Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50
  1. #1

    • Upgraded to APs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    121

    Talking New here - planning a trip in Feb.

    Hello Everyone !

    My name is Courtney. I am about to turn 30 and I want to spend my birthday in the park. Some people I know think I am crazy - but I figured you would all understand. I just registered on this site - although I have peeked before. I also belong to another site like this one.

    I am a single mom to a 6th grade son (11yrs) and I work as an Asst. Teacher with Special Edu students. I am planning on taking a couple days off to take a 5 trip to DL. I am planning on leaving on a Friday, (after I get my paycheck !) and staying in CA until Wednesday.

    My birthday is Feb. 3 which is Saturday - so I know it will be more crowded - but I have never spent my actual bday in the park. (Well, I did when I was working at WDW - but that doesn't count.)

    I found a so-so hotel for $49 a night and already reserved it. It is within walking distance and I stayed there years ago - so I know what I am getting for my money. It is the Parkside Inn and Suites - behind Tiffy's Restaurant on Katella.

    I am hoping to fly over to DL from Phoenix instead of driving. I found flights for $59 one way (about $240 for 2 roundtrip tickets). I will then be getting either 4 or 5 day hopper tickets.

    DONE WITH THE INTRO... HERE COMES THE QUESTIONS...

    I am hoping to do a character meal for my birthday that Saturday. I am having a hard time deciding where to book a PS. I would like to see some of the Fab 5 and I don't want anything that will be too crazy. I heard that Storyteller's is nice - but no Fab 5.

    What do you suggest ?



    We are a paycheck to paycheck family - so after bills are paid and money is in hand... we will buy our tickets at the grocery store here in town (or at WDTC at DTD - in case I want to upgrade to APs). I am going to try and limit shopping to the end of the trip. We already have ears, autograph books, and t-shirts. I will be getting a Birthday Button as soon as I get there !!!

    What things could I be missing in my planning ?


    Thanks for reading...
    ~Courtney~
    Former CM ~ WDW CP ~ 12/05 to 03/06
    Recent Trips ~ 11/08 ~ 2/09
    Next trips... in my dreams...



  2. #2

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    4,616

    Re: New here - planning a trip in Feb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I am hoping to do a character meal for my birthday that Saturday. I am having a hard time deciding where to book a PS. I would like to see some of the Fab 5 and I don't want anything that will be too crazy. I heard that Storyteller's is nice - but no Fab 5.
    If you want to be up early, the character buffet at the Plaza Inn is nice (generally has Minnie, Pooh, and a few others), there's also Ariel's Grotto in DCA, which features (generally Princess) characters all day. Both run about $20-$21 (Adult) and $13-$14 for kids. Good to note that the breakfast at Plaza Inn includes soft drinks and Ariel's doesn't (so add another $3 to each meal). I've done both, and really enjoyed the Plaza Inn, because it's early in the morning, so the park is quiet and it feels more intimate. However, it is just breakfast food, and Ariel's offers more lunch and dinner offers. If you want to compare them, a MiceChat member runs a great website at DLResortInfo.com, which has the various offerings and menus, and is fairly up-to-date.

    Don't forget: Wear your button into the Tortilla factory over in DCA, to get your free bag of tortillas (yummy!).

    Also, Disneyland.com is offering the 'Adults play at the Kid's Price', which drops 5-day hopper tickets down to to $159 each.

    Sounds like you've got most of your bases covered. If you've got some time to spare on Sunday, drop by the Hub at noon. There will be some friendly MiceChatters there! We love out-of-towners!
    Last edited by Monorail Man; 01-15-2007 at 02:27 AM.
    -Monorail Man

  3. #3

    • Upgraded to APs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    121

    Re: New here - planning a trip in Feb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    If you want to be up early, the character buffet at the Plaza Inn is nice (generally has Minnie, Pooh, and a few others), there's also Ariel's Grotto in DCA, which features (generally Princess) characters all day. Both run about $20-$21 (Adult) and $13-$14 for kids. Good to note that the breakfast at Plaza Inn includes soft drinks and Ariel's doesn't (so add another $3 to each meal). I've done both, and really enjoyed the Plaza Inn, because it's early in the morning, so the park is quiet and it feels more intimate. However, it is just breakfast food, and Ariel's offers more lunch and dinner offers. If you want to compare them, a MiceChat member runs a great website at DLResortInfo.com, which has the various offerings and menus, and is fairly up-to-date.

    Don't forget: Wear your button into the Tortilla factory over in DCA, to get your free bag of tortillas (yummy!).

    Also, Disneyland.com is offering the 'Adults play at the Kid's Price', which drops 5-day hopper tickets down to to $159 each.

    Sounds like you've got most of your bases covered. If you've got some time to spare on Sunday, drop by the Hub at noon. There will be some friendly MiceChatters there! We love out-of-towners!

    Is the Plaza Inn open for PS seatings before the park is open ??? It would be nice to go in for breakfast and then be able to go to the rope drop. I like to eat a big breakfast and then just snack during the day. This is a buffet - right ?

    I know all about the tortillas ! Can't Wait !!

    I think WDTC is offering the 5 day for 159 as well - so I might get it at DTD on Friday night before going into the parks - I DO NOT want to wait in a line on my bday for a park hopper.

    Where in the Hub do you meet on Sunday ?
    Last edited by Courtney; 01-15-2007 at 02:33 AM. Reason: forgot something
    ~Courtney~
    Former CM ~ WDW CP ~ 12/05 to 03/06
    Recent Trips ~ 11/08 ~ 2/09
    Next trips... in my dreams...



  4. #4

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    4,616

    Re: New here - planning a trip in Feb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Is the Plaza Inn open for PS seatings before the park is open ???
    I think so, but you will always want to call and confirm.

    Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Where in the Hub do you meet on Sunday ?
    Between the White Rabbit and Goofy statues or to the front-left (as you are facing the castle). Generally, there's enough of us there, you'll see us.
    -Monorail Man

  5. #5

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.
    Posts
    5,972

    Re: New here - planning a trip in Feb.

    welcome to MiceChat!

    and an early happy birthday to you
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-


    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.








  6. #6

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,286
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: New here - planning a trip in Feb.

    Just wanted to say welcome, Courtney. I'm not as much of a Disney fanatic as many of the folks you'll find here, but I wsonder why anyone would consider it crazy to want to spend your birthday at Disneyland.

    As far as the Sunday noon meet goes, the hub isn't that big so it's hard to miss the group. They generally meet in the area right in front of the Walt statue. Don't be afraid to introduce yourself to people. If you take some time and study the trip reports here, you'll recognize some of the regulars there that day, I'm sure.

    Sorry I won't get to meet you that Sunday...I will be there for the birthday bash on the 28th, but not that day. The group will undoubtedly be at least somewhat smaller that day.

    Have a great time and welcome to MiceChat!

    By the way, I worked at Disneyland in various food locations from 1974-1982.

    --Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

  7. #7

    • Upgraded to APs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    121

    Re: New here - planning a trip in Feb.

    Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    welcome to MiceChat!

    and an early happy birthday to you

    Thank you very much !

    I think you are the first one to give me birthday wishes !
    ~Courtney~
    Former CM ~ WDW CP ~ 12/05 to 03/06
    Recent Trips ~ 11/08 ~ 2/09
    Next trips... in my dreams...



  8. #8

    • Upgraded to APs
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    121

    Re: New here - planning a trip in Feb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Just wanted to say welcome, Courtney. I'm not as much of a Disney fanatic as many of the folks you'll find here, but I wsonder why anyone would consider it crazy to want to spend your birthday at Disneyland.

    As far as the Sunday noon meet goes, the hub isn't that big so it's hard to miss the group. They generally meet in the area right in front of the Walt statue. Don't be afraid to introduce yourself to people. If you take some time and study the trip reports here, you'll recognize some of the regulars there that day, I'm sure.

    Sorry I won't get to meet you that Sunday...I will be there for the birthday bash on the 28th, but not that day. The group will undoubtedly be at least somewhat smaller that day.

    Have a great time and welcome to MiceChat!

    By the way, I worked at Disneyland in various food locations from 1974-1982.

    --Barry

    I have seen some pics so far - but I don't think I will remember anyone in paticular. I have seen and read so much info lately.
    ~Courtney~
    Former CM ~ WDW CP ~ 12/05 to 03/06
    Recent Trips ~ 11/08 ~ 2/09
    Next trips... in my dreams...



  9. #9

    • Food & Whine Aficianado
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Suburban Oprahopolis
    Posts
    268

    Re: New here - planning a trip in Feb.

    All of the character meals have pros and cons. I like Storyteller's best (by a small margin) for food quality and ambience, but Goofy's Kitchen has a much bigger selection (a full brunch, rather than just breakfast) and more characters.

    Happy birthday! I'll be flying in that weekend, too--one of my best friends turns 39 on the 4th and she wants to do the full Disneyland birthday experience. I did the same thing in July for my birthday.

    You can save a ton of money by eating most of your other meals off site, but also remember that a lot of the food in the parks comes in large, sharable portions (one of my favorites is the mountain-o-nachos at Cove Bar in DCA). Mimi's Cafe is right across the street and serves very good, reasonably-priced food. The entree-sized salads are definitely sharable, as are many of the sandwiches.

    Have a wonderful time.
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

  10. #10

    • Hooterville, USA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Haney House
    Posts
    10,136

    Re: New here - planning a trip in Feb.

    We did the character breakfast at the Plaza Inn and it was ok.

    The little girl we brought was about 4 years old and she was more scared than anything. But the characters did all they could to gain her trust.

    Welcome to MC and have a happy birthday too!


    This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

  11. #11

    •   
    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Laguna Beach,CA
    Posts
    7,175
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New here - planning a trip in Feb.

    FEb, 3 Happy birthday

    How some of the dream maker took over some shuff like the plots the river boat. maybe ride in the trains engine or lillian bell

    so find disney dream maker.

    Now who is at goofy kitchen? may be for breakfast?

    dinning place try judimouse web site http://www.dlresortinfo.com/
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan





    Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

    Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

  12. #12

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lets just say the only place in california that celebrates BEANS!
    Posts
    285

    Re: New here - planning a trip in Feb.

    hey i recommend you dont stay there i just looked on trip advisor and here are some pictures of the hotel


    http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...alifornia.html

  13. #13

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Debate Lounge Dummy : )
    Posts
    11,113

    Re: New here - planning a trip in Feb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post



    DONE WITH THE INTRO... HERE COMES THE QUESTIONS...

    I am hoping to do a character meal for my birthday that Saturday. I am having a hard time deciding where to book a PS. I would like to see some of the Fab 5 and I don't want anything that will be too crazy. I heard that Storyteller's is nice - but no Fab 5.

    What do you suggest ?








    ..
    Hi Courtney!

    It sounds like you got a great deal on the hotel and flights.

    I recommend Ariel's Grotto. It doesn't have the best food in the world , but the price is decent for what you get and you won't go away hungry. The main reason I recommend it is that the character interaction is GREAT! The few times I have been there , it has been a highlight of the trip for everyone from little kids to grown ups! The view at sunset is really pretty too .

    Hope you have a great trip!

    PS One of my daughter's is named Courtney and my mom's birthday is Feb 3rd!!!

  14. #14

    • *Stylist to the Princess
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vacaville, CA
    Posts
    13

    Smile Re: New here - planning a trip in Feb.

    Goofy's Kitchen is a great place to eat. It is costly, however it is the only meal to splurge on right? Well besides maybe a Blue Buyou Dinner...
    I looked into the Candy Cane Inn, if you call you get a much better qoute than the internet rate. It had been rated #1 on trip advisor last year.
    I hate eating outside the park, I reccomend Rancho del Zolaco for dinner (could even share a plate). The whole family really liked the Gumbo bread bowls at the New Orleans Square counter service (Don't remember the name, next to pirates ride). At DCA I thought Taste Pilot's was a great burger. The drinks will kill you in cost, I brought along Target's single pouch Stawberry Lemonade sugar free drink mix, we kept refilling a water bottle.

    I just celebrated my 30th Birthday in Disneyland as well!!! You are going to have so much fun. My husband bought me a cheesy tiera with disney princesses and flashing lights. I wore it with pride all day.
    I'm dreaming of a trip to Walt Disney World one day

  15. #15

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,286
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: New here - planning a trip in Feb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I have seen some pics so far - but I don't think I will remember anyone in paticular. I have seen and read so much info lately.
    It was just a thought. I know that there is a lot of stuff here to absorb! Once again, an early happy birthday - and welcome to MiceChat.


    OFF TOPIC - Has anyone ever told you that you were born on the same date (years later) as ..."The Day The Music Died?"

    --Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Help planning our first trip
    By dlandfanrsb in forum Tokyo Travel Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-27-2009, 06:37 PM
  2. [Question] Planning WDW trip. HELP!
    By BlAcKoUt510 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 06:09 PM
  3. Planning a trip to DL on Wed 11/15
    By BrianFuchs in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-08-2006, 01:21 PM
  4. Planning a trip
    By rune_74 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 08:50 PM
  5. Trip Planning
    By Timhotep in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-17-2006, 03:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •