Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Re: If you can refurb one "area" in the resort, which one would it be and what you do

I'm going to say the DL Hotel is the place I'd like to renovate if I could. I'd probably keep the towers, but give them new "skin" with a more modern look. I'd also bring back some of things that made this hotel so "magical" like a retro coffee shopped themed to early DL (ala monorail cafe). I would also take the old "Fantasy Waters" area, koi ponds and waterfalls area and incorporate them into a larger "Fantasy Gardens" area like HKDL with character topiaries, beautiful gardens full of flowers/plants, charter meet and greets, new water features and fountains, etc. The arcade and glass shop next to Croc's Bits and Bites needs some work as well. Maybe just make it a large arcade. I'd also give the Towers new names, more CA/DL names like the Walt Disney Tower, Pacific Tower, and Sierra Tower would remain.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• California Golden Bear

Re: If you can refurb one "area" in the resort, which one would it be and what you do

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that everyone's ideas for Tomorrowland are to turn it into yesterland. For instance, while the May Blair murals are nice pieces of art with historical significance there is nothing futuristic about them anymore. In fact their historical significance is excactly the reason they shoould not return. More than anything they made TL feel old and dated. They belong in a musuem, not in the future.
    That said there are some aspects of TL that I think should return, like the people mover and the rocket jets in their original place, but these attractions should be brought back only after being redesigned with the latest technology.

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    In Disneyland:
    -TOMORROWLAND! (as pugman said)

I would:
    1) remove the astro orbitor and rocks.

2) remove the orbitron and also "Tomrrowlanding" store at the base of it.

3) close Honey, I Shrunk the Audience

4) gut the Innoventions building

5) wipe out the Autopia

6) Give Tomorrowland a proper entrance that screams "come into this land because you will NOT regret it!"

7) In Star Tours, upgrade the big screen monitor to add more planets and destinations. Also make sure every simulator has a digital screen. And deck out the actual simulator to look like a Star Speeder 300... not just a painted one. And maybe update with a new film if the story is good enough.

Not this fanciful but similar to the other ones:

8) In Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, redo the queue so it doesn't look like it was designed by McDonald's. (no more flat 2D wallpaper). It needs to look like a real space ranger academy. Retheme it somewhat so that the ride serves as training for potential rangers.

9) Put the people mover back with upgraded vehicles, speed it up a tad so the ride isn't way long.. but a nice leisure speed. Elizabeth Pena, who voiced Mirage in The Incredibles will serve as tourguide.. but only as an easter egg. Her name won't be revealed to guests. Michael Giacchino who wrote the swing jazzy score for The Incredibles will write new music in the similar style for the new People Mover. But don't worry, the classic favorite tunes will be heard somewhere.

10) Add launch elevators at one end of the People Mover platform that take guests to the very top, where the NEW astro orbitor lives. Also redesigned to look more unique and something that belongs in Disneyland. Bring back the retro designs.

11) Autopia returns, but with electric cars that are smoother and quicker and not as bulky. Redesign the course so it remains a nice long ride without taking as much space. Feature a part of the track that is inside a show building where we actually go to an alien world with animatronics, lighting effects, and flying cars zooming overhead. A city of the future that you're just "driving through".

12) The Tomorrowland Train Station gets a face lift to look more like an actual train station of the future. Imagineers are ordered to go to town with this to add as much fun detail as they possibly can.

13) The last of the Cosmic Waves is removed as escalators RETURN to the front of Space Mountain. The top platform is actually utilized to house most of the queue with additional shaded area and also some cool things to look at.

14) The entrance to "Honey" is moved to the left side of the escalators (next to Pizza Port). This keeps things simple. OH yah... I took this movie out. Well... they'll t hink of another cool futuristic 3D movie to take its place or something.

15) Pizza Port is redesigned to be more organized and also more futuristic. Sound effects are added to the environment to simulate a passing shuttle from time to time.

16) The top floor to the Starcade will be a dedicated exhibit showcasing the Tomorrowland of the past. Many guests would be interested in seeing what USED to be considered "futuristic" and can see how much has progressed.

17) Monorail Station and the Submarines to get a new building that holds more people and with theming to match. Autopia's exit will no longer be in such close proximity to these two attractions.

18) Innoventions now gutted, the inside will be the new home of ADVENTURE THRU INNER SPACE ver 2.0. This omnimover attraction will make use of brand new special effects technology and new knowledge of space to create a new sensational attraction for guests who visit the land.

19) The backside of Tomorrowland Terrace closest to the Matterhorn can get some extra love. Mary Blair's old tomorrowland murals will have a permanent home with a plaque dedicating her artistic achievements so that all who come here will know what she has done for Disneyland and all who love it.

20) Above the now "adventure thru inner space" building will be an interesting visual: a UFO, Tomorrowland's latest fine dining experience... high above Tomorrowland. The imagineers who worked on Encounters at LAX can top even that location with the first table service eatery on the east side of the park. A balcony area on the tip top of the UFO can be special exclusive seating area for prime view of the Fireworks show at night. As well as a romantic reservation for that someone special who also happens to like aliens.

And that, my friends, is my Tomorrowland. Hope you liked it.

all images from: http://www.disneylandpostcards.com/Tomorrowland.html
    I'm for Coheteboy!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by 1313HarborBlvd View Post
    Am I the only one who finds it ironic that everyone's ideas for Tomorrowland are to turn it into yesterland. For instance, while the May Blair murals are nice pieces of art with historical significance there is nothing futuristic about them anymore. In fact their historical significance is excactly the reason they shoould not return. More than anything they made TL feel old and dated. They belong in a musuem, not in the future.
    That said there are some aspects of TL that I think should return, like the people mover and the rocket jets in their original place, but these attractions should be brought back only after being redesigned with the latest technology.

You're right. A lot of the ideas are echos of the past, but that just shows how GREAT those original ideas and concepts really were. Looking at pictures of Yesterland are more futuristic and pleasing to the eye than the 1998 make-over. Going back to the retro style would be a step forward. Retro never goes outdated. If you look at Tomorrowland right now in its current day, it's already made several steps to take it back to the old days. Club Buzz became Tomorrowland Terrace again. Space Mountain was repainted back to the classic "white". Colors of all the walls are going back to the classic blues and whites rather than the coppers and earth tones. It's the look that never looks old, just as long as they repaint it when needed.

And while I didn't actually say "updated technology" in every attraction I listed, that's definitely the intention. We're not going to the old People Mover... I'm shooting for a new design and everything. For the "rocket jets" or "astro orbitor", I'm all for a new design based on the original look as well...just as long as its back in its original location. Even the elevators that bring people up will be fully equiped with the latest digital technology. While people ride the lifts up to the platform, there will be a monitor with someone from mission control thanking you for being brave enough to be launched into space. On the top platform will be a covered queue that immerses guests in space flight and astronauts... maybe play the old cartoon from the old days about "space medicine" from the Tomorrowland dvds.

Adventure Thru Innerspace is an old favorite and the old ride is certainly outdated. But it's an idea that can be tackled with today's technology and explorations. It can be NEW again and not even the same story as the old. No need to be shrunken down, for example, but I wouldn't eliminate that idea out just yet.

So you see, while we're going to the past, it's looking to the future and bringing Tomorrowland back to its original ideal of looking to exploration of space... both liquid and outer.

Walt emphasized something that I never forgotten, and it's to never forget the past. And that's why I wanted to include the exhibit of past Tomorrowland attractions. Tomorrowland itself, doesn't need to be 100% redone. It just needs to have its injuries healed... and there's no better way to do that than with concepts that have already been established.

The murals by Mary Blair, I said to put them on the backside of tomorrowland terrace facing the matterhorn. Since the murals weren't exactly "tomorrowland" looking by today's standards, it would be a nice tribute to her talent as well as a way to transition tomorrowland into fantasyland. Plus, there's something about that mural that is absolutely wonderful. It's a true piece of art that is better than anything IN tomorrowland since.

jmuboy, I'm all for the Disneyland Hotel, but I think it needs to be completely redone.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I'm almost 100% with Coheteboy...

When gutting Innoventions, I would replace it with a time-traveling attraction, full AA's and the like, including at least one section of a dinosaur experience.

I'd make Autopia more extravagant and futuristic. Instead of the little cars that are there now, replace them with flying saucers (kill two birds with one stone), and as mentioned earlier, go inside a show building of a futuristic city.

To bring back a new and improved Adventure Thru Inner Space, I'd gut HISTA and Starcade, and make a new exit area for Space Mountain (utilizing the giant escalator in front of Space Mountain). I guess the bathrooms and Space Mountain gift shop would be gone too, but it's not like they can't be incorporated into a new area.

And for one more thing to Space Mountain...light up the friggen asteroid!

Sadly one of the Mary Blair murals (I think the one on the Star Tours side) is in really bad shape and wouldn't be able to come back I think the other one is in decent shape...I don't know how easy it is to refurb murals. But I do like the notion of placing them in a new spot to be appreciated. Personally I feel that the one on at least the Buzz side should be by it's a small world.

New murals would be brought into TL...not like the cheaper kind that's there now, but nice stone mosaics. They should commemorate TL of new and old, and work with the color scheme in the rest of the land.

• official corn dog taster

Tomorrowland as well for me

i would use the PM track and have vehicals that act like the Indiana Jones cars do with hydrolics
    OLM!!!
    There is no better park than TDS

As already numerously stated, Tomorrowland in great need of change. I would:

1. Go with reintroducing the People Mover with the Incredibles Pod.

2. It might take away the significance and scenery of Space Mountain, but possibly put the Rocket Jets on the Helo Pad with the SM queue. Whatever you do, get rid of the putrid rocks.

3. Honey, I shrunk the audience either needs a new show or change it into something else.

4. Innoventions just needs to go back to carousel of progress or some other attraction. It was built for an attraction, not an informational module. If you want to keep something like that, put it over at DCA.

5. I'm happy with Autopia, I just hate the queue and ugly colors.

6. Star Tours just needs a new script.

7. Innerspace would be nice to see again, but deciding where to put it.

Every time I'm there, if I could just chip another piece of those gastly looking rocks out of the ground, I believe I could have them removed in 6 months if no one is looking.

• Sock Puppet

Now while I feel like TL needs work I still feel it is on the right track. So I will choose something different.

Fantasy Land/ Toontown

MAJOR Matterhorn Refurbishment
    First I would change the que into a two story chalet with alot more back story about the abominable Snow Man. Alot more skiing props and photos of sightings. Then I would improve some of the show effects. I would love for the mist effect for the lifts to be improved to where you can see it billowing out of the tunnel before you enter. Somehow, I would work it out to where you see a crashed bobsled with big foots prints next to it as you go up the lifts or right after the lifts. And of course a new updated version of the Harold, bigger, meaner, FULLY ANIMATRONIC. Like the Yeti from Everest, but still distinctly an upgraded version of the original snow monster. The second AA monster (on either side) will be standing over a demolished sky cabin. Now, I'm this would NEVER happen, but I'm going to add it because I'm sort of morbid, but on the track there would be a crooked sign that says "Dollie's Dip". (again, terrible idea, please don't bash me too much for it). Also snow effects somewhere in the ride would be awesome as well. In addition to new show effects I would add on board audio to the bobsleds and start off the ride with a polka number but then quickly have a more adventerous mountain soundtrack to the ride.

ADD Little Mermaid Ride
    This would utilize the Motor boat cruise area much better than it has been. The first half of the ride would take place outside and be themed to the kiss the girl sequence. But the latter sequences would delve off into an indoor structure that is themed to Ursula's lair and then then to Atlantica and then finally into the final battle with Triton and Ursula and then back out doors to the wedding sequence.

Subtract PDJ and instead put in a new Beauty And The Beast dark ride.

I would finally take this as a chance to somehow add an actual ending to Snow White's Scary adventure.

Open the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough in the Castle Again.

Replace the sword store with the very missed Villains Store.

Refurb Village House into an actual sit down restraunt with table service, busers and the like.

Finally tear down the old Skycabin que and the surrounding area and then build the already proposed Nightmare Before Christmas ride. Leaving Haunted Mansion the way it should be during the Holidays.

Princess Fantasy Fair area becomes an enclosed movie theatre for Mickey's Philharmagic.

Completely overhaul most of Toontown

What stays in Toontown:
    Mickey's House
    Minnie's House
    Downtown Toontown
    Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin

What Goes in Toontown:
    Goofy's Playhouse
    Gadget's Go coaster
    Donald's Boat
    Chip and Dale's Playhouse

Now I'd expand the area from this point on. From Goofy's house onto half of the coaster area would be still technically be Goofy's House, but this would in fact be the entry to A very Goofy ride, based off of the Goofy movie. It would of course be a dark ride.

From the what used to be the second half of the coaster onto even further behind Chip and Dale's tree house would be The Duck Burg expansion that would include Scrooge Manor walk through and a mini tower of Terror ride based off of Scrooge's building o money.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedMansionMike View Post
    I would put STar Tours where Honey I Shrunk The Audience is, then bring back Innerspace! Honey I Shrunk The Audience is an incredible waste of real estate. What's the point of having a movie theater in a theme park? Besides there's already the Muppet show in DCA!
    It's obvious you've never seen Mickey's Philharmagic, which I honestly consider to be some of the best work Disney Imagineering and Theme Park Productions have ever done. Sometimes the simplest of ideas can be the best ones.

I'm not saying that they should put MP in Tomorrowland, but a 3D/4D show can be a great attraction.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

Disneyland Hotel/Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel. While park's can always be improved, the hotels get less time in the spotlight, although there aren't any noticeable problems, they both can be updated.

I think that a new Disneyland Hotel should be built within the next ten years. While it is a classic, it is showing the age. I think that the new hotel should be built on both DPP and DLH lots, or rebuild both hotels.

The theme that I would like to see for the hotels would be based one, a combo of HKDL Disney's Hollywood Hotel or TDL's Ambassador Hotel, or a design similiar to the new Tokyo Disneyland Hotel.

If another was to be built, even off property, I'd like to see a new version of the Contemporary Resort, or at least incorporate the 2006 room redesign into the current Disneyland Hotel...

• !

wow i don't have anything way detailed. but i agree with most replies. i'd referb tomorrowland. just make it look more futuristic. it looks a bit retro to me.

• ISTC Instructor

Everyone seems to agree that Tomorrowland needs the most work. I agree, but since that seems to be covered decently, I'll go with something else that has been bothering me!

Main Street USA:

Maybee on the oustide one feels like they are transported back into time, but step inside any of the buildings and I feel like I'm in a shopping mall. How many identical souveniers do we need across the park?!?

I'd rather see Main Street offer more unique offerings that are authentic to the time period that Main Street is in.

I'd appreciate some ideas on this. I think I'm more bothered about the Main Street in Florida. The Emporium never ends! And the cinema there is a pal mickey station!

Quote Originally Posted by DocPaddock View Post
    Everyone seems to agree that Tomorrowland needs the most work. I agree, but since that seems to be covered decently, I'll go with something else that has been bothering me!

Main Street USA:

Maybee on the oustide one feels like they are transported back into time, but step inside any of the buildings and I feel like I'm in a shopping mall. How many identical souveniers do we need across the park?!?

I'd rather see Main Street offer more unique offerings that are authentic to the time period that Main Street is in.

I'd appreciate some ideas on this. I think I'm more bothered about the Main Street in Florida. The Emporium never ends! And the cinema there is a pal mickey station!
    Yeah, I was quite annoyed when I visisted WDW and EVERYTHING was a store. Even the firestation was a store. Where the opera house usually is was a photo store if I'm not mistaken. The buildings were beautiful, but inside those stores just made me sick.

• Banned User

I would knock down Honey, I Shrunk the Audience! ack!!!!!!!!!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by DocPaddock View Post

Main Street USA:

Haha, yah, I'm with you but Disneyland's Main Street is in so much better shape than WDW is. I find that the right side of Main Street is still in pretty decent shape with the 20th century shop, magic shop, disneyana, market house, main street cinema, etc.

The merchandise certainly needs work, but that's not so much a retheming of main street, it's a retheming of the consumer products and marketing departments who work at TDA.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast