Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

What classic rides can't be built today because of updated safety codes?

Apparently the reason Disneyland cannot bring back the People Mover is because of safety code updates that prevent an open air vehicle with tight clearences like it had. Should Disney want to bring back a People Mover type ride it would have to be enclosed I guess.

What else couldn't be built today? The first ride that comes to mind is the Matterhorn. If you wanted to you could actually bang your head into the cave walls. The only restraint are seat belts that can easily be unbuckled in the middle of the ride.

Personally I love it. There's something about the ride that feels so dangerous that increases the appeal for me.

What else is an affront to current safety codes?

Re: What classic rides can't be built today because of updated safety codes?

Of course the sky way buckets should be on this list.

• ...TWO BITS!

I guess Submarine Voyage since its not wheelchair friendly? Isn't there a sub ride in the Mall of America?

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

The subs, definitely.
    The Mall of America was pre-ADA.

• Senior Minion

Peoplemover might have been fine (1967)if it was left alone and never removed. It might have fallen under the grandfather clause. If I remember correctly the cutoff date was 1960.
    Submarine Voyage just barely made that cutoff(1959),The Main Street Station(1954)do not have to be altered because of the historical landmarks they technically are. If Disney wanted to be more accomodating, that is their choice to fund it and make it happen for handicap access.
    So either way, the Peoplemover would have to be altered in some way.

I still think the Skyway could be returned but with new design and security.
    Skyway was ruined by a person who was bent on making a libel suit for money. Read Mousetales and Mousetales by David Koenig.
    Last edited by Alchimedes; 01-15-2007 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Typo
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Shubisha

Yes the peoplemover would have been grandfathered in but the point is which rides would HAVE to be grandfathered in.

But what should be noting is that the peoplemover itself being unenclosed wouldn't be in violation of safety codes they'd just have to have made the tunnels a little wider when they built the thing is all. It's just that this would be hard now considering all the buildings have active attractions inside them.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    The subs, definitely.
    The Mall of America was pre-ADA.
    Mall of America in MN? I've been there multiple times....what sub ride? Or are, you guys referring to something else?

^The sub ride they are thinking about (which is currently for sale, by the way) was the one at the West Edmonton Mall in Canada.

• Koubu Pilot

The Skyway stations weren't ADA friendly because they're accessed by long flights of stairs in addition to transferring into the bucket.

Most of the attraction queues aren't ADA compiant, but the exits are. However, pretty much all of Fantasyland is grandfathered, so attractions like Peter Pan, while accessible, have exits that can get cramped with the people coming and going.

Space Mountain's concourse predates ADA laws. The narrowness and steepness inside the dome are why they send wheelchairs through the exit area (the boarding area is about 17 ft underground and the dome's entrance is on the second story). I thought the way the station was reworked to have a seperate ADA loading area was a good idea.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Keep in mind there's a big difference between safety codes and ADA. Safety codes must be adhered to, while ADA asks businesses to provide alternatives for guests with certain special needs only when it's within reason to do so.

In other words, if there's no way you could adjust the structure to add an elevator or whatever, you don't have to. Most modern buildings are ADA friendly (almost all the new Strip megaresorts here have elevators everywhere there's stairs/escalators) but there's plenty of places where there simply isn't the capability to add such access (subs being an example), and there's nothing illegal about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    Space Mountain's concourse predates ADA laws. The narrowness and steepness inside the dome are why they send wheelchairs through the exit area (the boarding area is about 17 ft underground and the dome's entrance is on the second story). I thought the way the station was reworked to have a seperate ADA loading area was a good idea.
    It's not just for ADA, but generally people having difficulties. The old Space Mountain had to launch a new train every so many so many seconds, so older folks and people who just had a hard time getting in and out in the time asked of them without cast assistance can now go board in a dock that allows them as much time as they need.

It's pretty brilliant and I'm surprised I didn't hear about it until I went to DL and rode. I was impressed.

• Fastest Man Alive

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. If there was any worry about a 'safety envelope' it should be this ride. You darn near smack into in the scenery with every turn as it is.

Mission: Space (heh)

• The mouse that Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon View Post
    I still think the Skyway could be returned but with new design and security.
    Skyway was ruined by a person who was bent on making a libel suit for money. Read Mousetales and Mousetales by David Koenig.
    actually I have a copy of More Mouse Tales By David Koenig In front of me and quoting directly from pages 43-44.
    Because the closure came so soon after the accident, many people mistakenly deduced that it was shut down because it was unsafe......
    ......In actuality the attraction was done in by a combination factors. First, although popular, it was a comparativly low-capacity ride , even stocked with 42 cabins the aging attraction was due for an expensive overhaul. the park also was under pressure to make the Skyway accessible to handicapped visitors, which would have been prohibitivly expensive and, for a ride that shouldn't be stopped, impractical. Finally, as a general pricipal, whenever a new ride opens at Disneyland, an old ride closes. Ever profit minded, the park won't keep adding attractions that increase operating cost
    without ensuring long-term increases in income. In that sense, even though the attractions are located lands away, the Skyway was replaced by the Indiana Jones Adventure.
    So there you have it.... at least according to David Koenig.
    BTW, Hi I'm new around here and It's nice to meet you all.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by Hench View Post
    Of course the sky way buckets should be on this list.
    First and foremost....skyway

C'mon, can't we sign a waiver and release or something?
    Fight On! Beat the Beavers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The only thing we have to shame is ... shame itself!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMouse View Post
    actually I have a copy of More Mouse Tales By David Koenig In front of me and quoting directly from pages 43-44.
    So there you have it.... at least according to David Koenig.
    BTW, Hi I'm new around here and It's nice to meet you all.
    Welcome MusicMan, glad you joined MiceChat!
    There are more articles on this and more information. If you get a chance look them up, it mentions about how this person held out until the final days of the court case.
    This court case was just a tool for Disney to get out of keeping this attraction up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyway_(Disney) This person started a chain of events and by his actions ended something others enjoyed.
    Did you get the chance to ride this when it was open?
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast