Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• living to haunt

Sad Smoking vs. Chew

OK, this is going to be interesting. I am either going to get no response at all or this is going to cause a huge uproar. Either way I have to do this.

I have seen many posts on the "smokers" at the park. I am not a smoker, never have been, but my daughter and her husband are. When we first arrived she lite a butt over by the entrance to IJ and was told very quickly about the smoking areas. She said ok, and headed to HM smoking area as directed by CM. Later in the day we were over by the Matterhorn and she went to the area there to smoke. It was amazing how many people would walk through that "posted smoking area" and complain about her smoking. But that is another gripe, here is my problem.

Now during our visit I would say I had "chew" spit down at my feet at least three times. I lost count of how many times I saw people just spitting chew on the ground. Now to me this is the most vile public display possible, it is rude, and it is dirty. So later that day my daughter was trying to sneak a smoke over by the Tikki Room at the entrance to Adventure Land over by the water ( Yes I know it was bad and I yelled at her for it but I am only the mother). Over came a cast member and asked her to put it out or take it to a smoking area. She put it out but while she was doing it, and the CM was making sure, I asked.."I know there is no smoking in the park areas but how about the people chewing and spitting the chew on the ground and at our feet. How does that park feel about that?". He looked at me very stangely and replied "Well there is nothing we can do about them".

Now wait a minute, if I was a CM and I saw someone spit chew on the ground I would walk over to them , ask for the tin of chew, and have them toss it in the nearest garbage can. I know you can't buy it in the park so they would have to quit for the day or go for a walk to buy more. Now am I wrong in thinking this is just as doable (word?) as asking people to stop smoking? Again I am all for the smoking areas and if you want to smoke that is where you should do it, but spitting chew has got to rank up there with some kind of corrective measure.

I would really like peoples opion on this.
    Off my soapbox

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

Re: Smoking vs. Chew

i think spitting in general is gross , chew spit especially , but unlike cigarette smoke it does not directly affect my lungs , i know it's not typical to get lung cancer from smoke but it is still not pleasant to breathe in. I don't have a solution but i am against baning it in the park

My Maleficent tattoo

• Hooterville, USA

Ban them both from DL.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Dreams do come true

I don't know I 've been to DL hundreds of times and I have never once noticed someone spitting chew and found it a problem but almost everytime I go I think that smoking need to be done outside the gates and not inside the park. and yes I am an exsmoker. I mean you go to any school playground and you are not allowed to have any tobacco products of any kind... why you ask? because it is dangerous for kids to inhale the smoke and to just even see you smoking and later think that smoking is ok..which we all know it is not. To me Disneyland is a giant playground and tobacco chew or smoke should be left in the last millenium.

• love my friends

i am a smoker and always smoke in the smoking areas of the park.. as for chew ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww that is digsuting.. i hate spitting anyways.. and i feel CM's should be able to do soemthng about that as well

Friends for life

I think part of the difference is that public smoking is both a) obvious and b) highly regulated by the city, state and county. When CM asks a smoker to smoke in a designated area, they are enforcing a law, not just a DL policy.

And as disgusting as it is, chewing tobacco is a bit hard to spot unless someone is actively spitting. And even if CM catches them, I don't know that they have the right to confiscate personal property. <shrug>

Good thing that it (in my experience) isn't a high-profile problem. I can't remember ever seeing anyone chewing and spitting. And I'm quite grateful for that!

• Premium Youngling and

Having your Chew tin taken away is just like having your pack of cigs taken away and thrown away. The CM deserved no right to do that (even though some think they do)

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

They should designate the areas around ROA to be a chewing tobacco only area and let everyone spit into the ROA. This way Disney doesn't have to spend money on that dye they use to give the water that greenish-brown hue!

• Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by AbominableSnowman1 View Post
    Having your Chew tin taken away is just like having your pack of cigs taken away and thrown away. The CM deserved no right to do that (even though some think they do)
    I agree..spitting anything onto the ground is distasteful. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten GUM stuck to the bottom of my shoe because someone thought it easier to just spit it out, but I don't think gum should be banned or confiscated--I would chalk this tobacco chew thing up to being an unavoidable evil--like gum on the bottom of your shoe...

• Huh?

Chew is something they can and should enforce since it does contribute in the debeautification of the park. I've been to several caves where they say, "No smoking or chewing tobacco in the cave. If you must chew, you'll need to swallow." Disneyland should do the same about chew.

Though, I've rarely ever seen anybody in my life to actually use chew.
    -Tim

• Comin' at ya!

I would rather have a smoker smoking in disneyland than someone chewing, because at least you don't spit when you smoke...Who wants spit on the sidewalks? ewwww.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• 1375 miles away

I agree that spitting on the ground would be disgusting. Thanks heavens, I personally have never seen it. I do believe that smokers or chewers alike should be courteous of those around you. However, there are just those that are not inclined to give a flip about anyone else but themselves. My husband dips snuff. When we have been to the park, he keeps a small water bottle tucked into the pocket of his vest to spit in. He would really hear it from me if I ever saw him spit on the sidewalk! I have no problem with smokers or spitters, if they just don't infringe upon others!
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report November 2010
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...post1056434199
    Our First Trip to WDW December 2009
    http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...16-2009-a.html
    November 2008 trip report! Updated 1/13/09!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...23-2008-a.html

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

When I see people chewing tobacco I usually see them spitting into a cup. I don't usually see them spitting on the sidewalk. Don't think this means that I am condoning this at DL, because if I did see them spitting on the sidewalk I would be pretty pissed. However if they were spitting in a cup then yes, its gross, but they aren't hurting anyone else so I think we should just try and ignore them.

My aunt died about 5 years ago from lung cancer and she never smoked a cigarette in her life. But all three of her husbands smoked like chimneys. If they chewed tobacco instead I am sure she would have never gotten the lung cancer.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Yuck. I've never experienced people spitting their chew around me, and that certainly is disgusting...though I can see why Disneyland hasn't done anything about it.

Smoking is a legal thing...second-hand smoke does affect the body, which is mainly why Disneyland has smoking areas. I think that's fine IMO...I'm not a smoker myself but I know people that do and it's not something easily broken for most. And if other tourists were smart, they would actually pay attention to where they're going and read the signs that clearly designate smoking areas.

Since I've never seen tobacco chew being spit all over the place at any point that I've gone to Disneyland, I think your trip might have been a bad fluke in that aspect...in any case, the chew won't affect anyone else's lungs, so the legal thing evaporates.

However, chew and gum shouldn't just be spit out in random places, or stuck to hand rails, by people that don't seem to care about the rest of the population...when you're done with them, they belong in a trash can.

I don't want gum banned from Disneyland, as there are responsible people out there and don't deserve to be punished because they might be refreshing their breath...but I don't know. Having gum and chew (if this becomes a habitual problem at Disneyland) needs to be remedied in some way.

Walt was very picky about keeping Disneyland constantly cleaned and maintained...trash creates more trash. If someone throws their litter on the ground, other people will see it and go, "Well I won't throw my trash away either because if someone else is lazy, I'll be lazy too."

This also goes back to the hiring of employees to keep Disneyland clean and maintained constantly...with the lack of enough employees, and a serious lack of the truly dedicated ones, people are going to continue to disrespect the parks because there's no one there to keep the magic going.

• living to haunt

Quote Originally Posted by mariezp View Post
    I agree that spitting on the ground would be disgusting. Thanks heavens, I personally have never seen it. I do believe that smokers or chewers alike should be courteous of those around you. However, there are just those that are not inclined to give a flip about anyone else but themselves. My husband dips snuff. When we have been to the park, he keeps a small water bottle tucked into the pocket of his vest to spit in. He would really hear it from me if I ever saw him spit on the sidewalk! I have no problem with smokers or spitters, if they just don't infringe upon others!
    Thanks for the note from someone who has a family member that chews. I agree to the bottle in the pocket idea. I have to say that not only did we see people spit chew on the sidewalk but also as they leaned against the rails turn and spit it in the plants. I don't know if that is good for them or not but if you are going to chew bring something to get rid of it in. Thanks for your note.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast