Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

If you can refurb one "area" in the resort, which one would it be and what you do?

Alright, pretend that you are in charge of the whole resort and given limitless money to refurb ONE area of the resort. Now which area would you choose and how would you change it? What would you add? What would you subtract? Would you keep the name or would you completely change the direction of that area? Remember let's keep it to one area, if you feel necessary, you can merge two existing areas into one. Just to remind you here are the "Lands" in the resort.

Disneyland:
    Mainstreet U.S.A
    TomorrowLand
    Fantasy Land
    Toontown
    Frontierland
    Adventure Land
    New Orleans Square
    Critter Country

DCA:
    Sunshine Plaza
    Hollywood Backlot
    Flik's Fun Fair
    Paradise Pier
    Condor Flats
    Grizzly Creek
    That area based on Frisco (Name escapes me)

Non-Theme Parks:
    DTD
    Disney Land Hotel
    Paradise Pier Hotel
    Disney's Grand California Hotel

• Food & Whine Aficianado

Re: If you can refurb one "area" in the resort, which one would it be and what you do

Tomorrowland, for all the reasons mentioned innumerable times on this board: Do something with the PeopleMover track; put a new-generation rocket jets back up where they belong; revamp Star Tours; replace Innoventions with a new show in the carousel theater or replace it entirely; get rid of Autopia (what is "tomorrow" about smelly cars?...a car ride would be more appropriate in DCA anyway) and use that big plot of land for something unique to DL; replace HISTA; add a full-service future/space themed full-service restaurant. I actually love Mission: Space in WDW, but given all the problems, we'll never see it in Anaheim. I'd love for them to find a way to bring back something similar to the Flying Saucers, too.

Tomorrowland was far and away my favorite land when I was very young (back in the Apollo-era) and now it's in dire need of TLC.
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: If you can refurb one "area" in the resort, which one would it be and what you do

In Disneyland:
    -TOMORROWLAND! (as pugman said)

I would:
    1) remove the astro orbitor and rocks.

2) remove the orbitron and also "Tomrrowlanding" store at the base of it.

3) close Honey, I Shrunk the Audience

4) gut the Innoventions building

5) wipe out the Autopia

6) Give Tomorrowland a proper entrance that screams "come into this land because you will NOT regret it!"

7) In Star Tours, upgrade the big screen monitor to add more planets and destinations. Also make sure every simulator has a digital screen. And deck out the actual simulator to look like a Star Speeder 300... not just a painted one. And maybe update with a new film if the story is good enough.

Not this fanciful but similar to the other ones:

8) In Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, redo the queue so it doesn't look like it was designed by McDonald's. (no more flat 2D wallpaper). It needs to look like a real space ranger academy. Retheme it somewhat so that the ride serves as training for potential rangers.

9) Put the people mover back with upgraded vehicles, speed it up a tad so the ride isn't way long.. but a nice leisure speed. Elizabeth Pena, who voiced Mirage in The Incredibles will serve as tourguide.. but only as an easter egg. Her name won't be revealed to guests. Michael Giacchino who wrote the swing jazzy score for The Incredibles will write new music in the similar style for the new People Mover. But don't worry, the classic favorite tunes will be heard somewhere.

10) Add launch elevators at one end of the People Mover platform that take guests to the very top, where the NEW astro orbitor lives. Also redesigned to look more unique and something that belongs in Disneyland. Bring back the retro designs.

11) Autopia returns, but with electric cars that are smoother and quicker and not as bulky. Redesign the course so it remains a nice long ride without taking as much space. Feature a part of the track that is inside a show building where we actually go to an alien world with animatronics, lighting effects, and flying cars zooming overhead. A city of the future that you're just "driving through".

12) The Tomorrowland Train Station gets a face lift to look more like an actual train station of the future. Imagineers are ordered to go to town with this to add as much fun detail as they possibly can.

13) The last of the Cosmic Waves is removed as escalators RETURN to the front of Space Mountain. The top platform is actually utilized to house most of the queue with additional shaded area and also some cool things to look at.

14) The entrance to "Honey" is moved to the left side of the escalators (next to Pizza Port). This keeps things simple. OH yah... I took this movie out. Well... they'll t hink of another cool futuristic 3D movie to take its place or something.

15) Pizza Port is redesigned to be more organized and also more futuristic. Sound effects are added to the environment to simulate a passing shuttle from time to time.

16) The top floor to the Starcade will be a dedicated exhibit showcasing the Tomorrowland of the past. Many guests would be interested in seeing what USED to be considered "futuristic" and can see how much has progressed.

17) Monorail Station and the Submarines to get a new building that holds more people and with theming to match. Autopia's exit will no longer be in such close proximity to these two attractions.

18) Innoventions now gutted, the inside will be the new home of ADVENTURE THRU INNER SPACE ver 2.0. This omnimover attraction will make use of brand new special effects technology and new knowledge of space to create a new sensational attraction for guests who visit the land.

19) The backside of Tomorrowland Terrace closest to the Matterhorn can get some extra love. Mary Blair's old tomorrowland murals will have a permanent home with a plaque dedicating her artistic achievements so that all who come here will know what she has done for Disneyland and all who love it.

20) Above the now "adventure thru inner space" building will be an interesting visual: a UFO, Tomorrowland's latest fine dining experience... high above Tomorrowland. The imagineers who worked on Encounters at LAX can top even that location with the first table service eatery on the east side of the park. A balcony area on the tip top of the UFO can be special exclusive seating area for prime view of the Fireworks show at night. As well as a romantic reservation for that someone special who also happens to like aliens.

And that, my friends, is my Tomorrowland. Hope you liked it.

all images from: http://www.disneylandpostcards.com/Tomorrowland.html
    Last edited by Coheteboy; 01-13-2007 at 01:15 AM.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Tomorrowland:

PERSONAL RAPID TRANSIT: Using the old Peoplmover tracks plus some extention track as well. These pods would queue in the same place that the old PM queued but also would have a stop at Small World Plaza and another accross Harbor at a new Disneyland Resort Hotel(TL Hotel maybe). Passengers will be verbally asked by onboard computers where they wish to disembark, if the cabin is too hot or too cold and adjust the temp based on the guests reply, what kind of music they prefer etc. The computer will be quite intuitive and will be able to answer many questions that the passengers might have like "What time does the parade start?", "are Priority Seatings still available for the Blue Bayou?(and even make the ressies for the guests if avail.) or even "How tall is the Matterhorn?"
    http://www.cities21.org/Redmond.htm

THE SCROLL: Kicking out innoventions for a return to an AA theater show. This production will follow mans struggle will communication to his eventual mastering of it.

ROCKET JETS: Returned to their higher, more prominent position. Support arms will be covered with optical camoulflage in order to make the jets appear to be flying independent.
    http://projects.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp...A/xv/oc-j.html

SKYWAY: Now with two destinations out of Tomorrowland; orignal trip to the Chalet in Fantasyland and another, longer trip to DCAs Hollywood Pictures Backlot. The cabins will be enclosed to discourage pranksters and worse.
    http://www.treesofmystery.net/skytrail.htm

PROJECT ORION: Taking up the area occupied by HISTA, Star Tours, and much of the Starcade this attraction will take guests aboard a Nuclear Powered Starship. Guests begin their journey boarding a spaceplane in order to reach high Earth Orbit. The spaceplane takes off, soars towards Orion, cirlces the starship and finally docks. Once aboard the ship guests are met by robotic vehicles which will take them on a tour of the ship; including visits to the enginiering room, crews quarters, galley, science modules and finally the bridge. On the bridge we are in for a rare treat...the Captain is about to test fire the nuclear pusher plate for the first time.....but, naturally something goes wrong and their is no time to get back to the spaceplane....we all must evac via escape pods. Not to worry, a nearby spacestation/gift shop will pick us up and return us to Earth.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project..._propulsion%29

AUTOPIA 2055: Gas powered cars are replaced with electric/solar powered vehicles. Heads up displays show the cars occupants, traffic conditions, weather, last nights scores, and even what the line is like at their favorite drive-thru. Small amount of electricity will be created via solar panals on the cars themselves...the rest will flow from solar panals along the highway which will feed charging stations.

SPACE GALLEY X-1: Replacing Red Rockets will be a nice full service restaurant with scores of futuristic looking booths...each one with a view of Earth below! The menu items will also be out of this world and if not futuristic at least on the cutting edge of the world of edibles.

SUBMARINE VOYAGE/NEMO, SPACE MOUNTAIN, BUZZ, MONORAIL WILL, OF COURSE REMAIN.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• :)

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Tomorrowland:

PERSONAL RAPID TRANSIT: Using the old Peoplmover tracks plus some extention track as well. These pods would queue in the same place that the old PM queued but also would have a stop at Small World Plaza and another accross Harbor at a new Disneyland Resort Hotel(TL Hotel maybe). Passengers will be verbally asked by onboard computers where they wish to disembark, if the cabin is too hot or too cold and adjust the temp based on the guests reply, what kind of music they prefer etc. The computer will be quite intuitive and will be able to answer many questions that the passengers might have like "What time does the parade start?", "are Priority Seatings still available for the Blue Bayou?(and even make the ressies for the guests if avail.) or even "How tall is the Matterhorn?"
    http://www.cities21.org/Redmond.htm

THE SCROLL: Kicking out innoventions for a return to an AA theater show. This production will follow mans struggle will communication to his eventual mastering of it.

ROCKET JETS: Returned to their higher, more prominent position. Support arms will be covered with optical camoulflage in order to make the jets appear to be flying independent.
    http://projects.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp...A/xv/oc-j.html

SKYWAY: Now with two destinations out of Tomorrowland; orignal trip to the Chalet in Fantasyland and another, longer trip to DCAs Hollywood Pictures Backlot. The cabins will be enclosed to discourage pranksters and worse.
    http://www.treesofmystery.net/skytrail.htm

PROJECT ORION: Taking up the area occupied by HISTA, Star Tours, and much of the Starcade this attraction will take guests aboard a Nuclear Powered Starship. Guests begin their journey boarding a spaceplane in order to reach high Earth Orbit. The spaceplane takes off, soars towards Orion, cirlces the starship and finally docks. Once aboard the ship guests are met by robotic vehicles which will take them on a tour of the ship; including visits to the enginiering room, crews quarters, galley, science modules and finally the bridge. On the bridge we are in for a rare treat...the Captain is about to test fire the nuclear pusher plate for the first time.....but, naturally something goes wrong and their is no time to get back to the spaceplane....we all must evac via escape pods. Not to worry, a nearby spacestation/gift shop will pick us up and return us to Earth.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project..._propulsion%29

AUTOPIA 2055: Gas powered cars are replaced with electric/solar powered vehicles. Heads up displays show the cars occupants, traffic conditions, weather, last nights scores, and even what the line is like at their favorite drive-thru. Small amount of electricity will be created via solar panals on the cars themselves...the rest will flow from solar panals along the highway which will feed charging stations.

SPACE GALLEY X-1: Replacing Red Rockets will be a nice full service restaurant with scores of futuristic looking booths...each one with a view of Earth below! The menu items will also be out of this world and if not futuristic at least on the cutting edge of the world of edibles.

SUBMARINE VOYAGE/NEMO, SPACE MOUNTAIN, BUZZ, MONORAIL WILL, OF COURSE REMAIN.

you forgot that these somehow have to tie in with pixar / disney...or need millions and millions of dollars in sponsorship, I like your dreams though

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by mulishaCM View Post
    you forgot that these somehow have to tie in with pixar / disney...or need millions and millions of dollars in sponsorship, I like your dreams though
    Ha, ha...lol

I was just answering the OPs question

I suppose tie-ins or sponsorship is a must nowadays.....I bet if these attractions were done like I imagine, sponsorship would not be too difficult.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Coheteboy, you said it beautifully! Tomorrowland needs help! It used to be one of my favorite lands to visit, now I go there only for SM and ST. I miss the People Mover!

• Never Look Back

I agree with Coheteboy...

I love the escalators in front of Space Mountain, but we have to remember that the future is stairs...

Well at least that is the fate of all the old escalators in tomorrowland...

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

And that, my friends, is my Tomorrowland. Hope you liked it
    Nice job, Ewok--you have a great vision for Tomorrowland. Especially considering you live in a tree.

• Super Genius

I would put STar Tours where Honey I Shrunk The Audience is, then bring back Innerspace! Honey I Shrunk The Audience is an incredible waste of real estate. What's the point of having a movie theater in a theme park? Besides there's already the Muppet show in DCA!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

I would do Tomorrowland too, and Coheteboy pretty much sums it up, although I don't 100% percent agree (probably about 99% though.) However, another area we could refurbish could be TDA, there's a lot of dead wood over there from what I hear.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Minion

Wow -- I was about to detail my Tomorrowland desires, but Coheteboy's ideas can't be improved upon. I echo everything he wrote.

I'd only ADD to COHETEBOY's concepts:

* Bring back Skyway.

* New PeopleMover can be Incredibles themed.

* Restore Honey theatre to an open air concert arena/plaza as it was originally designed (see his photo) - - OR - - use that space for a new version of Flying Saucers (indoor or outdoor).

* Restore Mary's murals in place - - OR - - replace them with a futuristic video mural made of many moving tiles - - with cool Pixar-made arty moving designs and films and commercials for attactions.

* Restore the original 1967 color and design schemes (white/black/blue/silver, tropical flora) and enhance the ultamodern detail throughout the land ala Encounter. Eliminate all bronze, gold, copper, ivory.

* Place a small dancing waters fountain OR a new ultramodern Clock of the World at the entrance plaza Astro-Orbitor/Rocks will be vacating.

* Bring back Space Mist Punch.

* Get rid of FastPass queues and machines at all locations.

• Hooterville, USA

I like Coheteboy's ideas except the one about losing HISTA.

I like the show and I love the idea about gutting Innoventions. Make it a dinner theater with live entertainment.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Thanks for the compliments, guys! I know you guys were thinking them up in your head too. I just beat ya to the (space mist) punch!

And yah, MerlinJones, I really didn't think it through for the future of the HISTA location. I think that's something where I would need to see other ideas before deciding. But an open air theater like the old days is promising!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by AnneBonny View Post
    Coheteboy, you said it beautifully! Tomorrowland needs help! It used to be one of my favorite lands to visit, now I go there only for SM and ST. I miss the People Mover!
    thats exactly what i was going to say! Tomorrowland is a disappointment. Unfortunatly i never got to ride the people mover but i would really like to see how it was. everyone always comments on that ride. SM is really the only reason i go to tomorrowland. i always go on ST while I am there as well, but not because I really want to, just because its on the way out. : /

C'mon everybody, here we go!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast