• Minion

Flaw: Spinning Planet "Window" in Space's Loading Station

My younger brother pointed this out to me and it's been bugging me ever since. In Space Mountain's loading platform there's that "window" where you're supposedly looking out of the space station to a red planet. The motion suggests that we are orbiting the planet because we can see its surface move past. In addition to that movement, however, it appears that we are also rotating in relation to the planet, because the planet moves in circles around the sides of the window. Now if you look at the stars, they are only moving in this fashion - making circles in that screen. To clarify, the motion of the stars is the same as if you had a CD with dots on it and spun it. Since we are also orbiting the planet, shouldn't the stars appear to be moving towards and past us, not just in circles?

It's hard to explain it without a video, but I have none. Does anyone get what I'm saying? Has anyone noticed that before?

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: Flaw: Spinning Planet "Window" in Space's Loading Station

Yes & no I see your point (but I don't know the effect).
    I guess it all depends on how you are supposed to be looking. If you are outside at night and take a camera and point it to the horizon and open the shutter you will film the earth's rotation. On the horizon the stars will be photgraphed as going side to side. But if you pointed the same camera up above your head the stars would all be going in circles...so I guess it depends on what angle we are looking up from.

• Neep meep beep

I hadn't noticed that before, although I did comment once that the orbital velocity of that particular planet, would be too high to remain in orbit, since it appears to be a small planet (based on each revolution), and the "rocket" you're in appears to be faster than escape velocity.

Stars are so far away that your relative motion would almost never change even if you moved substantially around within a solar system, let alone a planet. For that reason, physicists often point to things like the hyperspace effect in Star Wars -- even if you could move faster than light (you can't), the relative motions of the stars wouldn't change - they're much too far away.

Now astronauts with drums and guitars floating in space, that's another story altogether.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

uhhhhh People......Imagineers are not Rocket Scientists. The whole idea is to just give the illusion. Being into paranormal investigations I can go into a whole list of things the Haunted Mansion is wrong in but do I........NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Banned User

All the "upgrades" to space mountain were done on the cheap so what do you expect?

Most of the already small budget was spent on deconstructing and rebuilding the track and station. Disney didnt want to cough up the dough to make a really impressive redo.

• Shredder

that's a window? O.o

Maybe they should replace the animation with something like the Star Tours pre-video or something... I really didn't know what it was...

Current WDI Imagineer: "But we made great attractions like Pirates of the Carribean!!!"
    Cast Member: "No, WED made Pirates of the Caribbean, you guys made things like 'Spare Park' [DCA]"

• No marbles to begin with!

That "window" is the pretty much the same from Space mountain except for Rockin Space Mountain there are occasional pieces of a drum set floating by. I thought that was pretty interesting.
    My campus elevator smells like burned hair and won't drop faster than the pull of gravity, no matter how much I scream.

• Hooterville, USA

Hadn't noticed. My eyes are always closed.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee View Post
    uhhhhh People......Imagineers are not Rocket Scientists.
    Tell that to the Imagineers that not long ago completed Mission: Space. They may not be rocket scientists, but I know they're capable of replicating an accurate sense of motion in space.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    All the "upgrades" to space mountain were done on the cheap so what do you expect?

Most of the already small budget was spent on deconstructing and rebuilding the track and station. Disney didnt want to cough up the dough to make a really impressive redo.
    Guess not, but it still bugs me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vashsky666 View Post
    that's a window? O.o
    Haha yeah See that's what's wrong with it, the illusion isn't convincing that you're orbiting anything, so that whole effect fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Vashsky666 View Post
    Maybe they should replace the animation with something like the Star Tours pre-video or something... I really didn't know what it was...
    Maybe, although I do think Disney was going in the right direction, they just didn't go far enough.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    Yes & no I see your point (but I don't know the effect).
    I guess it all depends on how you are supposed to be looking. If you are outside at night and take a camera and point it to the horizon and open the shutter you will film the earth's rotation. On the horizon the stars will be photographed as going side to side. But if you pointed the same camera up above your head the stars would all be going in circles...so I guess it depends on what angle we are looking up from.
    The difference here is that we aren't on the planet surface; we are moving in relation to the planet, i.e. orbiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    I hadn't noticed that before, although I did comment once that the orbital velocity of that particular planet, would be too high to remain in orbit, since it appears to be a small planet (based on each revolution), and the "rocket" you're in appears to be faster than escape velocity.
    That is most likely true too. ...

Stars are so far away that your relative motion would almost never change even if you moved substantially around within a solar system, let alone a planet. For that reason, physicists often point to things like the hyperspace effect in Star Wars -- even if you could move faster than light (you can't), the relative motions of the stars wouldn't change - they're much too far away.
    No, there should be two directions of motion in the stars in the same way there are two directions of motion in the planet.

Now astronauts with drums and guitars floating in space, that's another story altogether.
    Right.