Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Observations from My First Experience with the Jedi Training Academy

I finally had a chance to see the Jedi Training Academy on Friday, and the rest of my party who don't care much about "Star Wars" criticized the show as being "kid's stuff".

Now, I, who happen to think seeing Darth Vader, Darth Maul, and Storm Troopers in Disneyland is immensely exciting, have to also admit that the event is disappointing.

The process of selecting younglings to participate in each session should really be handled before the show even begins. The Jedi Order should appear to be genuinely seeking recruits from the Republic and should do so by testing them beforehand.

The script needs reworking also so that there is less talk, more action, and fewer direct quotations and paraphrasing from the films. Before the Disney Character Voices division was dismantled, Disney would get the original performers to record dialogue for use at Disneyland, but Darth Vader's voice seems to be taken directly from the films. Yoda, too, is nothing more than a disembodied voice when an opportunity is there to have him physically appear.

The most glaring mistake, though, is that, after the audience sees Padawan after Padawan perform the same combination on Vader and Maul, there is no finish,... no point at which the Jedi Masters, themselves, confront the Sith. The person conducting the session I saw was quite proficient when he demonstrates his martial artistry at the very beginning of the show, and the audience is led to believe that there will be more of the same later.

Incidentally, many people have commented that there is a lack of consistency by having Darth Maul and Darth Vader appear together, and I assumed in other threads that the two of them might be apparitions in the same way Vader appeared to Luke Skywalker during his training in "The Empire Strikes Back". But, such is definitely not the case. So, there is, indeed, a story problem.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Re: Observations from My First Experience with the Jedi Training Academy

So is there anything you like about Disneyland?

I thought this was an entertaining idea for young children that didn't like princesses.

• Fastest Man Alive

Vader and Yoda lines were not taken straight from the movies. They were performed by 'Lucas approved voice doubles'. That being said, yeah, basically spew forth the same dialogue as seen in the movies. It would be cool if the instructor would fight Vader and such, but with the proximity of the children and audience a choreographed stunt show is just not possible. Plus, this can reasonably be a 'training simulation', since while it is odd that Vader and Maul are together, it is just as odd that quivering 3-year old girls can hold their own against Darth Vader and force push away stormtroopers with 5 minutes of training. Even Anakin was not that strong with the force.

• Comin' at ya!

Or it's just a kids show? Yeah it's really inaccurate,, but the kids won't notice.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

The Jedi Training Academy is a great idea.

I love the idea.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

The whole idea is just for the kids to join in and have fun, which is exactly what I saw. I dont think my kids would want to be picked just to have someone else steal the entire show. The kids (volunteers) at the ones who the show is supposed to be about and for.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Comin' at ya!

It's geared for the kids, not us teens or adults who know that it's inaccurate and stuff. The Kids don't care that technically darth maul and vader didn't exist even remotely near the same time period. Nor do they care that the voice acting is by doubles (although I have to say, Yoda's sounded just like Frank Oz).

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I want to say one thing. That is I think people assume that Walt Disney himself was flawless when it came to putting on entertainment at the park. As much as it is hard to believe I think even sometimes he "erred" to the extent that if MiceChat was around back then, even he would be criticized over some minor detail.

For example on the "Your Host Walt Disney" dvd, under the chapter "Disneyalnd '59" on Disc 1, there is a dancing segment in front of the Matterhorn for its grand opening. There logically is Swiss dancers dancing to some song when all of a sudden a square dancing troupe comes in and starts dancing with these same Swiss dancers! Now if we were around back then we would be sitting here complaining how Western dancers have nothing to do with the theming of the Matterhorn, etc...

My uncle also has a picture of Tomorrowland in 1956 where people were being paraded through the streets of Tomorrowland in the same turn of the century vehicles used on Main Street.

This is the main reason why I am lax when it comes to current theming issues at DL. This doesn't mean that I feel that anything should go, but I do allow for error and realize in general if done right then it is at least good and should be enjoyed for what it is.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frecky View Post
    The whole idea is just for the kids to join in and have fun, which is exactly what I saw. I dont think my kids would want to be picked just to have someone else steal the entire show. The kids (volunteers) at the ones who the show is supposed to be about and for.
    I totally agree. My youngest is 8 and a big SW fan. When he got picked it was a huge deal to him. He LOVED it. And the other kids that were picked and the ones in the audience loved it too. All I heard from the kids around us was "how cool" and "that was awesome" etc etc.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Why should anything at Disneyland be just for kids?

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Oy, is there ANYTHING about Disneyland you like?

By that statement, why are there rides there that smaller kids cant go on? Why are there smaller rides that bigger people cant go on? There are things there for EVERYONE. Jedi Training Academy is just one of those things that happens to be for younger kids.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Dunno... I'm 20 and I loved it.
    I'd cheer on my kids if I had any. Tha't enjoying together, right?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

You're right. It shouldn't be. The main reason it was built in the first place was Walt Disney was bored while sitting on a bench in Griffith Park waiting for his daughters to get done riding on the carousel.

• Comin' at ya!

Well if you want to be picky, that Buzz show thing that Jedi replaced wasn't geared for adults I don't think. What's wrong with ONE of the many shows being geared for kids? There are lots of things that are geared for teens, and then there are things geared for kids. IMO Jedi can be enjoyed by anyone, but it's primarily for kids.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

The kids don't care about the story timeline, nor do they care if the voices are 100%, nor do they care about their jedi masters having a go at the sith lords.

What they care about is getting the chance to fight with the Darth Vader and the Darth Maul. I can tell you that if I were a youngling (I'm about 20 now) and this was going on at Disneyland...I would refuse to do anything else at the park until I was chosen and got my ten seconds of glory.

I think it's wonderful.

By the way...perfection is different for everyone.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast