Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DCA Entertainment Changes

SOOOOO my friends who work Disney Entertainment just informed me that there are going to be some MAJOR changes to the entertainment offerings at DCA.

starting the week of january 21, block party bash will be going down to 3 days a week (fri-sat-sun) and HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL will now be running 5 days a week (fri-tues). ughhh... i like high school musical but i do NOT want to hear "bop to the top" that much personally i think this is a bad idea because between the two shows i would MUCH rather see block party bash. i can see how it makes sense finacially as HSM has a smaller cast and only one float, but COME ON this is ridiculous?! what next?? Parade of Dreams getting days cut? The jedi show getting cut down? Princess Fantasy Faire leaving??? (actually uhhh... that wouldnt be so bad haha) seriously though, what were they thinking when they made this decision?!

• ...TWO BITS!

Re: DCA Entertainment Changes

^ how often do you go to the parks?

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Still wants to be a cat!

I've had enough of BPB personally. High School Musical is short and sweet.

It is the winter season by the way, this kinda thing always happens.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Banned User

That's messed up. I LOVE Block Party Bash as does basically anyone I know. High School Musical only appeals to tweens.

• Still wants to be a cat!

You tend to go to it all the time since you have friends performing in it. The most of the rest of us don't. It's time is done.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• n/a

Eck, BPB is a sorry excuse for a parade. Sooooooooo tacky. Reminds me of the Hurray for Everything Kids from The Simpsons.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

Why is this "MAJOR" news exactly? I would classify this as "minor rescheduling" rather than "MAJOR news". And since it's the dead of winter, I'm amazed they even do anything on weekdays in DCA, let alone both of those shows and Aladdin.

I have watched each of those shows at DCA, HSM and BPB, exactly one time. It was a pleasant way to spend 15 minutes. But I do not ever need to see either show ever again in my life.

The vast majority of people go to amusement parks primarily to go on rides. The parade or little variety stage shows they also do there are side dishes that can be enjoyed or be skipped without much consequence. People go to amusement parks to go on rides. I have ridden Pirates of the Caribbean or Soarin' Over California dozens of times, and look forward to many more visits to those and other rides at Disneyland/DCA.

Parades and shows and little musical acts in an amusement park are one hit wonders that rarely need to be repeated.

• ...TWO BITS!

^ But DLR needs to cater to its large mass of locals as well.

There's nothing wrong with performing arts.

If you think BPB did not satisfy, take a look at Six Flag's copycat then get back to me.

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    take a look at Six Flag's copycat then get back to me.
    haha I havent seen it in person but if you were to compare videos of BPB to the six flags version BPB blows it way out of the water lol although the Porky Pig at the end was pretty cool.
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

• rockin butter sponge!

Oh no! You mean the little rich brat princesses will no longer get to have hundreds of dollars spent on them so they can play dress up? Whatever will the parents from PV Estates do?? *gasps*

Princess fantasy faire was a bad idea from the beginning. My tallest niece was within their "weight limit" but she was too tall, so she was not allowed to participate. Her cousin was a bit pudgy and they didn't have costumes in her size, so they said no to her. But their friend who went with them was petite and cute, and she was welcomed. There were A Lot of tears that day because Ms.Petite's mom had sent the money for Princess Faire and they were not AP holders. She raised a fuss on the phone to my sister so the little petite thing ended up doing the faire (happily) alone while my niece and cousin were excluded. The tears were immeasurable, and i spent a good hour trying to make sure my niece's cousin didn't start an eating disorder at age 9. My tall niece seemed to have a sting in her eye every time a shorter little girl her age walked by.
    After taking the girls for a bit of shopping and a very light lunch, I met back up with my sister to pick up the Petite one. The second she rejoined the group and chatted about her Princess learnin' the mood went down. Our girls didn't want to hear it. It was a big mess.
    We left the park when a fed up Miss Petite shouted "You guys are just jealous cause your too fat and tall to be a princess!! Fat and tall fat and tall!" It was awful. I've never wanted to leave a child in IASW before that day.

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with performing arts.

If you think BPB did not satisfy, take a look at Six Flag's copycat then get back to me.
    Oh my God, thank you so much for reminding me! The last time I went to Magic Mountain I don't remember a BPB type thing or a parade. They only had one, single entertainment offering that day, and it was a trained bird show. It was simply fabulous in its stupidity and awfulness.

It was held in a small outdoor theater in the Bug Bunny Kiddy Land with an exterior very thinly themed to the High Sierras. Except when you walked into the theater it was decorated with Easter Island statues and various polynesian tiki accents and grass thatching. The sound booth in the back of the theater was staffed by a rather stern looking woman in flannel who was playing a Melissa Etheridge CD very loudly over the PA system.

The show began and our blonde hostess stepped out on stage wearing a skimpy referee uniform, with hot pants and tight shirt. She welcomed the audience to the "Bird Olympics". For the rest of the show neither the various tiki decorations or the Melissa Etheridge soundtrack were ever explained or mentioned. I am not making this up.

At this point the group of friends I was with was in varying states of hysterics as the show continued with predictable stunts and tricks performed by a half dozen tired looking parrots and macaws. Our scantily clad referee hostess cavorted around the stage trying desperately to get the audience to "cheer on" each different bird as it did its "Olympic competition" of some sort.

About 15 minutes into this disaster a high point of the show was reached when it was announced the birds would now perform with the "Hoops Of Death". The Hoops of Death actually consisted of three pink hula-hoops hot glued to two long PVC pipes someone had purchased at Home Depot (my money was on the flannel woman in the sound booth queueing the next Melissa Etheridge song). Several children were selected to stand in the main aisle and hold the Hoops Of Death over their heads while a couple of parrots flew through them. I was on the floor in tears at this point.

Mercifully, the grand finale' to the High Sierra Theater Easter Island Melissa Etheridge Tiki Bird Olympics Show, Presented by Home Depot was now upon us. The grand finale' involved a surprise plot twist that two birds were arch enemies who now must work together in the spirit of the Olympics. One bird was placed in a plastic airline dog carrier attached to a rope and pulley. The undecorated dog carrier containing one of the parrots was hoisted about 20 feet above the theater by an elderly usher who didn't have good motor skills. The dog carrier banged and swung its way to the top of the rope with the bird squawking and flapping around inside. The second bird was then sent on a specific route around the theater by our referee hostess, and the bird then landed on a perch where he pulled on a rope that made the dog carrier door swing open thus releasing the parrot inside, which certainly reminded me of the spirit of Olympic sportsmanship. Both birds flew back to the stage, we clapped politely, and Melissa Etheridge blared from the PA system as a subtle way of telling us it was over.

Again, I am not making this up.

Six Flags Magic Mountain has some of the most stunningly awful park entertainment I've ever experienced. It was so bad it was good, and we laughed until we cried. DCA's entertainment is simply good, with no subversive value to be had. DCA entertainment is what it is; well done, upbeat, profesional amusement park shows that I generally only need to see once in my life.

Maybe if DCA played more Melissa Etheridge it would help?
    Last edited by TP2000; 01-14-2007 at 02:06 AM.

This isn't unusual - prior to the early 90s there were NO parades other than summer or Christmas, so the fact that they have it 3 days a week is really an "upgrade".

Oh, and Magic Mountain used to have awesome entertainment. Anyone remember "VHS - A Living Dance Video" from 1990?

• rockin butter sponge!

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    This isn't unusual - prior to the early 90s there were NO parades other than summer or Christmas, so the fact that they have it 3 days a week is really an "upgrade".

Oh, and Magic Mountain used to have awesome entertainment. Anyone remember "VHS - A Living Dance Video" from 1990?
    No, but i remember the karaoke place where you could record your own cover song! That was the best thing about the park when i was younger. Although, when i hit my teen years, the embarrassment of the bubble pop songs i had recorded took over, and in true teen fashion, i destroyed them. I wish i could kick my former selves butt for that one!

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by nemofinder22 View Post
    haha I havent seen it in person but if you were to compare videos of BPB to the six flags version BPB blows it way out of the water lol although the Porky Pig at the end was pretty cool.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=L8krAksDRXo

Yeah, the Porky Pig was the only redeeming thing to it I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mineux View Post
    Princess fantasy faire was a bad idea from the beginning.
    Totally agree. I was in a sociology class and we were talking how society separates male and females and in particular levels, it's just plain wrong. Not to mention the "shape and size" or individuals. UGH, they shoulda just continued the Snow White show, she's a Disney's 1st princess for goodness sakes! And after multiple video views of the show, I've grown to like it.

-Jurassic Park

• Banned User

wow... um... it's an attempt... but strange... - SFMM

they could do more, but winter is a down time... wait till spring when things get back into high gear...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast