Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Social Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    You can divide these incidents into three distinct categories:

1. "Hey, watch this!" stupidity.
    2. One unfortunate accident involving a CM and a building design flaw.
    3. People who died because of inadequate training, maintenence and/or inspection probably stemming from a misguided attempt to save money.
    Notice that all the Category 3 killings have been recent. How I long for the bygone, innocent days of Category 1!

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Not to be contrary but it was my understanding that Disney had an agreement with the Anaheim Fire and Paramedic that a DOA is never declared on Disney property, so technically there has never been a death in the park to my knowledge...technically of course.
    This is not 100% correct. Only a medical doctor (not a Paramedic or Fire department) can officially declare someone as dead. I know that this sounds like splitting hairs but its the state law not something that Disney has cooked up.

If you want more information about the deaths at the park check out the following link.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/deaths.htm

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    It is usually the case that they pronounce people dead off property, but I seem to remember Torres being pronounced on property, since it took quite some time to remove his body from the attraction. I might be wrong, but I seem to remember that being the case.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Playtester

I imagine that Disney does have them pronounce them dead off site. I know at my apartments, we try and get them to pronounce them dead anywhere but in the apartment. If someone actually died in an apartment, we would have to tell people for the next 3 years that someone died in that apartment. Supposedly, someone sued (and won) a case where they sued their apartment managers/owners because their apartment was haunted and no one told them. I imagine Disney just wants to keep their imagine, because thats what makes them money in the long run. Now, intentionally ruining an investigation, is way wrong.
    It's Just me, Jenn.
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." ~Walt Disney

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by innerSpaceman
    Notice that all the Category 3 killings have been recent. How I long for the bygone, innocent days of Category 1!
    I could be wrong, but it seems like more of the category 3's happened during the Pressler era compared to the rest of the 50 years. Some of my friends in Maintenence/engineering were spread out pretty thin during those years...

• o Tom o

The split of the hair we are all discussing is that Disney trains CM to avoid words like "dead" or "was killed" to avoid guest panic, even if it is clear to guests that a person is in fact dead.

• Former Epcot CM

I write for Wikipedia and in particular Disney and Disneyland related articles, and I can tell you there has been quite a bit of dispute over the 'Deaths' section. Fake deaths, made up deaths, technically not deaths, and deaths!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

Either way you put it people have died at the park. Whether official or no! And it does seem that Catagory 3 has happened more often in recent years.

• Minion

This definitely wasn't a CM who was trying to sugar coat things for me. I'm not naive.

• Sock Puppet

Do you remember the kid that was stabbed and eventually dies at a nearby hospital. This was in line of one of the autopias and a young kid looked at a guy's girlfriend the wrong way and the guy got pissed, a fight ensued and he stabbed the youth and then fled with his girlfriend. I happened to be working that night in the old Arribas Bros. shop in the castle. When I got off work and was walking across the drawbridge, I saw all of these security guards searching everywhere with their flashlights for the knife. It was eventually found somewhere in the Jungle Cruise. The guy was eventually caught.

Glenn

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle
    This definitely wasn't a CM who was trying to sugar coat things for me. I'm not naive.
    I remember the People Mover deaths very well and they are not Urban Legends. It was mind numbing that such a pokey, benign attraction such as that killed two people. Mind you, it was the guests; own sheer stupidity but they did happen.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Well, from what I understand, the Columbia incident was caused by a non-Disney manufactured part which malfunctioned. When the family sued Disney, Disney in turn sued the company that manufactured the faulty part, and won, if I remember correctly.

So IMO, that is borderline, as far as deaths due to poor maintenence is concerned.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by desertdweller
    I remember the People Mover deaths very well and they are not Urban Legends. It was mind numbing that such a pokey, benign attraction such as that killed two people. Mind you, it was the guests; own sheer stupidity but they did happen.
    I'll accept that, then, if people actually recall them happening. I just hadn't heard any legit proof so I thought it was perfectly plausible that they never happened.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    Well, from what I understand, the Columbia incident was caused by a non-Disney manufactured part which malfunctioned. When the family sued Disney, Disney in turn sued the company that manufactured the faulty part, and won, if I remember correctly.

So IMO, that is borderline, as far as deaths due to poor maintenence is concerned.
    Getting the complete details in these kinds of cases can be difficult, particularly when settlements, etc. are confidential. In doing a bit of research on this incident, I found the following link that sheds some light on the subject... though is not necessarily comprehensive.
    http://www.aitkenlaw.com/content/view/26/2/
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen

I was working there at that time. I was told by a Columbia CM that the ship was VERY poorly maintained and that the ship was full of dry rot and CM's were bringing up their concerns about it to management and nothing was done. I remember thinking at the time how huge that was.

I have been confused if the cleet BROKE- which could be the off site manufacturer's problem, or broke OFF the ship- which could have been caused by dry rot.

I have no idea if that guy was full of it or not- I never worked Columbia. But that is what he told me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    On December 26, 1998, a metal cleat aboard the sailing ship "Columbia" tore loose, striking three people in the head. Of them, Luan Phi Dawson, 33, of Duvall, Washington, died of a head injury. The normal non-elastic rope (designed to break easily) to tie the boat off was improperly replaced by an elastic rope which stretched and pulled off the cleat. The park received much criticism for this incident due to its policy of restricting outside medical personnel in the park to avoid frightening visitors, as well as for the fact that the cast member in charge of the ship at the time was a novice.
    This is really inconsequential- but I believe that happened Dec 24, not 26. I am pretty sure it was Xmas eve, as I had that day off, but worked Xmas day and the place was swarmed with media and helicopters were everywhere. CM's were all told to please not answer any questions about the event because there were undercover reporters all over trying to get info.
    In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe. -Michael Jackson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast