Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Motion-Base Simulators Where Real Estate Is at a Premium

Whatever happened to the motion-base simulator as a ride system? It has a small footprint. And, the system is software-based, so it can be changed endlessly.

I always expected Disneyland would get more of these types of attractions since they don't consume much real estate.

• Disneyland is your land.

Re: Motion-Base Simulators Where Real Estate Is at a Premium

I believe after the technology became so cheap to manufacture these motion simulators starting popping up in malls across the world, WDI possibly felt that they would try and develop attractions that can't be seen anywhere else in the world.

It's why Disney is so special. There is only ONE Pirates of the Carribean or ONE Indy (ok I do realize they have them in other Disney parks, but thats no the point). And even though the rides are software based, Star Tours hasn't been updated since it opened back in the 80's. The ride has been showing the same video for twenty years. And I think Body Wars in Epcot has been a seasonal attraction for quite sometime.
    Class of 2005...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I think every park should have one... but just one. Many guests can get motion sickness and if we saturate the park with a bunch of motion simulators, that wouldn't fly too well.

Also, there aren't very many lands where a motion simulator could work. A Toon Town bus would work, and Tomorrowland has many possibilties, but that's about it.

Star Tours is great because it's the only type of ride that can offer that kind of fun. And that's how it should be. Lightning doesn't always strike twice and if their second attempt at a motion simulator isn't as good, guests will have to choose their battles and one will ultimately fail.

And just for the record, Body Wars was the worst motion simulator I've ever been on. (ok sorry, the worst was the McThriller at the Buena Park mcDonald's).

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Jambo!

The Motion Simulator attraction, which I will define as a pod like vehicle that sits in a single place while the "pod" moves while a movie is projected in front of it to create the illusion of travel. These style of rides have become very cheap to make and Disney may have stumbled in recent years in actual story, they do try to offer new technology.

That's not to say they haven't used Parts of the motion simulator. One good example of this is Soarin'. It's basically a motion simulator on an epic scale and Indy is pretty much based on the motion simulator design (with a stationary track with the "jeep" portion moves creating a sense of bumps and what not.

But it seems the traditional "motion simulator" is on the way out. Star Tours is a classic but many complain about updates. Body Wars is almsot lucky to be a seasonal attraction. I'll even talk about the removal of the Back to the Future rides at Universal. There are small and compact, but have been arounf for a long while now, so almost everyone can build one/

My point being, though they haven't added a traditional motion simulator, they have changed the design in many ways that have become the modern day E-tickets.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    And just for the record, Body Wars was the worst motion simulator I've ever been on. (ok sorry, the worst was the McThriller at the Buena Park mcDonald's).
    The what? Never heard of it. I think maybe I need to give Buena Park a sympathy visit every so often.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    The what? Never heard of it. I think maybe I need to give Buena Park a sympathy visit every so often.

Hehe, I don't know if it's still there but the Buena Park McDonald's next to Knott's Berry Farm had a motion simulator for like $5. But the combination of eating McDonald's and a motion simulator that only seats two is not the best idea.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I'm a firm believer that the ride system of an attraction is not terribly important. What does matter is the story and show.

With high-definition auto-stereoscopic display technologies, plus Disney's traditional animatronic puppets, there really isn't any limit to the story and show possibilities, especially when combined with elaborate walk-through expositions and resolutions.

Star Tours is a brilliant work of imagination. It is the original and is still the best attraction of its kind ever made. But, the fact that it is so well-conceived and so well-executed is the reason it remains the best. As long as any new attraction using the same system is as creative and entertaining, it will be successful, too.

While the motion-base simulator does have constraints in that it can't produce sustainable G-forces of more than 1 G and it can't produce much in the way of negative G-forces or weightlessness, not all stories and shows require those capabilities, and there are ways around even these limitations.

• Man O Lantern

I'm so sick of motion simulator rides. Seriously, they have been way over-played in the rest of the U.S. I don't want to go to a Disney park and ride one.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I'm a firm believer that the ride system of an attraction is not terribly important. What does matter is the story and show.
    I think you're greatly under estimating the power of the ride system. Would Peter Pan's Flight be as popular if it sat on its track like the other Fantasyland dark rides? What about Indiana Jones Adventure or the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror? The ride system is the means by which the story is told. Just as a story may better be told as a film than a play or book. A motion simulator attraction must take place in a similarly enclosed environment, which is not always best for the story.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I think you're greatly under estimating the power of the ride system. Would Peter Pan's Flight be as popular if it sat on its track like the other Fantasyland dark rides? What about Indiana Jones Adventure or the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror? The ride system is the means by which the story is told. Just as a story may better be told as a film than a play or book. A motion simulator attraction must take place in a similarly enclosed environment, which is not always best for the story.
    I think it depends very much on the story. Star Wars was perfect for this system because the films relied so much on optical effects to create the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    I'm so sick of motion simulator rides. Seriously, they have been way over-played in the rest of the U.S. I don't want to go to a Disney park and ride one.
    Well, thank you for your complaint. It's been duly noted.

• Animatronic

Compare Star Tours to Country Bears. Star Tours takes quite a bit more space per customer. It's basically a narrow focus film ride which looks exactly the same no matter where you sit, or where you look. While there is no doubt a modern motion simulator could knock your socks off (think Tower of Terror), they are not exactly the kings of space per customer or thruput and they aren't the most repeatable either.

Which is likely why all the mutterings that have been coming out of WDI and Lucasfilm each time (and boy there are a lot of times) are pointing to not just the front windshield, but "windows" in the doors surrounding the passenger compartment, with SED or LCD screens inside them showing just what's happening "outside."
    Combine that with rearranged speakers and you've got a lot more details to take in during each ride.
    Granted, it doesn't solve everything, but it is an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Whatever happened to the motion-base simulator as a ride system? It has a small footprint. And, the system is software-based, so it can be changed endlessly.

I always expected Disneyland would get more of these types of attractions since they don't consume much real estate.
    Great question Pragmatic! As someone previously stated "Soarin" in DCA is a advanced motion simulator, Indy I guess in a way could be called a 4d motion based simulator (simulating a jeep driving on a real path (very very cool) As for why we have not seen any sequels to the original episode of Star Tours I would say cost is a huge factor. Considering it really is a film you would be looking at a "Film Budget" which even if we are talking about 3 minutes of action packed visual FX ,sound and motion synchronization it would cost a enormous amount of money considering how much would need to go into those three minutes.
    I am sure it will happen at some point though.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Did anybody visit the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas? That was an example of a pretty poor motion-sim ride plussed up through the roof with an amazing preshow. By the time you were stuck on the crappy sim ride you were too hyped up from being "beamed up" and running around the enterprise to realise.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast