Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

• Santa Barbara, CA

Blue Bayou disappoints

We just had lunch this week at the Blue Bayou, and to me the food quality and Menu (no real salads offered unless you get the 20 buck plus entree) were really out of touch with the rest of Restaurant-dom. I should have looked closer at the Menu before going in. My mistake for sure.

The Cuz's take is that most of the entrees at lunch (which should be cheaper than dinner) were in the 20 to 26 dollar region. Chicken was maybe 16. There are no side orders. The two Prime Rib lunches were so overdone and dried out they were inedible and were gladly taken back. Like they had sat. The staff was fine, and they admitted to this. I think the whole central kitchen thing kitchen needs to be rethought if you are going to put yourself in a higher price bracket. If you want to price yourself that high for lunch, fine. There is demand and they know it. Then deliver at the level of presentation and food quality of better Restaurants. Orange County has great places to eat and local AP's especially are willing to spend for something amazing if it is there as they got in free. The expectation goes up and I start comparing it to other real world places that are not mass production. Plastic laminated Menus with pirate maps looks like everyone got a Kid's Menu. What cheese! They used to have elegant menus. It just does not look anyone is serious about the food at all. Anyone else feel that way? I'm not a snob but felt "declining by degrees" big time.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Re: Blue Bayou disappoints

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience at Blue Bayou. It seems everytime me and the wife eat there our meals are wonderful.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    We just had lunch this week at the Blue Bayou, and to me the food quality and Menu (no real salads offered unless you get the 20 buck plus entree) were really out of touch with the rest of Restaurant-dom. I should have looked closer at the Menu before going in. My mistake for sure.

The Cuz's take is that most of the entrees at lunch (which should be cheaper than dinner) were in the 20 to 26 dollar region. Chicken was maybe 16. There are no side orders. The two Prime Rib lunches were so overdone and dried out they were inedible and were gladly taken back. Like they had sat. The staff was fine, and they admitted to this. I think the whole central kitchen thing kitchen needs to be rethought if you are going to put yourself in a higher price bracket. If you want to price yourself that high for lunch, fine. There is demand and they know it. Then deliver at the level of presentation and food quality of better Restaurants. Orange County has great places to eat and local AP's especially are willing to spend for something amazing if it is there as they got in free. The expectation goes up and I start comparing it to other real world places that are not mass production. Plastic laminated Menus with pirate maps looks like everyone got a Kid's Menu. What cheese! They used to have elegant menus. It just does not look anyone is serious about the food at all. Anyone else feel that way? I'm not a snob but felt "declining by degrees" big time.

I agree. That's why I no longer eat there. Far too much money for the quality of food you get. Some eat there for the whole atmosphere but I guess that is part of it's charm.

•   

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with you. I tried to ignore it for the times I've been there but I'm a food lover and the food there is a disappointment. I love the restaurant itself but I do believe the food needs to be stepped up.
    That line that Ouimet had about having the best restaurants and food is one of the only things I'd disagree with him on. Anyone remember that quote?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I haven't seen the new menus, but if they are indeed laminated pirate maps, to me that says "Denny's", not "I'm ready to spend over $100.00 on a meal."

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post

My wife and I have not been back to BB since it reopened last summer - strictly for the prices. We used to dine there for lunch often and usually split a Montecristo sandwich - but now, if we do that, they charge us $5 not only that, the Montecristo went up like $6 or $7 in price. It doesn't seem quite fair, if you ask me. So, we've elected to stay away unless we are with a party of others that wish to dine there.

You make excellent points about other upscale restaurants in Orange County that don't offer you a plastic laminated pirate themed menu - there's an elegance you expect when you are paying those inflated prices.

I 100% agree with you.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Hmm, I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

I haven't had any issues with visiting there since the refurb (though I'll admit that I only went once and only had dessert, it was delicious and wonderful service). I'm going actually a week from today for my birthday, so I'll be posting up a review.

I've read 50/50 reviews...though the majority of the negative ones I read were from the soft openings, and since they were still hammering things out, I don't really count those. I'm going to go in with an open mind, as I love the place.

I do agree that the lunch menu is too expensive for what they offer. Dinner is one thing, but lunch...ehh. In truth the lunch and dinner menu aren't very different, so perhaps they ought to think of some other things to serve during that time frame.

• Banned User

I didn't even bother with BB this last trip in Nov. I'd heard the food quality had gone downhill so much, so, we went to Cafe Orleans instead where I had my beloved monte cristo!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    My wife and I have not been back to BB since it reopened last summer - strictly for the prices. We used to dine there for lunch often and usually split a Montecristo sandwich - but now, if we do that, they charge us $5 not only that, the Montecristo went up like $6 or $7 in price. It doesn't seem quite fair, if you ask me. So, we've elected to stay away unless we are with a party of others that wish to dine there.

You make excellent points about other upscale restaurants in Orange County that don't offer you a plastic laminated pirate themed menu - there's an elegance you expect when you are paying those inflated prices.

I 100% agree with you.
    Go to Cafe Orleans, they have the Monte Cristo there, priced at it's old price (and it comes with fresh grapes...mmmm!).

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    I haven't seen the new menus, but if they are indeed laminated pirate maps, to me that says "Denny's", not "I'm ready to spend over $100.00 on a meal."

Their menus are laminated now???

That is an absolute JOKE. The last time I went was about 6 or 7 years ago and they were leather (or what appeared to be leather) with acutal paper pages. How cheap!

As to why they are skimping so much on their food there, I think it's because it's so dark inside you can't see your hand in front of your face. Probably in the kitchen their really just tossing Hungry Man dinners in the microwave!

• "714"

Ya know ever since the "New" POTC stuff went in, the Blue Bayou just doesnt do it for me anymore. I dont care for the new menu. I use to LOVE that dish with all the noddles and chicken on top??? YUM. But, No More! IMO you dont get a lot for your money, but it never use to be like that.Also YUCK to that Rib dish thing they have for dinner now.

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
    MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Their menus are laminated now???

That is an absolute JOKE. The last time I went was about 6 or 7 years ago and they were leather (or what appeared to be leather) with acutal paper pages. How cheap!

As to why they are skimping so much on their food there, I think it's because it's so dark inside you can't see your hand in front of your face. Probably in the kitchen their really just tossing Hungry Man dinners in the microwave!
    They're laminated because they're keepsakes that you can take with you...they're not going to make leather menus to just hand out to everyone...

• Beer is good beer.

It's your review and others like it that have kept us from dining at the Blue Bayou since the re-opening. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on lunch or dinner, I want a decent salad to accompany my entree, a non-plastic menu and alcohol with my meal! Sorry to hear that your experience was so disappointing.
    M A S E C A !

• Haunted Mansion Lover

It's sad that you had a bad meal at the Blue Bayou. We were there last Thursday for lunch and we LOVED it! We split the Monte Cristo and for $4 I got my own starter (Chicken Gumbo)and my own plate with two side dishes on it. So my hubby and I both ate for $21. He had his own salad and side dishes as well. The service was great and we thought the food was excellent. We loved it so much we will be going again on our next trip!

As far as the prices go you are in a place where they charge $2.75 for a bottle of water!
    Foolish Mortal

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ~xxBooxx~ View Post
    Ya know ever since the "New" POTC stuff went in, the Blue Bayou just doesnt do it for me anymore. I dont care for the new menu. I use to LOVE that dish with all the noddles and chicken on top??? YUM. But, No More! IMO you dont get a lot for your money, but it never use to be like that.
    Agreed - it just doesn't do it for me anymore either. Before you know it, they're going to change the name to "Jack Sparrow's Blue Bayou". I think I might picket that if it happened.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast