Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Why not tear out DCA, the Timon parking lot, the GCH, and DTD and build Disneysea

I think they should of stuck with WestCOT.

Re: Why not tear out DCA, the Timon parking lot, the GCH, and DTD and build Disneysea

Simple....$$$$. Sure, if it was "cloned" there would be reduced cost for design, etc. But let's not forget how stinking expensive TDS was. It makes the money they spent on DCA/GCH seem like chump change! They thought Westcot would have been expensive, but even it would be way cheaper! (Not to mention, how could one write off or justify demolishing almost $2 billion in existing stuff!)

But, TDS is still the most amazing theme park out there....it's a shame most Disneyfans will not get a chance to go there

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soyboy View Post
    this dude is right...

DER!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    But, TDS is still the most amazing theme park out there....it's a shame most Disneyfans will not get a chance to go there
    No, the real shame is that Disney management won't allow the very best for their own stateside theme parks. I'm just happy that TDS is as gorgeous as it is... there really still is imagination in this world. I'm glad that it exists SOMEwhere.

I will go to TDS within the decade. I made that promise to myself already. Everyone else can do the same if they really wanted to see it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Sock Puppet

As good as Disney Sea maybe, I just don't think it will be as good and unique a second time around. I mean look at Florida's Magic Kingdom, although it's bigger it pails in comparison to the original. Making a new Disney Sea would be doing the same. Plus, 85 percent of what you are suggesting they tear down is actually pretty popular elements. Grand California Hotel is one of the best looking and most relaxing places to visit in the resort. Even if you want to keep it a hotel and re-theme it, it's a ridiculous idea, because the red wood, fireplace and other elements make it what it is. DTD is also something that cannot, A) it makes Disney a lot of money and B) Guests love having a place to go to the movies eat at non-Disney Restraunts, go see a band and shop. If you were proposing to "plus" the already existing property, it wouldn't be that crazy. But you want to tear it all down, for a park that already exists and probably wouldn't be replicated well.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    No, the real shame is that Disney management won't allow the very best for their own stateside theme parks.
    That's what I meant...you just phrased it better

But, if I was Bill Gates, I'd fly all big Disney park geeks like myself to the TDR....It's not just TDS that is amazing there. Heck, I thought the trip was worth it just for Pooh! (not to mention their Splash Mt., etc)

• Food & Whine Aficianado

The Grand Californian is one of the few things they've done almost exactly right in the last decade! It is beautifully themed and is wonderful to visit the common areas even if you're not a guest. Granted, the rooms themselves aren't quite up to the standards set by top-tier places with similar prices, but they're still very nice. And it isn't exactly hurting for business...they want $390 for a standard-view room in FEBRUARY. (So I just booked a 3-star hotel through Priceline for $55 instead.)

As much as I wish DCA was DisneySea or WESTCOT, I still think it can be made into something great without bulldozing everything. Besides, it isn't going to happen, so why bother discussing it? But I do think they need to speed up the revitalization drastically. A new ride every few years isn't going to cut it.
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Pugman View Post
    The Grand Californian is one of the few things they've done almost exactly right in the last decade! It is beautifully themed and is wonderful to visit the common areas even if you're not a guest. Granted, the rooms themselves aren't quite up to the standards set by top-tier places with similar prices, but they're still very nice. And it isn't exactly hurting for business...they want $390 for a standard-view room in FEBRUARY. (So I just booked a 3-star hotel through Priceline for $55 instead.)

As much as I wish DCA was DisneySea or WESTCOT, I still think it can be made into something great without bulldozing everything. Besides, it isn't going to happen, so why bother discussing it? But I do think they need to speed up the revitalization drastically. A new ride every few years isn't going to cut it.
    You know what? I'm glad that time is being taken DCA because the intial project of opening the park was rushed so most attractions were bought off a catalogue (something Disney very rarely does). So it's good that Disney is taking the revitalization seriously and have finally stopped (well mostly) just depending on quick fixes. I mean look at the great stuff we have gotten since 2001: Flik's Fun Fair, It's a Bug's Life, ToT, Monster's Inc., The Alladin Musical, Block Party Bash, and I have high hopes for Midway Mania. So yeah, maybe it has taken a while, but those are all quality attractions. I think the park has come a lot further than what people give it credit for.

• Food & Whine Aficianado

Quote Originally Posted by THE BOB View Post
    You know what? I'm glad that time is being taken DCA because the intial project of opening the park was rushed so most attractions were bought off a catalogue (something Disney very rarely does). So it's good that Disney is taking the revitalization seriously and have finally stopped (well mostly) just depending on quick fixes. I mean look at the great stuff we have gotten since 2001: Flik's Fun Fair, It's a Bug's Life, ToT, Monster's Inc., The Alladin Musical, Block Party Bash, and I have high hopes for Midway Mania. So yeah, maybe it has taken a while, but those are all quality attractions. I think the park has come a lot further than what people give it credit for.
    But with the possible exception of ToT and Aladdin, none of those enhancements are really E Ticket attractions, which are what's needed. I have very high hopes for Midway Mania, however. I actually don't mind some of the off-the-shelf rides, as long as they're themed sufficiently to set them apart from regular carnival rides--for instance I think Flik's Flyers is very nicely done. Maliboomer and Mulholland Madness need serious help (or removal), I think.
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• Sock Puppet

But with the possible exception of ToT and Aladdin, none of those enhancements are really E Ticket attractions, which are what's needed. I have very high hopes for Midway Mania, however. I actually don't mind some of the off-the-shelf rides, as long as they're themed sufficiently to set them apart from regular carnival rides--for instance I think Flik's Flyers is very nicely done. Maliboomer and Mulholland Madness need serious help (or removal), I think.
    Yeah, but you have to look at a park like MGM, they only have two E-Ticket attractions and alot of little things and although is average, proves that you don't need alot of E-Tickets to make a decent park, just a good undercard. Now DCA has about four E-ticket Attractions (Soarin, Screamin, Grizzly, and ToT) the same amount of of "Mountains" Disney has. So, I really doubt that lack of E-Tickets is the problem anymore (although, a few more never hurt). Again, I think it's true success relies upon imagineers taking their time and creating attractions with a lot of thought and imagination, wether they are big or small.

• MiceChat Moderator

Actually I somewhat disagree (only somewhat) with what you think is needed in DCA... I think right now, what DCA has plenty of (other than restaurants) are E-Ticket attractions. Think about the reasons why most AP'ers go over there. You have Soarin', GRR, CA Screamin', and Tower of Terror. That's 4 solid e-ticket attractions... and maybe 5 if you count Maliboomer. But where's the supporting cast?

Monsters Inc is the only decent D ticket in the park. (yes, ,maybe one other in Bug's Land but it's not very inventive.... and especially since Flik is an inventive bug!). Midway Mania will be another D ticket but they need more. Much more. For every one e-ticket, there should be several C and D's to support them.

But definitely, DCA needs more E-Tickets too and they need to start planning for them now, but there also needs to be a balance of supporting rides to make it a great family park. Right now it's a "very good" family park. It might take over a decade for it to become great.

• It's all about Theme!

A Whole Sea style park was originally planned for the area that currently house's the Queen Mary and Spruce Goose Dome. They scrapped the idea for California Adventure instead.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by wave789 View Post
    Would there still not be enough room? Would it be too expensive?
    Additionally, Disneyland needs to be refurbished so that it's at least on par with Disneysea.
    Of course this is all wishful thinking and will never happen.
    If california had a DisneySea, my family would mock me even more for traveling to Japan and "wasting" two days at Disney

• Banned User

Who here really expects DCA to still be there 50 years from now? When I'm 80 years old and hopefully still kicking around I want to see them build a proper second gate.

I can't imagine DCA going on the path it's currently on, John Lasseter or no. You cannot salvage that park unless you demolish and rebuild a good portion of it.

DCA is missing the kind of theming you see in Indy or Roger Rabbit's queue. I rode Roger Rabbit and I was amazed at how much detail is in the queue, such a throwaway thing was given so much attention. That's the Disney I love. If a second gate was built in 1993, trust me, it would be packing in 12 million guests a year.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    Who here really expects DCA to still be there 50 years from now? When I'm 80 years old and hopefully still kicking around I want to see them build a proper second gate.

I can't imagine DCA going on the path it's currently on, John Lasseter or no. You cannot salvage that park unless you demolish and rebuild a good portion of it.

It'll still be there. But it'll look very very different by then. I think there's enough good in DCA to keep it from complete demolition (tower of terror, soarin', GRR, ca screamin). A lot of it needs to be redone, no argument there. The place has so much off the shelf rides, non-attraction attractions, restaurants, and shopping that clearing those areas would be a smarter move than starting from scratch.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast