Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to do with Hollywood Pictures Backlot (or at least what I would do)

I posted these ideas a while back and have tweaked them a little. But I'm creating this new thread because I figured out a way (sorta) to show how I am going to lay out the rides I want to add to HPB. I have tried to show my ideas for building layout in this picture:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...eID=1717921068

my appologies for it having to be a link, i dont know how to post actual pics on here

Here's a brief list of what the rides will be, I'll post each of their descriptions individually, cuz otherwise this post will be ridiculously long. You can go to each separate post to read more about the rides if you want.

Red-Great Muppet Movie Ride

Dark Blue-Walt Disney Story dark ride

Yellow- Current Monsters Inc. ride

Green- Crush's Turtle Twister

Light Blue- Mary Poppins dark ride

Purple- new path/courtyard leading to some of the rides
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Re: What to do with Hollywood Pictures Backlot (or at least what I would do)

First a little background on where I'm coming from and my vision for the land:
    I would rename the land "Walt Disney Hollywood Studios."

I think that HPB could easily make the transition into Walt's hollywood, what with things such as the Animation building and the small details such as the store names and things written in windows that pay homage to some of the older Hollywood pictures from Walt's era, already in place. With some small changes to the architecture to resemble that seen in ToT, the park could easily have that pleasant 1920s feel that people wish Hollywood would return to.

As for the attractions, we already have 2 vacant buildings, and I am going to assume that the Timon parking lot will be the site of future expansion for the park, and therefore the tram load/unload area near the esplanade (ie the area directly behind HPB) can also then be expanded into for both expansion of the millionaire and hollywood/dine buildings, as well as the construction of new buildings.

RED

The red outline would be a Great Muppet Movie Ride, placed in both the millionaire building and the muppets 3D building, as well as expanding this combined building back towards the tram load/unload station, thus making the ride fairly sizeable (at least 4-5 times bigger than the building that houses Monsters Inc.), allowing for many scenes, a large capacity, and hopefully a highly immersive and enjoyable experience.

DARK BLUE

Dark Blue would be an expanded Hollywood and Dine builidng. This would make the building very long, but still capable of housing a ride 2-3 times the size of Monsters (at least). For this ride, I would create a ride out of the Walt Disney story show that has moved around various parks. I would name this attraction "Walt Disney's California Adventure." I would begin a preshow that fills a large theater (almost the size of the current Hollywood/Dine building), where guests enter in large groups (kinda like what HM does, load lots of people into an area in order to give the guests a backstory to the attraction, as well as give those guests ahead of them a chance to enter their vehicles, so that there isn't a large build-up of people in the load area). In this theater, guests face a stage, only to have the curtains rize to face a life-like, Lincoln-esque AA of Walt himself. Walt gives a warm welcome, a back-story to his life, his childhood, family, growing up, and the reasons he decided to come to California, and then decides that it would be easier to show us the rest of his story, instead of just tell us, and points us to a set of doors which open to lead guests down a corridor to the loading area. The vehicles would be vintage cars, the likes of which would have been "modern" when Walt first arrived here. Guests would then be taken on a tour of the rest of Walt's time in CA, from his animation studios, to his dreams for DL, to various Worlds fairs, to imagineering, and so on. It would hopefully be an inspirational ride, showing us that anything is possible if we dream and work hard enough.

PURPLE:

Between the Walt Disney ride and the Monsters Inc. ride, I would add a narrow alley that would lead to two more dark rides (in case you cannot tell, I can see a lot of potential for the section of the park to become the DCA equivalent to Fantasyland: incredibly family-oriented with numerous dark rides grouped together, as well as a large E-ticket attraction off to the side). Along the alleyway, I would add a couple of elaborately themed character meet-and-greets slash photo ops ala the new Monsters Inc photo op over at WDS in Paris. These are areas that do not take up much space (making them perfect for this alleyway I am suggesting), allow for guaranteed access to characters, can be interactive (kids screaming into the monsters scream tubes, etc), and perhaps most importantly, can be replaced with relative ease (and little cost) with whatever movies/characters are "in" at the moment.

The northern-most purple region would be a large courtyard, still themed to 1920s hollywood, perhaps with a large, ornate fountain in the center.

GREEN

I would make this new building a clone of the Crush/Turtle Twister ride being built at WDS in Paris (assuming this ride turns out to be what we are all expecting and not be a massive let down).

LIGHT BLUE

Since I am retheming this area to center around Walt Disney, his life, and his career, I think that a Mary Poppins (Walt's classic masterpiece, and what I feel is the greatest movie he ever made) dark ride could be incredibly appropriate here as well. Perhaps through in an outdoor scene (ala Alice in Wonderland in DL), where we are passing over the rooftops of London.

• Comin' at ya!

Looks interesting, but sadly, I'm too lazy/tired to read it all
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

lol its ok, i was too tired to describe most of the ideas in any great amount of detail, just check out the pic (if you can/want to) and lemme know if you think i have planned out enough space for 4 new rides in the area. i know it gets cut off at the top of the pic, but if i could figure out how to get a bigger pic, i wouldve shown the exact size of Mary Poppins and Crush rides, as well as the walk way/taxi parking i had reserved going between the two parks into the esplanade

• ...TWO BITS!

I didn't read everything.

So your expanding PAST the Timon stop and into the bus/taxi, etc stops? Why? I would think DLR would want to keep that, at least retheme it.

EDIT: One thing that bugs me is the new dead end. The current "frontlot" courtyard area is fine for me now because it's basically a "U" shape. But you're extending that "u" into a dead end... do you recall Critter Country?

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    I didn't read everything.

So your expanding PAST the Timon stop and into the bus/taxi, etc stops? Why? I would think DLR would want to keep that, at least retheme it.

EDIT: One thing that bugs me is the new dead end. The current "frontlot" courtyard area is fine for me now because it's basically a "U" shape. But you're extending that "u" into a dead end... do you recall Critter Country?

im pretty sure DLR wants to keep the bus/taxi stops too. you cant see it, but i did leave some room for taxis, i just cant find a way to make the pic big enough to show it all. i moved the bus stops to the pinoccio lot (at least i think thats the one, whatever they call the open ground level lot next to mickey and friends)

good point with the dead end, i saw it, acknowledged it, but didnt really think about it and about what problems it might cause. it could, however, be easily rectified by adding a walk-way between monsters and the building i drew that will house GMMR. i'll just shave off a bit of the millionaire building and see if i can make it a big enough path. thanks for pointin that out

As cool as the Crush coaster looks, if we are dreaming about a fantasy, why can't we dream of original ideas? And I think I would rather watch a trimmed version of the Mary Poppins show in the Hyperion instead of seeing an entire ride randomly based around it.

What that area really needs is a ride based on LA/Hollywood. You can shove various movie rides there, but it won't help the theme. There needs to be some ride that expands the Hollywood theme beyond the simple "we make movies here" idea. Many of you will point to Superstar Limo as proof of this being a failure, but Limo still relied heavily on the movie star theme having the ride be a lame sight seeing and celebrity catching dark ride.

Anyways, those are just my opinions. Take each with a grain of salt and call me in the morning.

The Hollywood Pictures Backlot is basically, a mini version of the Disney MGM Studio. So I would just more variety to the area by adding more attraction based rides. There are four shows, Playhouse Disney Live, Muppet-Visioon 4-D, Aladdin, and Turtle Talk. Two rides Tower and Monsters. How about a Mickey based attraction, an oringal based Mickey attraction? I would love to see a Mickey dark ride through his early shorts like "Plane Crazy!!" and "Steamboat Willie".

• ISTC Instructor

Thumbs up Re: What to do with Hollywood Pictures Backlot (or at least what I would do)

Quote Originally Posted by dsnyfnatic View Post
    DARK BLUE

In this theater, guests face a stage, only to have the curtains rize to face a life-like, Lincoln-esque AA of Walt himself. Walt gives a warm welcome, a back-story to his life, his childhood, family, growing up, and the reasons he decided to come to California...
    The problem with this part is that most people know what Walt sounds like because of all of the audio and video clips out there. Either the voice would have to be a compilation of creativly edited quotes to make the AA seem like it was Walt himself talking to you, or you would need a very, very, VERY, good voice impersonator.

The reason why Lincoln is believable is that no one alive has ever heard his real voice. So we can picture that being the real guy.

I do like the idea of the ride!

^ i agree, thatd be the tough thing

i would do what you said, either edit his own sound bites, or find a really really really really really good voice actor, which i think could be possible, especially with WDI being so close to the LA/Hollywood region i would think there would be a lot of pretty talented people who might be able to pull it off

but hey, im not an imagineer, just an armchair one, so ill leave the details to the guys who get paid to do it

• rockin butter sponge!

Actually, there is something called Pro Tools (if you have ever heard Evanessence, you have heard this technology) that can modulate a voice into how ever you want it to sound. There are lots of recordings of Walts voice that can be fed into this program and modulated into new words and narrations. Its actually quite simple. Not that hard at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast