Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dick Tracy

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Dick Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I'd be in favor of Disney re-editing that film to make it work better and re-releasing it in some way. It has the potential to garner an audience, but the film is virtually unwatchable in its current state.

Well the thing about musicals is that they're always being redone after so many decades. I trust that Newsies will be brought out again in the future as a "new" product.

But back to Dick Tracy, I think Warren Beaty still co-owns the rights to the property doesn't he? Or does it belong to someone else now?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Well the thing about musicals is that they're always being redone after so many decades. I trust that Newsies will be brought out again in the future as a "new" product.
    "Newsies" was a musical that failed commercially in its initial release, though. But, like "Dick Tracy", I would love for some of that music to make its way into Disneyland, itself.

"Rooftop" is one of my favorite pieces of music of all time, and, often, when I am in Town Square and the train is about to arrive, I think of Alan Menken's "Santa Fe" themes. They're so wistful and romantic.

Disneyland had newspaper boys on Main Street, U.S.A. at one time. They were selling The Disneyland News to guests. I'd love to see them "carrying the banner" on Main Street again. The publication might even be able to replace the event schedules the entertainment department gives guests.

• Directly directed

I loooove Newsies. But Dick Tracy always creeped me out. So if they added anything Dick Tracy I'd avoid it like I avoid the Sun Wheel.

• Infinitized!

How about something based on The Rocketeer?

In the original plans for the second gate park, before it was called California Adventure, there was supposed to be a Dick Tracy attraction as well as The Little Mermaid ride, but then we ended up getting DCA.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    How about something based on The Rocketeer?

We talked about that in more detail in this thread: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...t=37828&page=7

We all would love a Rocketeer attraction. (and those of you who haven't seen it, DO IT!)

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

I think Dick Tracy is still a viable property. Anyone saying it's a little too old might want to think about how old it was when Disney decided to make a movie out if it. This character was created in the early '30s and hadn't seen any kind of revival in that time when the Warren Beaty movie came out.

And, honestly, properties to make rides out of don't have to be new, and they don't necessarily have to be classic. That's modern day Disney that subscribes to that philosophy. Walt's old attractions were based on a completely different concept: Something interesting.

In addition, Tracy is still a classic pop-cultural icon. His memorabilia goes for small fortunes in some circles and the early '90s movie simply brought the old concepts and colors that the comic had that the old movies couldn't capitalize on to life. Everything about the property has potential to be reworked into something entertaining. The colors, the over-the-top chracters and the trademark lifestyle of the '30s gansters and g-men. The last thing I would have thought of making it into was a musical act, but looks like they pulled one off anyway.

The potential for a ride is just as great or greater. A '30s model A or T riding you through the "mean streets" of Tracy's home city. We already get a brief sample of what that could be like from the Great Movie Ride.

I'd say it could be a great attraction, provided they don't let "political correctness" or the delicate sensibilities on non-Imagineers interfere with the creative process much like the did with Pirates of the Caribbean. Gangsters need Tommy Guns and they need to shoot them. It's what they do.

Id love to see something based on Dick Tracey or the Rocketeer. Dick Tracey for Hollywood section and Rocketeer for a newly relocated Condor Flats.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Jedi View Post
    I think Dick Tracy is still a viable property. Anyone saying it's a little too old might want to think about how old it was when Disney decided to make a movie out if it. This character was created in the early '30s and hadn't seen any kind of revival in that time when the Warren Beaty movie came out.

And, honestly, properties to make rides out of don't have to be new, and they don't necessarily have to be classic. That's modern day Disney that subscribes to that philosophy. Walt's old attractions were based on a completely different concept: Something interesting.

In addition, Tracy is still a classic pop-cultural icon. His memorabilia goes for small fortunes in some circles and the early '90s movie simply brought the old concepts and colors that the comic had that the old movies couldn't capitalize on to life. Everything about the property has potential to be reworked into something entertaining. The colors, the over-the-top chracters and the trademark lifestyle of the '30s gansters and g-men. The last thing I would have thought of making it into was a musical act, but looks like they pulled one off anyway.

The potential for a ride is just as great or greater. A '30s model A or T riding you through the "mean streets" of Tracy's home city. We already get a brief sample of what that could be like from the Great Movie Ride.

I'd say it could be a great attraction, provided they don't let "political correctness" or the delicate sensibilities on non-Imagineers interfere with the creative process much like the did with Pirates of the Caribbean. Gangsters need Tommy Guns and they need to shoot them. It's what they do.

Right on.

And I think a lot of people forget that Disneyland opened in 1955 yet Snow White was released in 1939. I know I know... things lasted longer back then, but that's beside the point. Dick Tracy is a fantastic property and can be a lot of fun.

If I ever meet Warren Beatty face to face, I'm going to ask him about just that.

• Boat shoes all day long

Dick Tracy was in the old Videopolis show back in the late 80's early 90's. It was real good, but it doesn't go much further. An attraction of themed area would be a flop. Better at Universal.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• ...TWO BITS!

^ um...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

I remember when I visited the set of Disney's Dick Tracy being filmed at...

Universal Studios.

HA HA HA HA HA HE HE HE HE HE HE HE

He said "Dick".

HA HA HA HA HA HE HE HE HE HE HE HE

Blog Entries

I too remember seeing Dick Tracy being filmed at Universal. I remember all the old cars. I also remember the characters at the park. My mom took pictures of us with them because my brother and I loved that movie. When I get home this afternoon I will look for one to post.

I don't really remember the actual soundtrack, but Madonna's album of music inspired by Dick Tracy is one of my faves. The songs are so odd but fun at the same time. Someone mentioned the song "What Can You Lose" and I wanted to comment that I just listened to that on my iPod last night!

Quote Originally Posted by BoygunaSurf View Post
    Dick Tracy was in the old Videopolis show back in the late 80's early 90's. It was real good, but it doesn't go much further. An attraction of themed area would be a flop. Better at Universal.
    Why would it be a flop? I think an indy-style attraction where you board a roadster and ride through the mean streets of Chicago with Tracey could be incredibly popular. To me this seems more up Disney's alley than Universal seeing as it will relly on actual story telling and not thrills alone.

Also, yes, Dick Tracey was filmed at Universal. But a few years ago I also got to see them filming Pirates of the Carribean. So, a movie being filmed at another studio doesn't mean anything. It is quite common for studios to borrow from eachother's backlots seeing that nowadays most studios can't keep some of every set laying around in case of a movie needing it. They each keep a selection and borrow and trade as they need.

• official corn dog taster

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I'd like the Danny Elfman score in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area.
    agreed
    OLM!!!
    There is no better park than TDS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast