Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1st trip question - Crowds during Gay Days?

My family and I are planning our first trip to Disneyland during my sons Fall break from school next year. I noticed that this will be during the Gay Days event and also Columbus day weekend. Can anyone clue me into how crowded this weekend usually is? I've seen estimates from 25,000 to 30,000 but I'm not sure how crowded that is for Disneyland. Thanks for the help!

• Loves Fajita!

Re: 1st trip question - Crowds during Gay Days?

Well I went the weekend before gay days in 2006 and Thursday and Friday up till Friday evening the rides were walk on EVERYTHING. We got SO much done by Friday night. Plus that weekend was also the start of Halloween Time and the week HMH opened up ~ very clear before the weekend! Saturday was busy, so we went to DCA. I would imagine a similar scenario the week after...... wish I would have been there for gay days though, might have been a fun weekend to go!

• Loves Fajita!

Oh and I for got to mention, its DISNEYLAND! Your family will have an amazing time! I cant wait to go back! Sept 27-30th!!!!

• xmanmom

We were there the Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday of Gay Days in 2005. It wasn't very crowded at all that week. Can't speak to Saturday and Sunday as we were already headed home by then.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I was there Sat. and Sun of Gay Days in 06. They were also doing the CHOC walk that Sunday, and the crowds were second only to Veterans Day weekend. In other words... wall to wall mass sea of humanity. I don't know if CHOC walk is scheduled for the same weekend this year, but it so you can expect massive almost record breaking crowds.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• I'll pencil this in later

what exactly is a ' Gay Day ' at DL?

• Sock Puppet

Okay, something you need to know about the saturday Gay Days. They are very crowded and worse yet alot of people are mean that day. Not the gay people at all, but all of the people who don't know it's gay day. They are mad that A) The park is incredibly crowded and B) There are just some people who haven't learned tolerance for homosexuality and they take it out on everyone around them. The same thing happens on Bats Day as well.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by THE BOB View Post
    They are mad that A) The park is incredibly crowded and B) There are just some people who haven't learned tolerance for homosexuality and they take it out on everyone around them. The same thing happens on Bats Day as well.
    Ahh yes, the wonderful 'It's your fault that I didn't check the day I wanted to go to Disneyland was full of (insert sterotype here)." I'm sure City Hall loves it.
    -Monorail Man

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    Ahh yes, the wonderful 'It's your fault that I didn't check the day I wanted to go to Disneyland was full of (insert sterotype here)." I'm sure City Hall loves it.
    Well, in all honesty, Disneyland does not have it posted for their schedule of events because it is not sponsored by the park and therefore not an official Disney sanctioned event. Most families won't look anywhere else either. I just don't like the fact, that people can't accept that there are people who are different. And it's very funny that these families go to City Hall to complain, because odds are the person they are complaining to is gay as well (not to say that everyone who works City Hall is gay, it's just Disney is known for having a lot of gay people.)

• Haunted Mansion Lover

We wen't last year and it was crowded. Not unbearable but crowded. The fact that it is on Columbus day weekend will make it very crowded as well.

I agree that the rudest people we saw that weekend were homophobic. We had a great time talking to the gay supporters that we stood in line with! I would go again if it wasn't on a holiday weekend.
    Foolish Mortal

• Drunk On Disney

I have been to DL and WDW during Gay Days and both times I didn't know such an event was going on until I read it online later. The crowds didn't seem to be any busier than the weeks leading up to those events.

I also didn't find more "mean people" than I did on any other day. Perhaps it's because I don't hang out at City Hall just to find out if people I disagree with are complaining about things... so I could complain about them.

I guess I was too busy having fun to care.

• 1375 miles away

We went during the event several years ago. We did not notice it being any busier than a typical weekend.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report November 2010
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...post1056434199
    Our First Trip to WDW December 2009
    http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...16-2009-a.html
    November 2008 trip report! Updated 1/13/09!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...23-2008-a.html

>>I just don't like the fact, that people can't accept that there are people who are different. And it's very funny that these families go to City Hall to complain, because odds are the person they are complaining to is gay as well (not to say that everyone who works City Hall is gay, it's just Disney is known for having a lot of gay people.)<<

How would anyone know that someone was gay anyway. Unless they are being overtly sexual at the park, which is not appropriate gay or straight. I guess they could be wearing a shirt that says they are gay but that would be like me wearing a shirt that said I was straight, pretty pointless.

I consider every day "Gay Day". Gays are welcome 365 at Disney, so I don't people consider a big deal.

If they do complain at City Hall, they should be kicked out for being a bigot.

• Man O Lantern

I didn't think it was more crowded on Gay Days than any other weekend that I've been there in October in the past five years.

October is a great time to go to Disneyland! I hope you do it!

• Space Mountain Fanboy

The only bad experience I had during Gay Days this year was that this lady wrote on the back of her shirt "G-d Says Marriage blah blah blah typical bigoted crap blah blah blah". It went beyond intolerance. It was just rude. I almost said something to her but then I would've been kicked out of the park. I've seen her in the park since then too. But she only wore that shirt when all the gay people could see her.

I weep for humanity.

It was crowded, but CHOC Walk was going on the same day.

And don't wear red. I think that's the color of choice for participants of gay days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast