Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Haha, it's so funny how the 1998 new tomorrowland has turned it's back on Tomorrowland only after seven years and has just caused more problems then they could ever imagine. Let's see, closure of Submarines, ugly space rocks, rocket jets on floor, outdated HISTA attraction, non-working cosmic waves, non-working observation, terrible innoventions, terrible scheme painting, and an attraction that can only literally house the PeopleMover. Wow, the Disney people really screwed up here, they created a monster, they should have thought this one out a WHOLE lot more. Well, all i have to say, is that they better fix their mistake because Tomorrowland deserves better.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Where's my other cent?

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    Haha, it's so funny how the 1998 new tomorrowland has turned it's back on Tomorrowland only after seven years and has just caused more problems then they could ever imagine. Let's see, closure of Submarines, ugly space rocks, rocket jets on floor, outdated HISTA attraction, non-working cosmic waves, non-working observation, terrible innoventions, terrible scheme painting, and an attraction that can only literally house the PeopleMover. Wow, the Disney people really screwed up here, they created a monster, they should have thought this one out a WHOLE lot more. Well, all i have to say, is that they better fix their mistake because Tomorrowland deserves better.
    It's even funnier when you consider that TL '98 was supposed to eleminate the need to ever have to update TL. They got tired of spending the money to do it and thought that would take care of everything. OPPS!!

• Rock Star Minion

Here's an issue with the theme "Tomorrowland": In the past, "Tomorrow" had great possibilities; we'd be going places, and in exciting ways.
    Our Tomorrow: people are staying home more, on their couches, watching others go places on their TV.
    That doesn't seem to be an interesting theme to work with.

"Some other Planet Land" sounds pretty good , although the actual name needs to be a little more specific. Just call it "Mars." Already have Star Tours, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear. Now about those Subs...

• Where's my other cent?

Here's an issue with the theme "Tomorrowland": In the past, "Tomorrow" had great possibilities; we'd be going places, and in exciting ways.
    I've seen other people make this kind of statement, but I'd like to pose a different arguement. When DL opened, the country was in the heat of the Cold War (for that matter, most of DL life was spent in the Cold War). Folks were building bomb shelters in their backyards. The world was going to end in Nuclear Holocaust. That's not so promising. I'm not saying you're wrong sediment, I'm just wondering if TL of the past was so much more hopeful because DL and Walt Disney made it that was for us? Is this too much of a stretch? Or is it possible that DL still has the power to help us see the brighter side of tomorrow if they show it to us?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by zach1
    I've seen other people make this kind of statement, but I'd like to pose a different arguement. When DL opened, the country was in the heat of the Cold War (for that matter, most of DL life was spent in the Cold War). Folks were building bomb shelters in their backyards. The world was going to end in Nuclear Holocaust. That's not so promising. I'm not saying you're wrong sediment, I'm just wondering if TL of the past was so much more hopeful because DL and Walt Disney made it that way for us? Is this too much of a stretch? Or is it possible that DL still has the power to help us see the brighter side of tomorrow if they show it to us?
    I much prefer a positive, optimistic vision of the future to a negative, pessimistic one. Tomorrowland's spirit is that of limitless possibilities, moving forward, and as Walt said "the challenge and promise of the future". It's important to maintain that spirit in the land, always. Part of the appeal of many of the older attractions has more to do with a palpable sense of this spirit being imbued in them rather than all the usual horsetwaddle you read about what supposedly makes a good theme park ride. As long as they always keep their eye on the challenge and promise of the future and all that that entails, it's unlikely that they'll go wrong. It's when they try to second-guess everything and rely on marketing studies and whatnot that they fail miserably.

Personally I don't think they've gotten Tomorrowland right for many, many years. Thematically speaking it still has quite a ways to go and as Walt said, will never really be finished. Bringing back some old favorites, even with a new look, will at least put them back on the right road. Have you noticed how much BETTER Tomorrowland looks with Space Mountain painted white again? Marinate on that a minute.
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I've posted this photograph before, but I think it's appropriate to post it again...

THIS IS TOMORROWLAND!

Those despicable rock formations will not be missed. The 1998 changes to Tomorrowland were nothing short of vandalism. One phrase continues to roll around in my mind: "What were they thinking!?" A bright, inviting land full of movement, color and fun (gee, just the sort of thing you'd want to find in a first-class themed amusement park) became a dark, foreboding lump hidden behind fake rocks and painted brown. Cheerful and whimsical landscaping became a bland political statement. The best attractions were shuttered and left to mold. Imagineering was replaced with profiteering and the end result left a former jewel as nothing more than a passageway to somewhere else.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Where's my other cent?

Wow! I'm relatively new here, so I've never seen that picture before. That's beautiful. This picture reminds me of the Disneyland USA WDT DVD. The images of TL on that set looked amazing, and made me sad that I missed out.

Boy, I can't explain how excited that picture makes me. I think TDA's really headed in the right direction.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    THIS IS TOMORROWLAND!
    Absolutely gol-durn right! And while by the mid-90s the 1967 design was getting a bit long in the tooth, the direction they took was just sacrilegious. I still can't get over the fact that they actually took away the Skyway and PeopleMover. To me those are just unpardonable sins. Everything deserved updated design refurbs, not closings.
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by zach1
    Wow! I'm relatively new here, so I've never seen that picture before. That's beautiful. This picture reminds me of the Disneyland USA WDT DVD. The images of TL on that set looked amazing, and made me sad that I missed out.

Boy, I can't explain how excited that picture makes me. I think TDA's really headed in the right direction.
    Dear Mr. Ouimet,
    Please take special note of the above posting. Thank you for all you've done so far. Keep the faith and keep up the good work.
    Your friend,
    Tom
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."

• Greetings, Program!

I've posted this photograph before, but I think it's appropriate to post it again...

THIS IS TOMORROWLAND!

Those despicable rock formations will not be missed. The 1998 changes to Tomorrowland were nothing short of vandalism. One phrase continues to roll around in my mind: "What were they thinking!?" A bright, inviting land full of movement, color and fun (gee, just the sort of thing you'd want to find in a first-class themed amusement park) became a dark, foreboding lump hidden behind fake rocks and painted brown. Cheerful and whimsical landscaping became a bland political statement. The best attractions were shuttered and left to mold. Imagineering was replaced with profiteering and the end result left a former jewel as nothing more than a passageway to somewhere else.
    I remember that beautiful, vibrant land. Yes...out with the rocks. Bring me that horizon.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

It's like the Berlin wall comming down. I think they should hand out sledge hammers and let the Disney fans do the demolition of that ugly thing.

• Minion

Open. Inviting. Spacious. Roomy.

Notice how human traffic, even if increased exponentially, would flow briskly through the land.

Gee, I can either take an express elevator to the stars, take a relaxing trip around the land, or hop onto the next flight to Mars.....or, alternately, I could stuff my face with pizza and pasta and then roll a giant wet marble around on the ground. Hmm, decisions, decisions....

Remember when there was always STUFF TO DO in Tomorrowland?!?

THIS IS TOMORROWLAND!

No question about it, this IS the way Tomorrowland should look! It has such an inviting and fresh appearance! And once they put the Astro Orbitor (Rocket Jets) where they rightfully belong and have the People Mover moving again, this will certainly be a *world on the move* and a *land* worth going to over and over again!

The question is...what will replace those awful looking rocks??? Perhaps the floral planters from the past (like in the picture) or perhaps something new and exciting. How about a big floral garden with some beautiful water fountains in the middle of it. It would look wonderful at night, especially if these water fountains had colored lights added to it.

But no matter what, anything will be better than huge, brown rocks!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Just simply stunning, SilentBob. Thank you for the photos.

• Disney Freak

why'd they add the rocks in the first place? I love the old layout of Tomorrowland, except how they enterperted 1986 to be like...lol
    Alex

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." Walt Disney

My Flickr: Flickr.com/agoldman
    My Twitter: Twitter.com/al3xg
    My Facebook: Facebook.com/al3xg

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast