Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Closed Account

The DLR Casting Department is in the toilet

First we had a report/video of a Jungle Cruise skipper giving the worst spiel ever.

Last night I watched the First 50 Magical Years again to escape the cold and the CM giving the spiel in there was even worse. He didn't even do it right and completely gave the wrong wording. Instead of "Shortly after Disneyland opened a young boy from Garden Grove rode his bike down to the park" he went "Steve Martin from Garden Grove drove to Disneyland and wanted a job." He was completely uninterested in being there, recited the incorrect spiel, and recited it so dryly and roboticly that Stephen Hawking would've delivered a more interesting and less robot-sounding spiel than this kid.

Then there's the man-almost-woman bearded transgender person serving pizza in DCA. Yes Disneyland cannot discriminate, but it's not like a bearded almost-but-not-quite "girl" doesn't create some extremely uncomfortable questions for parents to answer on their family vacation to the park. Hell the "beard" violates the Disney Look, but that doesn't matter when it's another number to fill in on TDA's weekly hiring quota right?

How long will it be until we get drug addict carnies operating Peter Pan while smoking? If I were to guess, I'd say May or June at the rate the hiring is going at the park.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: The DLR Casting Department is in the toilet

I have never personally seen a bearded she-male working at Disneyland, but the Casting Department can only hire those who apply. If a living wage was offered, quality of applicants would rise significantly. I don't think you can reasonably blame the Casting Department on this one. I do agree that CM enthusiasm is not quite as high as in times past, but there are many great CM's out there STILL doing a great job, while being under-appreciated, and under-paid

• A New Kind Of Villain

To quote some of the best Jungle Cruise skippers...

"I wish that were a joke"

But then again, this subject has been argued over and over. Unless they pay living wages, for the most part they won't get quality workers.

Personally, I've actually considered working part-time at the park for fun (My dayjob keeps me living amazingly well. Moreso than most 24 year olds nowadays), but they require you to pretty much have full availability and worst of all, they don't even give you enough hours until you reach Full Time status. I know my roomie had a horrid time getting enough hours until the peak holiday season hit, and then all she wanted was a day off.

It's sad, but true...
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sadako View Post
    To quote some of the best Jungle Cruise skippers...

"I wish that were a joke"

But then again, this subject has been argued over and over. Unless they pay living wages, for the most part they won't get quality workers.

Personally, I've actually considered working part-time at the park for fun (My dayjob keeps me living amazingly well. Moreso than most 24 year olds nowadays), but they require you to pretty much have full availability and worst of all, they don't even give you enough hours until you reach Full Time status. I know my roomie had a horrid time getting enough hours until the peak holiday season hit, and then all she wanted was a day off.

It's sad, but true...
    Reportedly there was a (experimental?) program a while back to offer weekend-only casual jobs for people otherwise employed full-time elsewhere.

Don't know if that went anywhere, is still in effect, or what - or what lines of business that were included.

• CM for 4 years!

What a hurtful post about a CM's looks.

Not all of us can be beautiful, and DIsney can't hire like the old days, only hiring the girls next door, and upstanding young gentlemen. Not only are they not paying to get them, there aren't many left.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Its pretty sad that people with full time jobs would want to work at Disneyland part time in order to save it from becoming a place that hires chain smoking tatooed carnies. It shouldnt be our job to voluntarilly save Disneyland. For christ sake, just pay people better.

• Hooterville, USA

Ruh roh.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by melmel View Post

Not all of us can be beautiful, and DIsney can't hire like the old days, only hiring the girls next door, and upstanding young gentlemen. Not only are they not paying to get them, there aren't many left.
    Maybe the girl's next door aren't what they once were but they ARE still hiring them.

The past always looks better in retrospect than it did at the time.

And even though I'm an old codger by some measures, some of those tatoo-ed, pierced, and otherwise unfamiliar looks still come in all kinds of varieties personality-wise including some sweet, kind, and otherwise quite nice. Too bad if Disney can't look past the externals sometimes. Perhaps extreme adornments might be excluded (though it would hard to determine where to draw the line) but they need to move a little closer to the 21st century.

the girls next door are workin at hooters makin more money =D
    haha j/k
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Banned User

Not all cast members are bad..

• Animatronic

I was at Disneyland last Sunday and was amazed at how attractive and in theme the cast members I saw were. A smile on every face, and no anachronisms like sunglasses. (I think period accessories should be issued for themed areas.) I didn't even see the "average overweight american" or so many churro carts.

I felt like I was in a well cast movie, or perhaps had actually traveled back in time. It was good to see the old Disneyland back for moment, even if it was just a fluke. I have to admit I didn't stay long. I guess I feared breaking the illusion. It was a nearly perfect 2 hours though.

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    First we had a report/video of a Jungle Cruise skipper giving the worst spiel ever.

Last night I watched the First 50 Magical Years again to escape the cold and the CM giving the spiel in there was even worse. He didn't even do it right and completely gave the wrong wording. Instead of "Shortly after Disneyland opened a young boy from Garden Grove rode his bike down to the park" he went "Steve Martin from Garden Grove drove to Disneyland and wanted a job." He was completely uninterested in being there, recited the incorrect spiel, and recited it so dryly and roboticly that Stephen Hawking would've delivered a more interesting and less robot-sounding spiel than this kid.
    I hope this person was green and/or nervous... otherwise, they should perhaps think about moving to another line of business, where memorized speils aren't required.

Then there's the man-almost-woman bearded transgender person serving pizza in DCA. Yes Disneyland cannot discriminate, but it's not like a bearded almost-but-not-quite "girl" doesn't create some extremely uncomfortable questions for parents to answer on their family vacation to the park. Hell the "beard" violates the Disney Look, but that doesn't matter when it's another number to fill in on TDA's weekly hiring quota right?
    Ok, now that's not cool. While I agree that facial hair is an issue, the person's gender identity should not be. How do you know the person is transgender to begin with? I've seen some non-transgender women with more facial hair than some of the transgender women I've met are even physically capable of growing. And that's without electrolysis or laser hair removal or whatnot. It's almost like the debate on gays in the Parks...

How long will it be until we get drug addict carnies operating Peter Pan while smoking? If I were to guess, I'd say May or June at the rate the hiring is going at the park.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post

Maybe the girl's next door aren't what they once were but they ARE still hiring them.

The past always looks better in retrospect than it did at the time.

And even though I'm an old codger by some measures, some of those tatoo-ed, pierced, and otherwise unfamiliar looks still come in all kinds of varieties personality-wise including some sweet, kind, and otherwise quite nice. Too bad if Disney can't look past the externals sometimes. Perhaps extreme adornments might be excluded (though it would hard to determine where to draw the line) but they need to move a little closer to the 21st century.
    I'm not sure if Disney is alone requiring a conservative look in the workplace. I like the guidelines the way they are, although if someone who doesn't meet the guidelines applies, I don't think they should be turned away unless they refuse to conform.

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by SexkittenGwen View Post
    the girls next door are workin at hooters makin more money =D
    haha j/k
    What is even worse they are getting more respect there too!

• Silent Lucidity

What a hurtful post about a CM's looks...
    Yuck, yuck, yuck...

Personally, I'm glad they don't pay as much attention to appearance when hiring as they used to, otherwise I probably would have been cast someplace far backstage.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast