thinking GAG. i miss that.
    If we chase the stars to lose our shadow, Peter Pan and Wendy turned out fine.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

i dunno if its still airing new episodes or not. if not, what better way to revive the show?

The problem with something like "Who's Line Is it Anyway" is that you'd need to pay actors to do several shows a day for the entire day. Most comedians would do maybe two shows in one night max... and that's WRITTEN material... not improv.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

^ very true, but are you telling me there arent enough aspiring comedians in the LA area who would be willing to do 3-4 shows per day?

that area is crawling with people eager to get their big break

and anyways, worst case scenario, the shows arent really improv, they are actually scripted and just made to appear as if they were improv, the audience wouldnt really know any better if it was done well enough

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

^ very true, but are you telling me there arent enough aspiring comedians in the LA area who would be willing to do 3-4 shows per day?

that area is crawling with people eager to get their big break

and anyways, worst case scenario, the shows arent really improv, they are actually scripted and just made to appear as if they were improv, the audience wouldnt really know any better if it was done well enough

Oh sure there's tons of comedians looking for their big break. But it doesn't mean they're actually funny and it also doesn't mean that Disney would want to pay for it.

Sad thing about something like that is that once the budget is gone, the show's done. Building an attraction would be a better investment in the long run. Hopefully they've already learned their lesson after giving us all sorts of cheap temporary entertainment.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Oh sure there's tons of comedians looking for their big break. But it doesn't mean they're actually funny and it also doesn't mean that Disney would want to pay for it.

Sad thing about something like that is that once the budget is gone, the show's done. Building an attraction would be a better investment in the long run. Hopefully they've already learned their lesson after giving us all sorts of cheap temporary entertainment.

i totally agree with you that an attraction would be a better idea (hence why i said Whose Line is the quick fix, and something like Great Muppet Movie Ride would be the long term solution)

the park could certainly use more attractions, esp ones that the entire family can go on, but while budget/time/space is being acquired for it, something like Whose Line could make for a good filler, something to last for a few years until construction would begin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345