7 15.22%
  • Under 30 and enjoy it

18 39.13%
  • Under 30 and dont like it

13 28.26%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Premium Youngling and

What is so bad about Rockin'?

I hear responses from everyone that has gone on Rockin Space is complaining about it. I dont see what is so bad! Disney did exactly what they said they were going to (new soundtrack and new lighting effects). Sure it could be a bit better but its not a bad start! Maybe it has something to do with the age group experiencing it. Please take part in the poll I have posted so I can see if there is some type of pattern.

• n/a

Re: What is so bad about Rockin'?

I was just disappointed by the use of the concert lighting. So many cooler things could had enhanced the ride. Why not some concert haze, that would have helped hide the track and fancied the lights up a lil more.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• rockin butter sponge!

Havent been on Space Mountain, but California Screamin reminded me of being in a car with a friend with the radio up. I loved it!

• Premium Youngling and

Quote Originally Posted by demento57 View Post
    I was just disappointed by the use of the concert lighting. So many cooler things could had enhanced the ride. Why not some concert haze, that would have helped hide the track and fancied the lights up a lil more.
    We were actually talking about this at the last meet. With the ventilation, AC, and fans, the haze would only be seen just as it would be coming out of the machine. It would be a cool effect but it wouldn't work. The shnazzy green lasers they use during R...DCT would be a nice touch as well

• Princess Mouse Ears

Rockin' Space Mountain fondly reminded me of my teenage days hanging out at the roller rink
    So many mouse ears, so little time...

• n/a

Quote Originally Posted by AbominableSnowman1 View Post
    We were actually talking about this at the last meet. With the ventilation, AC, and fans, the haze would only be seen just as it would be coming out of the machine. It would be a cool effect but it wouldn't work. The shnazzy green lasers they use during R...DCT would be a nice touch as well
    I'd be interested to see what the ventilation looks like inside. Putting portable fans would spread the haze just fine, the effect would be easy to hide. My only thought is that because the fluid is made of mineral oil that it would direct stuff up. When it mixes w/ the dust it creates a nasty goo.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by AbominableSnowman1 View Post
    Disney did exactly what they said they were going to (new soundtrack and new lighting effects).
    Yes and no.

From the December 28 Press Release:
    Rockin’ Space Mountain fans will find the attraction sporting new technology that features illuminated dancing rock fans, more than 200 lights brightening the track and a brand-new, customized soundtrack by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

From the October 4 Press Release:
    Rockin' Both Parks – Space Mountain at Disneyland park and California Screamin’ at Disney’s California Adventure park are getting new twists. For a limited time, beginning January 3, 2007, exciting new soundtracks and technology will temporarily transform each attraction into unique rock ‘n’ roll experiences with music that will be custom choreographed to heighten the experience of every twist, turn and drop. Rockin’ Space Mountain will be a new experience in which rockets will launch guests through an out-of-this-world rock adventure thanks to the latest and greatest rock ‘n’ roll lighting and technology. Along with new technology and lighting, all systems are go. Riders of California Screamin’ at Disney’s California Adventure park will also be treated – and bopping – to a new groovin’ soundtrack. On-board rock ‘n’ roll music will be choreographed to every twist, turn and drop. With a ride track-turned-soundtrack, this is one experience guaranteed to rock guests visiting the Paradise Pier section of the park. The rock ‘n’ roll adventure will last until April 2007. (January-April 2007)

...What new technology?

I'd really love for Disney to release some specs on what new technology/new state-of-the-art concert lighting they're using.

Because really, there's nothing new. I've been to some recent concerts including No Doubt, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Gwen Stefani, Taking Back Sunday, Brand New/Dashboard Confessional, Rob Thomas, etc. I've seen televised concerts and awards shows.

I've seen "new and exciting" concert lighting "technology".

I've seen impressive lighting.

Rockin' Space Mountain hardly offers anything impressive or anything that appears to be "new" or cutting edge in concert lighting. ...Not to say I'm an expert or anything, but from what I've seen, its really nothing special.

Projections of dancing "rock fans" is just swapping out some programming on the projection systems they already have installed showing flying meteorites and asteroids during normal Space Mountain. Projections of spinning "targets" on the wall near the end of the attraction is hardly "exciting." And flashing LEDs aren't too great either.

Disney cheaped out on it, plain and simple. That's why its been getting the negative criticism from the online fan communities.
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 01-10-2007 at 10:40 PM.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Double post... sorry.
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 01-10-2007 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Double post...

• n/a

Hell, the rock feel would have worked if they just put colored gels over the existing stars and added couple strobes. That'd be a tad bit more "rawk"

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I just turned 30 and loved it thorougly.

You know what I find funny though. I just saw on tv an advertisement for the NEW RHCP album coming out....

Think there is any connection? Just wondering....

I loved Rockin' Space Mountain. Yes, it was done on the cheap but they did a good job anyways. I just wish they had left the stars on as well, or just gone with their original plans. (The plans for the orignal Rockit Mountain) Also, who knew flashing LEDs could make a ride so much more exciting?

Now, if they want to "WOW!!" people, they are going to have to spice up the normal show. In my opinion regular Space Mountain seems so boring compared to the Rockin' version. They could start by turning on that asteroid that has been sitting in the dark for a year and a half.

• e komo mai

I don't think it has anything to do with age. I'm a fan of the RHCP. I go to concerts. I'm just not a fan of this half-baked effort.

• Disneyland is your land.

Disney did take the cheap way out. As I mentioned in a previous thread I would say Disney couldn't justify spending more money on something that is only around for 5 months. Not that I agree with that, but I would bet thats what happened--with a really cool concept of what Rockin' could've been sitting on an Imagineer's desk.

As for innovative lighting. You could actually consider LED's lights being innovative, they aren't being utilized as much as everyone thinks. But the real innovation in concert lighting today is Video and Intelligent Lighting.

As for illumination in general, there have been no big innovations in the industry since the introduction of digital intelligent lights and more sophisticated control boards. Everything else has just been an evolution of the same thing, just run more efficently. (sorry to get off topic, I am really into Stage Lighting!!!).

But yeah I saw a video of the ride and honestly it looked kind of cool. Of course the original is always going to be King, but it really intrigued me. And come on, how many of us have been praying we get to e-stop on Space. Well now you get to see the track with out the breakdown!!!!
    Class of 2005...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by demento57 View Post
    I have to say that some fog would probably make it a bit cooler. I haven't been on it yet, but I've seen the videos ... and I can't wait!

I'm under 30, and I took my friend to Disneyland who is a record producer and who did work on the most recent Dave Navarro album.

Both of us think Rockin' Space Mountain is lame. It's not creative at all.

This cheesy marketing gimmick is bad for both the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Disneyland. And, my reasoning, which I explained in the main thread, is that being able to see the tracks changes Space Mountain from a rocket ship in space into a roller coaster in a warehouse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast