Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Why not tear out DCA, the Timon parking lot, the GCH, and DTD and build Disneysea

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    A lot of it needs to be redone, no argument there. The place has so much off the shelf rides, non-attraction attractions, restaurants, and shopping that clearing those areas would be a smarter move than starting from scratch.
    The infrastructure itself is flawed. There is no transportation of any kind. The paths themselves are confusing. There are a lot of dead ends that lead to nothing. I mean, God, even Six Flags has transport.

The park will definitely have to be renamed though, don't you think?

• ...TWO BITS!

Re: Why not tear out DCA, the Timon parking lot, the GCH, and DTD and build Disneysea

^ I can only think of 2 real dead ends: TOT and Fun Fair areas.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    The infrastructure itself is flawed. There is no transportation of any kind. The paths themselves are confusing. There are a lot of dead ends that lead to nothing. I mean, God, even Six Flags has transport.

The park will definitely have to be renamed though, don't you think?
    Oh definitely. They can certainly keep elements of the "CA" concept but it doesn't need to occupy the entire park.

Look at EPCOT for example. They didn't pick one country to do an entire park out of. The picked... well... you guys can count them on your own leisure. But it's a big number! In ONE park! And those are COUNTRIES. CA is just one state. They're really pushing it to the absolute furthest they should go with this idea.

They can keep the name DCA to just say that it's located in CA and it's an adventure... but I def don't think the park needs to be so restrictive. It's got potential for a lot more.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• I can't stand you.

Really? I mean wow. I know some of you really dislike dca but saying demolish the whole thing to make a lame water park? I can honestly say the last thing anahiem needs is a water park. Sure dca needs work but your saying to spend tons of money to demolish, clear and remove alllllll of dca to spend more money for a water park? Please that's a terrible idea you can easily bring dca up to par with those millions you'd be spending tryin to convert that lot into a water park.

Kick start WDI, put in some greatly themed attractions and fill in some of the vast empty spaces that fill DCA and you have visitors. Sure it will take a few years but I think that's a lot better than just demolishing the whole thing.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Chopsticks View Post
    Really? I mean wow. I know some of you really dislike dca but saying demolish the whole thing to make a lame water park? I can honestly say the last thing anahiem needs is a water park. Sure dca needs work but your saying to spend tons of money to demolish, clear and remove alllllll of dca to spend more money for a water park? Please that's a terrible idea you can easily bring dca up to par with those millions you'd be spending tryin to convert that lot into a water park.

Kick start WDI, put in some greatly themed attractions and fill in some of the vast empty spaces that fill DCA and you have visitors. Sure it will take a few years but I think that's a lot better than just demolishing the whole thing.
    Alright, I understand the confusion, but Disney Sea is not a water park actually. It's an awesome theme park just like DL and DCA and WDW, it's just very Nautically themed, mostly because it is near the sea.

• We wants the Redhead

While I LOVE Disneyland more than DCA, I still think DCA is a wonderful addition to DLR. I would hate to see it go. I feel it really compliments Disneyland, it had more thrilling roller coasters...
    Janet
    John 3:16

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    You enter DCA, pass under the Golden Gate Bridge, and come across the sundial sculpture. It's very underwhelming. Then where do you go? The sundial is essentially a dead-end road block. So you look left, towards the Hollywood Studios area, but don't see anything major to draw you in. (Well, if you look in the distance, you see the Tower of Terror behind some buildings, but there is no straight path to it.) And you look right, only to see a long winding path with no rides for quite a while. Only after taking the long winding road to the right do you finally see the icon of the park, the Sun Wheel and the Mickey head loop on California Screamin'. But now that you see these two rides, you realize that there is no direct path to them. You have to walk around this large, empty body of water to get to them. And then if you want to go to the Tower of Terror? Well, it's at the opposite end of the park, way past where you started.

DCA violates two important concepts that Walt designed Disneyland with. You need a "weenie" to draw people into the park, and once in the park, they should be isolated from the outside world (the berm, rides not giving views outside of the park.)

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Moving Sidewalk View Post
    You enter DCA, pass under the Golden Gate Bridge, and come across the sundial sculpture. It's very underwhelming. Then where do you go? The sundial is essentially a dead-end road block. So you look left, towards the Hollywood Studios area, but don't see anything major to draw you in. (Well, if you look in the distance, you see the Tower of Terror behind some buildings, but there is no straight path to it.) And you look right, only to see a long winding path with no rides for quite a while. Only after taking the long winding road to the right do you finally see the icon of the park, the Sun Wheel and the Mickey head loop on California Screamin'. But now that you see these two rides, you realize that there is no direct path to them. You have to walk around this large, empty body of water to get to them. And then if you want to go to the Tower of Terror? Well, it's at the opposite end of the park, way past where you started.

DCA violates two important concepts that Walt designed Disneyland with. You need a "weenie" to draw people into the park, and once in the park, they should be isolated from the outside world (the berm, rides not giving views outside of the park.)
    Fine, I'll get my hot dog out fit on and stand in front of DCA calling for people to go inside. Geez, why am I always the weenie?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Moving Sidewalk View Post
    You enter DCA, pass under the Golden Gate Bridge, and come across the sundial sculpture. It's very underwhelming. Then where do you go?
    Thank you. Your entire post managed to explain DCA's horrible layout better than I ever could.

• :)

dca needs a poo slip-n-slide and a matlock store.
    Last edited by Zeus; 01-13-2007 at 02:17 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Chopsticks View Post

Tokyo DisneySea is not even remotely close to a water park. It is the world's most beautiful and elaborate theme park and in my opinion, the best theme park since Disneyland. Having a DisneySea even close to the one in Tokyo would be worlds better than California Adventure. Here are pictures of each of the 7 lands to give you an idea of the layout:

Mediterranean Harbor

Mysterious Island

Mermaid Lagoon

Arabian Coast

Lost River Delta

Port Discovery

American Waterfront

~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Saddlesore Swanson View Post
    Whoa. Slow down there, buddy.

DisneySea is really, really great. Easily Disney's best second gate next to the o.g. EPCOT Center.

But it's still no Disneyland.

As for the OP, the biggest and easiest answer is $$$. It's fun to imagine, though. But it's just not gonna happen.
    I'm going to come out and say that I was a big fan of EPCOT Center. While I didn't visit during the first few years of its opening, I did see it while it still had all the original attractions instead of the thrill rides it did today. It certainly was much better before; I still can't believe they replaced classic rides such as Horizons and World of Motion with Mission: Space and Test Track, thrill rides with very little of the magic and charm that was in both of the rides they replaced. I guess they were needed though since many people complained of the park being too boring. Many also stated that the atmosphere felt too much like a science center or museum and not like a theme park. EPCOT Center used to be my favorite Disney park back in the 1990s, but I would rate many Disney parks above it as it exists today.

However, I must say that even in all of EPCOT Center's scale and originality, I still think Tokyo DisneySea is a better theme park. EPCOT Center just didn't come close to matching the beauty, theming, layout, selection of attractions, and atmosphere of Tokyo DisneySea for me. Tokyo DisneySea is without a doubt, the best second gate of all time in my opinion; I can seriously see Tokyo DisneySea being better than Disneyland one day because it's already near perfection and will only get better with time, especially with the addition of 2 new E-tickets in the last 2 years.

And on the topic of money, I must say that while I would absolutely love a DisneySea over here, it's financially impossible. Tokyo DisneySea had a budget of over $3 billion at its opening, more than DOUBLE what it took to create California Adventure, Downtown Disney, AND The Grand Californian Hotel.

It isn't known as Epcot Center anymore, now it is just Epcot

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CowofDisney View Post
    It isn't known as Epcot Center anymore, now it is just Epcot
    I was refering to its old name since I was talking about the original Epcot.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Going back a few posts, DisneySea would have been a good idea if it wasn't going to be a water park, and just had attractions based on the ocean.

Also Walt Disney did not want Disneyland built near the ocean because he didn't want people coming in their bathing suits.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast