Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Shredder

Re: Disneyland TLC - 1/12/2007 - Trip Report

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    If for some reason, the maintenance crews have to paint while the guests are on the stage, then those cast members need to be in turn-of-the-19th-Century costumes.

Walt Disney World used to have to paint sometimes during the day because the area would be so humid that nothing would dry, but W.D.W. made it a point to put their paint crews in costume in order to make them part of the show. People don't pay $63 to go to Disneyland and see guys in sweats.

This is, indeed, an example of poor showmanship and a lack of professionalism.
    Good Lord...

Is it really that serious?

Current WDI Imagineer: "But we made great attractions like Pirates of the Carribean!!!"
    Cast Member: "No, WED made Pirates of the Caribbean, you guys made things like 'Spare Park' [DCA]"

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Great report GC! I love not only the good, but also the bad points you brought out.

I'm sorry to see the Villains Lair gone, but since they never really used it, I guess that's ok. I could count on one hand how many Villains meet-and-greets I saw there during the time they had it up and almost always just with the Queen of Hearts. Poor Ariel, her and her area could really use some work.

As far as the maintenence workers...I would rather see them than chipped, scratched paint!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

I love your TR for 2 reasons. First, I love the way you very clearly expressed your love of the park in the first part -- the good. It's very obvious that you are not just bashing the place you love. Second, the pictures in the bad part allow us to see for ourselves the things you described. Last week when I was there I noticed several light bulbs had burned out. Did I take pictures? No. See, you are much more experienced at the TR thing than I am!!! Also, I felt a little guilty, thinking of documenting anything reflecting a bad show. I love DL so much, I kind of wanted to overlook these small things -- but the small things add up and are important. So thanks for your TR!

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

Great report! Loving the details! It's strange looking at the pics and it seeming that 'something is missng' hehehe

• Popular Princess

great report! very detailed and interesting!
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post
    I'd rather see things getting painted during the day than not have them done at all...also known as the Pressler era.

Seems to me that this is common practice during weekdays, but usually we don't notice the workers because they're behind tarps. I know I've seen them on Main Street on more than one occasion. I think they try and do as much painting as possible during the day as it's easier to match colors and dries better, etc, etc. Painting during the third shift tended to cause problems from what I remember reading. Something about the sun coming up and they looked at their work and said "oops."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    No, you're right. I'm sure the patina is intentional. But, it's developing in an uneven way.

Disney could paint a fake patina on the statue until a real one is in place.

The roofs of both the Chinese Theatre at the Disney MGM Studios and the monorail station at Downtown Disney were built with fake patinas, I believe.
    And isn't it based on an original somewhere in Denmark?

No? Isn't that one all green and nasty looking?

• e komo mai

Thanks all.
    Who knows, maybe I'll do another one in a couple of weeks.
    I'd also like to keep an eye out to see if any of these things get fixed. If so, I'll report on it.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Hey Dog, great report. Lots of fascinating stuff that I would likely space over. Great shots, too, and it's not just the camera that matters. The photos told the stories perfectly.

Lu

"Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

• rockin butter sponge!

One day i will write as great a Trip Report as you!!

• All you need is LOVE

Thanks for sharing love the photos

Quote Originally Posted by Vashsky666 View Post
    Is it really that serious?
    Obviously, current Disney management doesn't think so, while both Disneyland and Walt Disney World's former managements did.

Which set of managers do you think is right?

MerlinJones in another thread happened to mention the film, "Somewhere in Time", with Christopher Reeve, and I'm glad he did because that entire movie was about how a single small detail can completely shatter one's perception of reality. Everything at Disneyland is there for a reason. All the elements are intended to create for the guests a literal fiction. Any contradictions, such as anachronisms, remind guests that they are in downtown Anaheim, instead of being in another world.

Furthermore, by having employees painting the lampposts in old sweatshirts, Disney is saying to the guests that came that day, "We don't care about you or your experience; we already have your money."

Quality of show is one of the three main reasons guests visit Disneyland. But, Disneyland's Show-Quality Management department was neutered under Pressler. It needs to be restored to its former prominence, and Theme Park Operations must make good showmanship a priority again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123