Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS01
    As time goes on and I hear about some of the decisions that are being made for DL..Im getting really excited for the future !!
    Here! Here!
    Just tally up the things we've seen and the news for the future we've heard:

1. A fading and deteriorating park has.. at no small expense... been refreshed and renewed.
    2. Space Mountain, which lay dead for years is being refurbished and enhanced.
    3. The Submarines, which lay dead even longer, are being refurbished and enhanced.
    4. Rocket Jets going back up!
    5. People Mover returning.
    6. Ugly rock formations due for removal.
    7. TL returning to the classic color scheme.
    8. JC refreshed and enhanced.
    9. Tiki refurbed and enhanced.
    10. POTC upgraded (only slightly, but that's better than nothing!)
    11. HM enhanced.
    12. Splash Mountain refurbed.
    13. Castle refurbed.
    14. Matterhorn refurbed and refreshed.
    15. A new steam engine is joining DLRR.
    16. New monorail trains are being built.
    ...and on and on. All this AND a huge 50th celebration event. Think of it, MiceChatters: These are things that we could only dream of just a few years ago. Now they've actually happened or will soon. How many times have we said, "Oh, if they would only ________________." and now we've seen it done!

For Disneyland fans, this is a very exciting time. And, in many ways, what is happening now is mostly "catch-up." Opening rides that had closed. Refurbing rides that had gotten worn. Repainting facades that had faded. Getting the park back to where it should have been all along. Once that has been accomplished, it will be even more exciting to see what happens next!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Rock Star Minion

I don't think the rock formation is as much in the way as the rocket jets are.

And, if it's not too much trouble, could I get before-and-after pictures of the Tomorrowland entrance? (Or maybe just "after" pictures, since the before ones are already here.)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Here are a couple of links to pics showing what you want. You can also do a Google image search for the term "Tomorrowland" and find a lot more.

TL 1998
    http://lostworld.pair.com/disneyland...ance-aug98.jpg

TL 1960's
    http://www.disneylandpostcards.com/tlentry3.jpg
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."

• Rock Star Minion

Thank you. I think these show that the rock formation and the rocket jets are both nearly equally to blame for "closing off" TL from the hub.

• Minion

For those who may have missed it, a year ago I did a photo essay slide show for SaveDisney.com exactly matching classic Tomorrowland shots to the (then) current day catastrope. If you like to see the vivid differences, you'll get a shock out of this...

http://www.savedisney.com/news/disne...ss061104.1.asp

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    For those who may have missed it, a year ago I did a photo essay slide show for SaveDisney.com exactly matching classic Tomorrowland shots to the (then) current day catastrope. If you like to see the vivid differences, you'll get a shock out of this...

http://www.savedisney.com/news/disne...ss061104.1.asp
    It's a really great feature. I was going to link to it in my last post but couldn't get the photos to change. Apparently it's an issue only with my Firefox Browser. Trying it just now in Explorer, it works fine.

Yes. To anyone wanting to compare the old and new, Merlin's essay is a must.

• insufferable know-it-all

Awww... Merlin! That makes me so sad!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Merlin...
    I just went back and went through your entire presentation. One thing struck me hard during the transistions from photos of the TL of yesterday and the TL of today.... things disappear.... vanish. Perhaps you'll be able to update in a year or two and be able to show things reappear.

• Minion

Yeah I'd love to a Then and Then and Now update once things have truly changed/settled. It's great that there is so much hopeful restoration news these days...

• Animatronic

"No Space Mist for you!" I couldn't agree more. I have no idea why they have those ugly generic carts when they could have a nicely themed store!

Disneyland Tomorrowland: "A World On The Move"...again?

First time posting...here it goes!

Here's how I look at the whole "Tomorrowland" issue...when Disneyland chose to rehab tomorrowland, I can TOTALLY see why they would want to go the route they did. As a matter of fact, when I visited in 2000, I was AMAZED with how cool it looked. I did have a little heartburn, seeing as it was my frist visit to Disneyland, and I so longed to see the Tomorrowland Terrace Stage the way it looked on the old Disneyland television show with the Osmond Brothers...but I thought it was a cool redo at the time. Rocket Rods was cool, although a little too much like Test Track on the Peoplemover track. The Observatron was a cool idea, but would have made more sense if they would have installed the lighting package they originally planned, and the repaint of Space Mountain just looked great when it was fresh.

I know they were going for the "Tomorrow of the Past" kinda theme, like Walt Disney World has done, but think about it...the "World on the Move" Tomorrowland IS the "Tomorrow of the Past". If they would have simply stripped everything of all it's paint and repainted the whole thing to look like 1967 (All white, shiny and new) that would have been PERFECT! They wouldn't have had to change a thing! Tokyo Disneyland has survived with the same look since it opened in the early 1980's...and people still enjoy the stylistic (and retro) theme of the land.

Seeing the photos of Tomorrowland going back to a "lighter" color has made me happy. The 1998 refurbishment was cool when it was new...but as time went on and we saw how difficult it was to keep it up, I think you can all agree that it is nice to sort of go back to a look that is similar to the 1967 version. If it were up to me, I would put it all back the way it was style-wise in 1967 (but would leave Buzz Lightyear's AstroBlasters, HISTA Theater, and Star Tours in their places). I would even uncover the Mary Blair murals!!!

Okay...just my two cents worth. Even if they don't bring back the Peoplemover, I enjoy watching the trains travel across my website (www.tikitackett.com) while I listen to old Peoplemover audio!!!

Thanks for reading...I promise that my future postings will not be as long!

•   
    • Minion

Now if only they would think about bringing back the Skyway...
    Check out my other blog:

• U. B. Bold

Just read through this entire thread and all I can say is: Yeah! Get rid of those fugly rocks they don't fit and they're in the way. Put the Rocket-Jets (Rock-It Jets?) back up where they belong and return the beautiful, open entryway to the Land of Tomorrow.

BTW, on the dancinfg fountain idea... I recall that there used to be fountains on either side of the entrance to TL with water cascading down from futuristic looking sculptures. Later, those sculptures and the small pools that they occupied were filled with dirt and turned in to planters. Why not put the dancing waters there on both sides of the entrance? They could even do something really cool like project the name "Tomorrowland" in 3-D onto the mist ala Fantasmic. I would love to see something like that.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Tikitackett
    Thanks for reading...I promise that my future postings will not be as long!
    Thanks for a well-thought-out posting. I agree with pretty much everything you've stated. BTW... unfortunately, the Mary Blair murals will probably never come back. Though one still exists underneath the current mural on Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters, it is apparently damaged. The other one on Star Tours was essentially destroyed during the conversion from ATIS.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder
    Put the Rocket-Jets (Rock-It Jets?) back up where they belong and return the beautiful, open entryway to the Land of Tomorrow.
    Why is it that something so very obvious took me so long to see.
    We know we'll have Rockit Mtn. We're pretty sure Tomorrowland is returning visually to the 1967 look and configuration. That would make it a pretty cool retro-60s land. How fun would it be, then, to turn the whole place into "Rockin' Tomorrowland" at night. Talk about making it come alive...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast