Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Interesting...........

Although the Roger Rabbit incident that is mention was another example of guest negligence, but it did cause RRCTS to be down for a long time while they replaced the ride mechanism to that of HM- where anything at all hitting the ride track causes an automatic stop.

The details on that incident were never made clear to me while I worked there, but the prevailing story as I heard it from several leads said that two larger adults and a child were in a car together with the child in the middle. Because the lap bar was not tight over the child, the mother was able to lift him out from underneath it an placed him on top of the disc which spins the ride car. Then (shocking) when the car spun, the child was thrown from the car and trapped under the track.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Minion

On Christmas Eve in 1998, Microsoft employee Luan Phi Dawson was killed by a flying metal cleat, ripped from the sailing ship Columbia by a mooring cable. The rope should not have been secured, because the vessel was coming in to the dock too fast to stop. But the rope was supposed to break when it was stretched too tight, in order to prevent a piece of the ship from getting torn off and hurting somebody. (Evidently nobody ever tested this theory.) Lawyers for the park settled with the Dawson family in October 2000 for an undisclosed sum.

The CM was found to not have been trained on the proper procedure for docking the ship. The captain was supposed to reverse the motors to bring it slowly back to the docking position. The CM overreacted and tried to stop the ship with that single rope and I clearly remember dry rot being mentioned as one of the problems with the cleat ripping out.

Many of these deaths are decades old and most of the current CMs weren't even born when they happened. Add to that the fact that it's just a job to many of them and the history of the park isn't of much importance in their lives.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    Interesting...........

Although the Roger Rabbit incident that is mention was another example of guest negligence, but it did cause RRCTS to be down for a long time while they replaced the ride mechanism to that of HM- where anything at all hitting the ride track causes an automatic stop.

The details on that incident were never made clear to me while I worked there, but the prevailing story as I heard it from several leads said that two larger adults and a child were in a car together with the child in the middle. Because the lap bar was not tight over the child, the mother was able to lift him out from underneath it an placed him on top of the disc which spins the ride car. Then (shocking) when the car spun, the child was thrown from the car and trapped under the track.
    I know people at the park who were close to the Roger Rabbit incident and while it's an unfortunate and tragic accident, the local talk has always been that proper loading procedure was followed with that family. Without video in that area of the attraction, no one will ever know what really happened during that tragic ride but the general feeling is that the child's family was responsible for what happened.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    Yeah, that was the feeling I got as well- I guess I made it sound like it might have been CM negligence, but I don't believe that to be true. From everything I had heard, it was completely his parent's fault.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Metal Head

how in the world do you drown on Rivers of america?
    How much longer will it take
    For the world to see.
    We should learn to live
    And simply let it be.
    Bloodstone, bloodstone.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by LBRSRTENOR
    Do you remember the kid that was stabbed and eventually dies at a nearby hospital. This was in line of one of the autopias and a young kid looked at a guy's girlfriend the wrong way and the guy got pissed, a fight ensued and he stabbed the youth and then fled with his girlfriend. I happened to be working that night in the old Arribas Bros. shop in the castle. When I got off work and was walking across the drawbridge, I saw all of these security guards searching everywhere with their flashlights for the knife. It was eventually found somewhere in the Jungle Cruise. The guy was eventually caught.

Glenn
    Actually it was the walkway between the Matterhorn and the Sub Lagoon. I was working that night as well.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries
    What are a RedNecks Last Words???....

"Hey Everybody Watch This!!!"
    ------------------------------------------

Nine "Events resulting in a Motality" in 50 years and Millions and Millions of people is pretty good.

My Mother is a Ranger in Yosemite, and every year at least 4 or 5 people Bite the Big one due to becoming a nominee for a Darwin Award. It seems when people go on Vacation, the human brain Shrinks by 30% or more in some cases! So remember to think extra hard when thinking you will get a better Picture, if only you could get one step closer to the edge of the Waterfall, or if you think Jr. would look so cute on the back of that huge bear.

So all in all, I'd say Disney does a good job. Now..Right When Spash Mountain Starts to Drop...Stand Up so we can get a GREAT picture from across the way, ok?
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Metal God
    how in the world do you drown on Rivers of america?
    How do you drown in a bathtub? People have drown in less than 5 inches of water. Don't you ever watch CSI?
    PirateMunkee

• Minion

Ok, I contemplated a while about replying to this thread. First of all, I have worked at two theme parks and at one of them I worked alongside former disneyland facilities maintenance employees. Also, I spent 2.5 years researching ride safety policy, concerns, reports, etc as it was the topic of my thesis in graduate school. I paid particular attention to deaths from theme park attractions, one being the Roger Rabbit accident. I don't think anyone here should place blame on either the parents or the CM involved but rather the system in place at DL or at any other theme park. Blame is equal to all parties, of course there are some accidents where no blame can be placed on the one accidentally killed (ie. Sailing Ship Columbia ). Part of the problem is psychological and that can be attributed to the feeling that the parks create for its patrons, the feeling of this fantasy world where we escape all the realities of everyday life...including death. Although most of us know better as this thread suggests, the average theme park visitor doesn't think that harm will occur. In addition, the average ride operator doesn't think that the ride they are working could ever kill anyone.

This is reality, ride operators (and yes even at Disneyland) are human and they can cause mistakes. We will never really know the truth if that child was loaded on the open end of the car or the middle. Some guests questioned have said the child was loaded on the open end, CMs have said the opposite. Visitors are human and don't think that they'll be killed at Disneyland. Oh as far as the Roger Rabbit accident, I believe from a friend who used to be one of the state's amusement park inspectors, the death was due to employee negligence due to improper training.

I don't know about calling someone DOA within the gates of Disneyland. That has not been made clear to me or my past research. But as far as the Columbia accident, fire/police officials as well as the state was pretty upset (to put it mildly) at DL for cleaning up the blood and other things from that accident. OSHA officials weren't able to investigate everything because a lot of evidence had been cleaned up and moved by CMs because management said it would create a feeling of uneasiness to those still in the park. I dont' know about you but if someone died like that, let the officials do their job correctly so it WON't happen again. Private property goes out the door when someone is killed.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee
    Actually it was the walkway between the Matterhorn and the Sub Lagoon. I was working that night as well.
    was the kid last name yorba?
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Skipping on Main Street

Under the stairs at Main St. train station
    when I was a kid in 1980 or so, my father came home from work, he was very upset and shaken. He was forced to respond to a call(he was ride maintanance) in the people mover involving a 11 year old who had fallen during the TRON portion of he ride, His parents had placed him in a car alone, while they rode in another, when he became scared he attempted to climb into their car, he fell and broke his neck.
    Well Secluded, I see all!!!

Disney Paranormal Society

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    I believe it was. Mel Yorba actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Newseditor44
    I don't know about calling someone DOA within the gates of Disneyland. That has not been made clear to me or my past research.
    That is false. Some interesting info about Disney Urban Legends can be found here and the page about declaring people dead is here . So far I have found that site to be very accurate.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink
    I believe it was. Mel Yorba actually.

That is false. Some interesting info about Disney Urban Legends can be found here and the page about declaring people dead is here . So far I have found that site to be very accurate.
    I'm sorry, how is my statement false? My comment was merely stating that I can't answer the question with full certainty. An official Anaheim Police report and the medical record could only provide the correct time and location of the death.

In addition, I did look at that site and I do not agree that ALL accidents (resulting in deaths or not) were the sole result of guest negligence of safety instructions. I know of other guest injuries or accidents that have been caused by CM negligence of SOP. Statistically, it is 50/50 guest/CM negligence. But as far as my research was concerned, only DL or any other theme park in California can give you the correct # of actual deaths or injuries resulting within the park prior to 1999 because CalOSHA did not require parks to report injuries to the state. DL is the only park that cannot give an exact or close to exact number while other theme parks have practiced logging such events and reporting them to their local police or CalOSHA prior to it being required by law.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Justlittleoldme
    I imagine that Disney does have them pronounce them dead off site.
    Just as a follow up on this:
    http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/declare.htm

This covers the whole "declare" discussion.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    Actually I don't remember but the name does sound familiar or I can just be thinking of Yorba Linda? I do remember that his family sued Disneyland over that whole affair then Disneyland sued the guy who stabbed the Kid.
    PirateMunkee

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast