• California Golden Bear

DCA Improvement Idea: Paradise Pier Hotel retheme

One of DCA’s many problems is the intrusion of the outside world, preventing any sort of true escapism as is possible within Disneyland’s protective berm. Throught the park the lack of separation between the onstage areas and the outside world is noticeable. Hotels and powerlines can be seen above the Pacific Wharf:

and above the pier:

but ironically one of the worst visual intrusions is from a Disney owned hotel. (no, I’m not thinking of the Grand Californian, although…

The Paradise Pier hotel looms over the park as you walk down the parks main walkway. Inside of the visual weenies of SBC or the Matterhorn DCA has this

but what if we could put that visual intrusion to good use? Like many others have proposed I believe the Route 66 area should be removed and the San Francisco theme extended into that area. The effect of recreating the City by the Bay could be especially convincing if the Paradise Pier Hotel were rethemed to resemble the San Francisco skyline.

The hotel is already there, all that would be required would be a change of façade and with the addition of a couple of more towers of varying heights and one shaped like The City’s iconic Transamerica Pyramid. Not only would this greatly improve the park thematically but it would add more hotel rooms (and therefore revenue) for Disney. The rethemed hotel, (renamed the Hotel St. Francis, the Grand San Franciscan or something to that effect) could even have its own entrance to DCA through the new San Francisco district.

• ...TWO BITS!

Re: DCA Improvement Idea: Paradise Pier Hotel retheme

Interesting.

I noted elsewhere to demo the whole PP hotel. Relocate to further west on the parking lot. Retheme and have more rooms. Then east of the new hotel have DVC units. Then between DVC and Disneyland Drive have limited, un/loading, and guest parking. Then the southwestern part of the DLR's parking have multi-level parking structure, kinda like "Mickey & Friends" but most likely smaller. Then name that "Pixar Pals" .

Yeah, I understand the outside modern world you're talking about. I have ideas to those as well but it's just too detailed and readers usually past my long posts.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Traditional Glow Fanatic

I'm not sure that modern San Fransico works in quite right. The idea is to get away from the outrside world and you'd just be brinding in a different version. They really just need a decent berm like you suggest. As for PPH, it's not it's fault its now in the view of the former parking lot. It used to be hidden.

• ...TWO BITS!

^ I had that thought at the tip of my tongue but couldn't spit it out . Yeah, why bring in a modern San Fransico? The prospect of having a early 1900s SF could bring in an earthquake attraction . And many have expressed interest in SF as the next New Orleans Square and Main Street, USA.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

Not saying this is a bad post or anything like that so dont get me wrong but maybe we should also look at some pics that are a bit more recent not that that trees can block a huge hotel but they do block some parts.
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

• Minion

I was there recently and can safely say that those buildings and powerlines are still quite visible from inside the park.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Eeyore smiling

Not to derail, but as long as we are talking about the Paradise Pier Hotel, what ever happened to their entrance/exit to the park?
    And will they ever open it up again?