Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

Hey, cool... check this out, I dug through the rest of the thread and found more of my old ideas for this redo:
    (there are several additional ideas, and I didn't separate them, so bear with me on continuity, k?)

Okay, I have an addition to the Hollywood area:

Use one of the storefront areas at the beginning of the Hollywood area (either that or add this to the second part of the left side, between NY and LA) and add one of those song recording studio things. Well themed to either land, and also is a money-maker! (not to mention really fun... almost an attraction!)

Cannery Row redone as a Chinatown, SF style (could move storefronts from SF area to here, as SF area would be redone painted desert or texas style - complete with BBQ and line dancing).
    It would have a short trolley line (think Jolly Trolly only legit) extending from ToT end (hopefully a walkway could be opened up there, not entirely sure if Bug's land gets in the way or not) to Paradise Pier/New England end.
    Add fancy Chinatown gateway modeled after SF one
    As NOS has "every day is Mardi Gras," Chinatown will have "every day is Chinese New Year" thing going on in streetmosphere (no Nigel, no fireworks) with music, dancing, dragons, etc
    Shops selling typical Chinatown merch like fans, parasols, jade, silk tops & pj's, toy drum thingies, etc
    Lucky Fortune Cookery (or whatever it's called) can stay

Entry Plaza redone as Revolution-era city OR 1950's (say, 1955? )

Condor Flats redone as tribute to American industry/transportation. Possible Detroit theme here. Add more rides themed to cars and transportation. Needs a new name.

Had some more thoughts on the main street/entry plaza area. I like the idea of a 1955 theme. The New England area would already have the revolution theme going, so 50's would be cool for entry plaza. Plus, it affords some great entertainment and merch opportunities (as well as requiring less change to the building exteriors, such as the train one).

So Entrance and Entry Plaza CMs would be in 50's gear. Poodle skirts for the gals, collared shirts with atomic symbol prints for the guys, and letterman sweaters for all during cold weather.

Think of the merch opportunities here: poodle skirts featuring Pluto, or Minnie Mouse on the telephone (you know, the skirts with the telephone cord on it instead of the poodle leash). Saddle shoes with disney characters. Mickey Mouse Club vintagey merchandise. Vintage-looking DL merch. Googie architecture (boomerangs and atoms) and bright colors for all, yay!

Oh, also, re-engineer the Flying Saucers ride (eg: make the idea work consistently using modern technology) and put it in the industrial area.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Feel the breeze!

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan

This is not just an Eisner thing, I think it is a baby boomer CEO thing. A Lack of accountablity than runs all the way from the White House to across corporate America, right into our own backyard. NOTHING is anyones fault anymore. :confused:
    You think the Baby Boomers are bad...wait until THEIR children have the reigns in their hands.

Oh lordy! Today's kids don't even fear grownups, what happens when they're grown up themselves?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Disnerd
    The people who are with H.OM.E. are currently trying to get the Air Quality Board to stop the fireworks. They came to my door and my dog went after them. My dog loves the fireworks!

This is really funny. Those people are so foolish and given that Disneyland has been there in some capacity since 1954 (people knew it was there when it was getting built), it stands to reason that most of them moved there knowing they were moving next to Disneyland! As strange as it sounds, I can almost see eye-to-eye with them about certain aspects. If Disneyland shoots off fireworks every weekend when they buy a house, they probably understand. But then when Disneyland suddenly chooses to launch fireworks every single night, the home buyers didn't count on that. I definitely do NOT agree with them, but I can kind of see where they're coming from.

My opinion is that if you get a good deal and buy a house next to a theme park/airport/freeway/train track then you lose your right to complain...there's a *reason* you got a good deal on a house. And if someone's paying FULL price to live in that kind of an area, well, they deserve whatever discomfort they're feeling for being foolish.

If someone tried to build something new next to a house that someone's lived in for a while, that's a totally different story. It's really hard to get things like freeways and power plants built in California because there's lots of NIMBYs here. The whole "Not In My BackYard" sentiment runs strongly and I can't say I blame those people.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 06-03-2005 at 07:51 AM.

The problem is.... the fireworks sound carries. So people as far away as, well, Costa Mesa, could theoretically complain (I won't) about the noise and no one can tell them they moved next to a theme park because they're a 20 minute drive away!

Still, c'mon folks, it's Disneyland! Don't be such a grouch!

Have you been to Tokyo DisneySea?

Some of the ideas suggested by Morrigoon were already incorporated into Tokyo DisneySea that opened the same year as DCA:

The NYC idea is American Waterfront at DisneySea. When I went there in May, it looked like they were working on an NYC-themed Tower of Terror. They also have a stage show saluting Broadway there that I skipped since all shows are in Japanese there. Although I did go to the Cinderella Mystery Tour in Tokyo Disneyland to see the Horned King.

"On the opposite end of the park.... where Mulholland madness stands useless, is the perfect spot for a volcano."

Mt. Prometheus is the volcano at DisneySea. Inside is Journey to the Center of the Earth. It's not dark, but definitely based on Jules Verne's book. You get shot our of the side of the volcano after descending "to the center of the earth" which had this freaky animatronic lava creature. The queue area was pretty cool, having to take an elevator that gets warmer the further down you went, to get to the loading area.

"This area of the park would also get a Little Mermaid dark ride, in the grand tradition of, say, an Alice or Peter Pan."

Mermaid Lagoon at DisneySea is based on the Little Mermaid with rides for the kids. They also have Jumpin' Jellyfish there, but since it's indoors, they can use blacklights to make the ride look pretty interesting. There's no King Triton Carousel, but there's a 2-story carousel at Arabian Coast.

What I learned from my trip to the Tokyo Disney Resort, especially DisneySea, is that the number of rides do no make a park great. It's the atmosphere. I think what has been lacking at the Disneyland Resort is maintaining the fantasy. At the Tokyo Disney Resort, you didn't see Cast Members carrying food to carts, interrupting foot traffic. Nor did you see any cast member really break out of character, like walking to work through the public areas carrying purses and backpacks.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

A lot of you mention, suggest, and support a theme-change for DCA, not realizing how that logically doesn't make sense for Disney. It would essentially have them openly admitting they've created a huge huge mistake.. which is something Disney doesn't like doing and for good reason because it diminishes thier brand and they need a good reputation and good public image.

They would have millions of dollars of merchandise that would have to be canned, all logos, etc throughout the Resort that feature DCA would have to be scrapped, and it would cause the huge CALIFORNIA letters to be removed, which would further confuse the visiting guests and cause more money and a mess with Disney PR.

It would be an enormous fiasco, really.

I'm not sticking up, defending, or saying that I enjoy DCA, because I don't like the place. It's boring and only has a small handful of worth-while attractions. But I think the last thing the park needs is a complete theme change. Themes within lands can be changed to be more enjoyable easier to expand upon, and huge sections of the park can undergo re-themes and huge changes, however, I don't think a change of the overall "California Adventure" theme is logical. It sounds good on paper, but would be a huge thing to actually undergo.

Sure, I love the idea of a different park instead of DCA... but it just probably will never happen and is probably Disney's very last resort before taking bulldozers to the place.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    I'm gonna say this one thing:

Rome wasn't built in a day

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    A lot of you mention, suggest, and support a theme-change for DCA, not realizing how that logically doesn't make sense for Disney. It would essentially have them openly admitting they've created a huge huge mistake.. which is something Disney doesn't like doing and for good reason because it diminishes thier brand and they need a good reputation and good public image.
    That's why we'll have to wait until October before any new plans are proposed. And there's a built-in scapegoat. (Ah, the scapegoat trick.)
    HK DL will likely be a big bust as well.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

marcopolo: unfortunately, I haven't been to TDL yet, but given that many of the suggestions exist, it would be that much easier to import them, and they have a proven success rate.

mastergracey: I never implied that it would be a small undertaking, just that it could be done w/out closing the park. You're absolutely right about the "saving face" remark though. The more I read in "DisneyWar", the more I realize that politics is more important to Eisner/Iger than actual results. So no, a re-theme probably wouldn't be done, it just ought to be.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Yeah, Eisner should have been booted out a while ago, send him out with his carney land and farm and the whole DCA idea. When it came down to laying blame, he always had someone take the bullet for himself. Not right.

And not only the blame for just DCA but for shortchanging Downtown Disney. It could have been so much better. About the only people that should NOT be fired are the people who designed Condor Flats and Grizzly Peak, and the person in charge of the Animation Exhibit. So many of the people on DCA were working with both hands tied behind their backs, and Eisner was the one tying their hands.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Can each and every DCA suit that is left over from Pressler's reign of terror. Make dog food out of their money grubbing, perk abusing, cast member and guest hating, antii-Disney hydes. Place them inside cans of Disney's Old Yeller Chunk Style Dog Food - CAN THEM ALL!. At least they will serve some purpose by making all of the pooches out there tail wagging happy. They like things that stink. :devil:
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-06-2005 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    marcopolo: unfortunately, I haven't been to TDL yet, but given that many of the suggestions exist, it would be that much easier to import them, and they have a proven success rate.

mastergracey: I never implied that it would be a small undertaking, just that it could be done w/out closing the park. You're absolutely right about the "saving face" remark though. The more I read in "DisneyWar", the more I realize that politics is more important to Eisner/Iger than actual results. So no, a re-theme probably wouldn't be done, it just ought to be.
    Morrigoon: I'm not sure though if importing attractions would work well in the states. Remember that the Tokyo Disney Resort is actually owned the by Oriental Land Company with licensing rights granted by Disney to build the same rides. Some of the attractions are definitely geared towards the almost all Japanese audience, like the Aquatopia where you just spin around at random around a pond (you'll have to see a pic to understand what I mean). I mean they were very cool, but I know there might be some issue of building and Arabian themed area in an American park like they have at DisneySea. I would like to see the same variety of popcorn here as they do there, coconut, cappucino, apple, sea salt, caramel, curry, or honey, but again, I doubt that some of the flavors would appeal to the American palate. But there are definitely rides from DisneySea that could work in Tomorrowland, like StormRider and Journey to the Center of the Earth. I guess Sindbad's Seven Voyages would have to be retooled to an Aladdin theme to appeal to the Everything-in-a-Disney-park-must-have-a-Disney-vibe-to-it crowd. Overall, the appeal of DisneySea is great because the audience expects a wide variety in Disney entertainment in the parks, unlike us. I think maybe that's where the problem lies with DCA, it seems the target audience isn't ready for what appears to be a radical change in park design, having a park that doesn't really have nor should have an inkling of Disney movies or shows. Overall, it seems the overall concept for DisneySea and DCA were the same, build a park where the Imagineers were given free reign in developing attractions that aren't based on a movie of show. Tokyo was ready, we weren't ready for what they would come up with.

P.S. With the exception of Mermaid Lagoon, you would have no idea that DisneySea was a Disney park. You would definitely notice Goofy, Chip & Dale, Mickey, and the others would be out of place even if they were dressed up as mad scientists as they are in Port Discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo34
    Overall, it seems the overall concept for DisneySea and DCA were the same, build a park where the Imagineers were given free reign in developing attractions that aren't based on a movie of show. Tokyo was ready, we weren't ready for what they would come up with.
    I dont agree with that at all. You can not compare those two parks and say that. I like DCA and go there on every visit but a Disney Sea park would have been so much cooler. It's the theming and detail in the two parks that makes them nothing a like so you can't even say that.

Quote Originally Posted by DBFan117
    I dont agree with that at all. You can not compare those two parks and say that. I like DCA and go there on every visit but a Disney Sea park would have been so much cooler. It's the theming and detail in the two parks that makes them nothing a like so you can't even say that.
    Okay, then. Would you agree with the idea that maybe the Imagineers were too focused on one park over the other, then? Of course DisneySea has much fewer rides than DCA. Many of the lands have no more than two rides, Like Port Discovery and Mystery Island. Or maybe we're not as demanding an audience with concepts for rides. Tokyo Disneyland is the only one with a Castle Mystery Tour where you can see animatronic skeletons rise in the dungeon. I haven't seen anyone suggest that for the castles here except in Disney Magazine (R.I.P.).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast