Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal God
    how in the world do you drown on Rivers of America?
    Simple enough, actually - if you aren't a Disney Geek (Guilty. ) and don't know that in most places in that river you can Stand Up And Touch The Bottom, you panic and start flailing. Then you wear yourself out or hypothermia kicks in, then you drown.

The ROA is at the deepest 6 to 8 feet, with a very steep vee up from the center deep spot where the Twain/Columbia guide rail is. The rest of the river is like 4 feet average depth or less - a swimming pool.

Then again, people drown in swimming pools all the time, even when they can touch bottom or easily move themselves to the shallow end - if you can't swim, even dog-paddling will get you there /if/ you keep your wits about you.

Oh, and there's a big difference between the Official Declaration of Death by an MD in a Hospital, and a Paramedic in the field determining that rendering further advanced life support is futile and discontinuing (or never starting) said supportive measures.

Normally, if the Paramedics can see that there's no chance for survival they don't have to start rendering aid - for example (and I'm trying to keep it clean, folks...) severe open head trauma, advanced rigor mortis, the neck is visibly seperated from the torso, or other clear evidence that there's Just No Way. The radio shorthand is DRT - "Dead Right There"...

Unless the chain of command has issued orders to the contrary, like it sure sounds like they're doing at DL. I can understand the reasons why.

I know of someone who crashed their motorcycle in the desert on an organized race, and wasn't found by a ground rescue team for a good 45 minutes - both the bike engine and rider were cold. There were obvious signs of DRT, but there was also a standing Do Not Declare order for the event. So the ground medics still had to do CPR, "package" the victim, and call for evacuation, and the Medic on the helicopter got to do one-man CPR for a half-hour transporting the expired person to a hospital. So he didn't die "during the race", he "died at the hospital of his injuries."

It's all semantics, but I'll bet you a big part of it was they'd never get liability insurance for the event ever again if they had a death. Or the premiums would go from merely ridiculous to astronomical-squared.

In Disney's case, they're big enough that they can self-insure. So the claims from the victim's lawyers :devil: would go from merely ridiculous to astronomical-squared.

--<< Bruce >>--

• Skipping on Main Street

Under the stairs at Main St. train station
    As I once learned in EMT school oh so many moons ago..NOBODY dies in the back of an amublance in the state of California. That is actual law, since besides obvious markers an EMT or Paramedic can not diagnos, they therefore can not declare death. As for the disney question..my understanding is that the BTRR accident was the first death on resort property.
    Last edited by Old_School_Goofy; 05-27-2005 at 01:30 AM. Reason: typo
    Well Secluded, I see all!!!

Disney Paranormal Society

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234