Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: Observations from My First Experience with the Jedi Training Academy

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    The Jedi Training Academy is a great idea.

I love the idea.
    Kids seem to like it, and that is good. However, I do not love the idea. Here's why:

Tomorrowland is supposed to be 'futuristic' - the world of tomorrow. I still cannot figure out how STAR WARS fits into that idea. I mean, at the beginning of each movie, doesn't it read 'A Long time ago..."??? Hello?

This totally TOTALLY puzzles me.

• Comin' at ya!

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    The kids don't care about the story timeline, nor do they care if the voices are 100%, nor do they care about their jedi masters having a go at the sith lords.

What they care about is getting the chance to fight with the Darth Vader and the Darth Maul. I can tell you that if I were a youngling and this was going on at Disneyland...I would refuse to do anything else at the park until I was chosen and got my ten seconds of glory.

I think it's wonderful.

By the way...perfection is in the eye of the beholder.
    Very well said, bravo!
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Kids seem to like it, and that is good. However, I do not love the idea. Here's why:

Tomorrowland is supposed to be 'futuristic' - the world of tomorrow. I still cannot figure out how STAR WARS fits into that idea. I mean, at the beginning of each movie, doesn't it read 'A Long time ago..."??? Hello?

This totally TOTALLY puzzles me.
    Just because it's supposed to have taken place in the past does not mean we have thier world's technology or knowledge of things.

It's an alternate reality, something that we don't know. What we don't know now is the future for us.

I was intensely interested in seeing the show, myself, and I did enjoy aspects of it. However, the other members of my party lost interest right away, so that fact tells me something about the event needs improving.

The reason I started this thread is because, in "Disney's Table Scraps", some people specifically cited this show as a reason for me to renew my annual passport. And, I agreed at that time that the event seems like a great idea. So, I was looking forward to the show. But, after having now seen it, there isn't as much entertainment value for spectators as I was expecting.

It's designed for a few lucky children to participate, for parents to watch their children participate, and for those children to eventually buy lightsabers in the shop next door. Adults and adolescents would be interested in seeing this thing if Disney gave them something to actually watch.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Complete and total authenticity is not what is going to make the kids happy. It's simpley the esthetic experience that is going to make them feel like they were picked to fight of some of the most famous science fiction villains! To nit-pick about how the Jedi Training Academy does not strictly adhere to the movie reminds me about a big discussion we had a while ago about the face characters, and how we get really into the details when Cinderella's nose is too big, or Snow White seems too pudgy.

It's the big picture that matters here. The big picture is that Disneyland was designed for kids and the kids at heart. Meaning, children and adults alike can enjoy what the park offers, and it is up to them to find the magic that Disneyland produces.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Why should anything at Disneyland be just for kids?
    By Golly you're right!! If I were you, I'd sue!! That's discrimination in its most insidious form: children's stage productions.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

I watched it Sunday, and my kids werent with me. And I thought it was great. Seeing so many little kids get SO excited was great. I know its not a show geared towards someone in my age range, but I still thought and still think its a great idea.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

It's designed for a few lucky children to participate, for parents to watch their children participate, and for those children to eventually buy lightsabers in the shop next door. Adults and adolescents would be interested in seeing this thing if Disney gave them something to actually watch.
    I disagree here. I have gone by the Jedi Training Academy quite a few times, and while I am not rivited by what's going on, I am still entertained by the younglings fighting off evil. You don't have to be drawn into every single little thing that Disneyland offers.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom View Post
    I totally agree. My youngest is 8 and a big SW fan. When he got picked it was a huge deal to him. He LOVED it. And the other kids that were picked and the ones in the audience loved it too. All I heard from the kids around us was "how cool" and "that was awesome" etc etc.
    My youngest is 8 as well, and is TOTALLY looking forward to this when he returns and it's his day with just dad and no siblings. I'm a little apprehensive, though, about what will happen if he's not picked. I'm hoping that if they miss him in round one they'll catch him in round 2.

Those little kids look so crushed when they aren't selected.

• Sock Puppet

I was intensely interested in seeing the show, myself, and I did enjoy aspects of it. However, the other members of my party lost interest right away, so that fact tells me something about the event needs improving.

The reason I started this thread is because, in "Disney's Table Scraps", some people specifically cited this show as a reason for me to renew my annual passport.
    I am formally asking you on behave of everyone who reads your constant sniveling please do no renew your pass, infact you should probably never even watch a disney cartoon again, as that every thing disney is soooo disapointing to you

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Just because it's supposed to have taken place in the past does not mean we have thier world's technology or knowledge of things.

It's an alternate reality, something that we don't know. What we don't know now is the future for us.
    Yes, the fact that each episode of the Star Wars saga begins with "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... " is just like "Once upon a time in a faraway place...". The line is meant to create a sense of timelessness and otherworldliness.

Many of Star Wars' themes concern the influence of technology for the better and for the worse. And, Tomorrowland, itself, is not about the future of our reality, necessarily. The realm is about visionaries and the themes of progress and advancement.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

I guarantee you my 6 year old doesnt care about any of that. She would only care about the possibility of getting picked and how awesome it would be to fight against either Darth Vader or Darth Maul.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I might be unique in this situation: My 8 year old son LOVES this show, but he is very shy and DOES NOT want to be picked! It is so funny, he hides behind me while they are in the selection process. However, once selected he absolutely loves to watch the show.

Personally, I get a little bored waiting for all 20 or so kids go through the same routine, but it is entertaining and cool to see all the authentic Star Wars costumes anyway with all the great music, so to me, that in and of itself is entertaining enough.

• Neep meep beep

I've watched the Jedi Training Academy a few times, and I think it's awesome. It's a good balance of entertainment, safety precautions, and self conscious fun, and I can guarantee those kids are not thinking about it as deeply as you may be here. When I was a 7 year old at Disneyland, I would have given anything to have this in place back then!

• The pride is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    I've watched the Jedi Training Academy a few times, and I think it's awesome. It's a good balance of entertainment, safety precautions, and self conscious fun, and I can guarantee those kids are not thinking about it as deeply as you may be here. When I was a 7 year old at Disneyland, I would have given anything to have this in place back then!
    Emphasis mine...leave it to a lawyer!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast