Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

•   
    • I <3 °o°

Re: Adding Rooms to the Grand Californian May Be a Bad Idea

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    The resort is lacking a true spa; Mandara is not even close.
    Who goes to the DLR to go to a spa? If you want a spa, go to Beverly Hills
    Is this haunted signature
    actually
    stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
    Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
    also known as...
    Dominatrix of Randomness

• Food & Whine Aficianado

Quote Originally Posted by Adelade View Post
    Who goes to the DLR to go to a spa? If you want a spa, go to Beverly Hills
    Well...since they decided to add "and Spa" to the official name, one would at least expect it to be a good spa. I, too, was very disappointed with my extremely expensive and utterly unimpressive spa experience. It was "mall quality" but with top-tier pricing (and a really tacky gratuity policy).
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    Whatever happened with the idea of incorporating DCA's expansion with the expansion of GCH? In other words, the first two or three floors would be for the theme park (dark ride/shops/eateries), and the upper floors for hotel rooms.

Sounds like a decent compromise to me.
    You've got my vote. Let's bring on Country Bear Jamboree 500!

When I heard about the 50 DVC units in that grassy patch area, I was in shock. Gave me flashbacks of USH's "Vision Plan", which also totally stinks.

You're right, Disney is planning to expand DTD toward the west of the street, why not incorporate more hotel and DVC rooms there!? Maybe build another large parking structure over the current southwest side parking. To balance out with "Mickey & Friends" parking, call it "Pixar Pals" parking

EDIT: Perhaps tear down Paradise Pier hotel to be relocated and rethemed further west on the parking lot. Then east of the new hotel DVC units, then ground parking/un-loading/ limited parking.
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 01-13-2007 at 09:14 PM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Minion

Whatever happened with the idea of incorporating DCA's expansion with the expansion of GCH? In other words, the first two or three floors would be for the theme park (dark ride/shops/eateries), and the upper floors for hotel rooms.
    Surprisingly, some of this concept has been done at Tokyo DisneySea. Like Disney's California Adventure, Tokyo DisneySea also has a hotel built inside the park. The only difference is that the location is much more distinct at Tokyo DisneySea; the hotel is a necessary part of the park, unlike Disney's Grand Californian Hotel. Hotel MiraCosta sits in the Mediterranean Harbor area of Tokyo DisneySea, and all the shops and restaurants in Mediterranean Harbor are all located on the first floor of the hotel. The private entrance for the hotel guests are also located on the first floor. If you had not known about it beforehand, you might not realize the building you are looking at is actually a hotel because it blends into the surrounding area so well. Here's a picture to give you a guide of how the hotel blends into the park:

Hotel MiraCosta & Mediterranean Harbor
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• ...TWO BITS!

^ 2 ideas scrapped in the US and sent to Japan. DisneySea and WestCOT's hotels.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Minion

Thanks for reminding me. WestCot was supposed to be the first theme park to blend hotels into the park. The idea never came through and instead, we got the Grand Californian. Although it's technically inside the park according to Disney, it does not seem like an integral part of the park. It's simply a hotel, just convieniently located inside the park. The Hotel MiraCosta did a much better job of bringing WestCot's original ideas to reality.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

PragmaticIdealist, you summed it up very nicely. Thanks for your post - I hope Disney reads it.

When construstion began on the Tower of Terror, I thought it was simply too big to just be a ride. I expected something like this to happen on that side of the park. Why not have an actual Hollywood Tower Hotel? It made sense to me. But...I was only like ten at the time. What did I know? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by k8ie-ladybug View Post
    When construstion began on the Tower of Terror, I thought it was simply too big to just be a ride. I expected something like this to happen on that side of the park. Why not have an actual Hollywood Tower Hotel? It made sense to me. But...I was only like ten at the time. What did I know? Lol.
    There's been talk of a hotel over there for some time.

I always thought that a resort with a show business motif would complement the ocean motifs of the Paradise Pier Hotel. A high-rise on that side of the property might additionally provide a counterbalance to The Twilight Zone so that its show building doesn't dominate the skyline in the way the attraction does currently.

The only concern I have is that Disney keep the footprint of such an establishment as small as possible and that Disney make an effort to control the views from the hotel as much as possible. But, a "dream factory" hotel on the backlot and inside the park has the potential to be very successful and to provide guests with a unique resort experience.

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

DUSTY - any idea what the plans are for the PP and DL Hotels?
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Yet another reason to add to my sentiments that people should never stay at any hotel in the DLR area when they come for a visit. Try another surrounding city -- they will be very surprised.

What they should have done years ago is this:

That third property we are always hearing about, build hotels there. It is a decent sized area, enough room for a third gate, so 2-3 large hotels could fit there easily. Disney then builds the monorail to the third property so guests don't have to deal with parking or walking the streets.

Either tear down and start over on the Disneyland Hotel or remodel the heck out it so it becomes the equivilant of the GCH. Spruce up the Paradise Pier to be the middlegrade.

So you have the less costly hotels a few blocks away but connected to the resort, you have the wonderful new hotel right next to the parks and within walking distance, and then you have the inbetween.

And if you really want to do an idea like the GCH, have the loby area for the new Disneyland Hotel be on the Hotel side of the street, then an enclosed second floor takes guests over the street to the rooms which are situated above DTD and DCA stores, restraunts, and darkrides.

The resort would truly be a resort. Enough hotel rooms for all types of traveler, more room for DCA to exist, and probably room for more amenities such as a spa, elaborate guest pool, small golf course?

• Koubu Pilot

At least the resort is gaining rooms. I don't know if anyone remembers reading the Werner Weiss update from a couple of weeks ago, but it was about the demolition of what was the original Disneyland Hotel. The two story buildings on the north and south end of the hotel (the south buildings were THE original Disneyland Hotel) were demolished for the resort expansion. The only parts of the hotel to remain intact were the 3 towers and the restaraunts on the west side as well as some of the original Monorail station. Everything else was flattened. What's scary about the article is that the Disneyland Hotel's number of rooms is around 990 and that the hotel's number of rooms hasn't been that low since the last tower was built in the '70s. But then again, I don't think anyone ever imagined shoehorning timeshare units into Disneyland.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12