Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

those rocks were such a waste of space, I'm glad they're going

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Re: Bye Bye jagged rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    I've posted this photograph before, but I think it's appropriate to post it again...

THIS IS TOMORROWLAND!

Those despicable rock formations will not be missed. The 1998 changes to Tomorrowland were nothing short of vandalism. One phrase continues to roll around in my mind: "What were they thinking!?" A bright, inviting land full of movement, color and fun (gee, just the sort of thing you'd want to find in a first-class themed amusement park) became a dark, foreboding lump hidden behind fake rocks and painted brown. Cheerful and whimsical landscaping became a bland political statement. The best attractions were shuttered and left to mold. Imagineering was replaced with profiteering and the end result left a former jewel as nothing more than a passageway to somewhere else.
    Yah mean was Tommarowland

• no flash photography...

looking at that picture makes me really happy the ground is not longer just painted cement. I kow it still is in some areas and i don't notice when I'm there, but it looks really tacky and cheap. I like the wide walk way in, but the flowers on the right side look dried up, dead and there's bare patches... How undisney...OMG and there's NO shade. imagine that. Designing a land without shade.

• Banned User

You would never know how big that area in front of Tomorrowland acutally is with that Astro Orbiter in the way would you? I can't get over how good that looks.

• DisneylandDan

Jeez that brings back some memories, I cant wait till those rocks are gone. I miss the old entrance.

Im bored, lets go to Disneyland.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    looking at that picture makes me really happy the ground is not longer just painted cement. I kow it still is in some areas and i don't notice when I'm there, but it looks really tacky and cheap. I like the wide walk way in, but the flowers on the right side look dried up, dead and there's bare patches... How undisney...OMG and there's NO shade. imagine that. Designing a land without shade.
    Thank you for this post.

I dont know if you intended it to come off the way I interpreted it, but to me, it shows how indecisive and picky we Disney fans really are. Wait- maybe it isnt even being picky - just pessimistic. We're always trying to find things wrong with the parks, and although I agree current Disneyland has issues, and the rocks in Tomorrrowland are unappealing, but that photo of Tomorrowland Past is not ideal by any means.

I don't believe that living in the past is a good idea, and I think that the work that has been done on Tomorrowland Today (paint, Astro Blasters, new murals), the work that is currently being done (Submarine Voyage, Monorail refurb next year) and the work rumored to take place in the near future (rock removal, PeopleMover return, etc), is all very good and huge imporovements.

I'm not saying that criticism is bad, but looking in the past to what used to be isnt really going to help. The use of that photo has become trite and pointless now..

To be blunt... give it a rest.

Sorry if I made anybody mad! I'm going to go hide in a cave now so I'm not pelted with turkey legs!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Um... I think I sensed a bit of sarcasm in SCUBAbe's post... see that winking smiley icon?
    "To all who come to this happy place, welcome!"

Visit The Disneyland Report - Disney News and Secrets and Mickeypedia!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    Thank you for this post.

I dont know if you intended it to come off the way I interpreted it, but to me, it shows how indecisive and picky we Disney fans really are. Wait- maybe it isnt even being picky - just pessimistic. We're always trying to find things wrong with the parks, and although I agree current Disneyland has issues, and the rocks in Tomorrrowland are unappealing, but that photo of Tomorrowland Past is not ideal by any means.

I don't believe that living in the past is a good idea, and I think that the work that has been done on Tomorrowland Today (paint, Astro Blasters, new murals), the work that is currently being done (Submarine Voyage, Monorail refurb next year) and the work rumored to take place in the near future (rock removal, PeopleMover return, etc), is all very good and huge imporovements.

I'm not saying that criticism is bad, but looking in the past to what used to be isnt really going to help. The use of that photo has become trite and pointless now..

To be blunt... give it a rest.

Sorry if I made anybody mad! I'm going to go hide in a cave now so I'm not pelted with turkey legs!
    Let me be the first to throw a turkey leg 1 in each hand.
    The point is not to copy but to guide them to a feel in a land we are looking for.

• OM NOM NOM

That is a wonderful picture. However, I wish someone would have taken one on the other side of the Hub, so we could see that entire side of our beloved "wagon wheel" central plaza.
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

• Minion

It's funny, because when I look at that old TL entrance I think "Meh". I never really got to see TL before the 98 redo, so that's all I know, but that picture looks WAY too retro. Obviously it's an old picture, so it will of course seem dated, but I would much rather they keep what they have now rather than go back to something that old. I like th openness of the old photo a lot, and I would love to see that come to the TL entrance today, but that TL entrance just doesn't seem that good to me. My personal theory is that some of these calls for the past are mostly nostalgic- people often remember only the good. If that's the TL you grew up with, you might feel more attached to it for that reason. Sorry if I made anybody mad, but it's just my opinion.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    Let me be the first to throw a turkey leg 1 in each hand.
    The point is not to copy but to guide them to a feel in a land we are looking for.
    Yeah, I agree with you - guidance for what we want/need is good... I think Tomorrowland still needs work and the current entrance, empty PeopleMover track, etc, are all sad and need to be fixed but I don't think the repeated use of a photo from the past is going to help anything. Tomorrowland needs a completely new direction and I think that although the Tomorrowland shown in that photo is nice, its nowhere what we should have now condsidering what the (now laid-off) Imagineers are capable of.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by mrtommorrow
    Um... I think I sensed a bit of sarcasm in SCUBAbe's post... see that winking smiley icon?
    yes, that's it...I love sarcasm...and use it often...lol

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456