Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• :)

Difference between CM's

I was curious sometimes I see Cast Members with earpieces and I was wondering what it meant because not all of them have them

they either have a radio or an eirpiece...I know all of security does but why do others? Thanks!

Re: Difference between CM's

Since management and certain leads are responsible for more than one attraction or other location, they each have a radio in order for them to respond where they're needed.

Leads at least in New orleans Critter COuntry have to wear an Ear piece becasue managment dosent want guest to hear the radio calls..

This question raises the issue of managerial hosts and hostesses being in costume.

If they are on-stage and wearing nametags, these people need to be in costume, and it should be something that permits them to cross the boundaries separating the realms. For example, the Time Traveler costume created for Disneyland Paris is intended to allow the host or hostess to do exactly that, and so are the Guest Relations costumes Disneyland is currently using.

I hate seeing anyone on stage and wearing a nametag who isn't in costume.

If the wardrobe department doesn't design appropriate costumes, at least these people, from the Duty Manager to the General Leads, can wear Guest Relations plaid.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-16-2007 at 01:02 PM.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    This question raises the issue of managerial hosts and hostesses being in costume.

If they are on-stage and wearing nametags, these people need to be in costume, and it should be something that permits them to cross the boundaries separating the realms. For example, the Time Traveler costume created for Disneyland Paris is intended to allow the host or hostess to do exactly that, and so are the Guest Relations costumes Disneyland is currently using.

I hate seeing anyone on stage and wearing a nametag who isn't in costume. If the wardrobe department doesn't design appropriate costumes, at least these people, from the Duty Manager to the General Leads, can wear Guest Relations plaid.
    Well, Coordinators (non-costumed Leads) do wear a more professional looking "costume." At the Disney-MGM Studios, Coordinators wear a white shirt with a Mickey on it and khaki pants. Others are quite similiar and they have this so that they can fit into the multiple locations that they are helping manage. I don't see any issue with managers not wearing costumes since they dress according to The Disney Look. Most managers spend most of their time managing their CMS, CDS, and only spending time talking with guests while handing guest issues and walking from one location to another.

• Hooterville, USA

Hmmmm.......very suspicious.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I was in Tomorrowland last Saturday and saw some execs -- about three of them gathered out in front and to the right of the old Radio Disney station which is now a gift shop. In any case, they were all wearing ties with name badges.

This totally ruined the theming for me, in my opinion and it irritated me a little bit because they were all standing around with this look on their faces like they were God's gift or something.

If management feels a need to be in the park at any time, they should change into plain clothes and not wear name badges in order to blend in with the surroundings.

• 88 mph

Actually management changed the role of the store leads and put them in more of an administrative sense instead of just one of the CM's. Back then, Leads would assign positions as to where each other CM was to work and the Lead would also work in their own assigned position. Now they are more like administrators and just tell everyone where to go and keep an earpiece with them to keep an update on the CM's.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

How on earth did this thread go from a simple question about earpieces to a discussion about whether management should wear costumes in the parks?

Anyway....back to the original question.

Security Officers wear earpieces due to the sometimes sensitive nature of their radio traffic. For other departments it may or may not be required and might simply be a personal preference. I know wearing one makes hearing the radio easier in areas of high noise such as NOS during Fantasmic. For certain departments, such as Facilities, it's just not practical to use earpieces and for other departments which are on-stage and in constant close proximity to guests it's a matter of Show.

• Feed the Ducks!

Quote Originally Posted by Karnever View Post
    Leads at least in New orleans Critter COuntry have to wear an Ear piece becasue managment dosent want guest to hear the radio calls..
    The earpiece is optional and just make it easier to hear the radio. The radio itself is not required, but most leads use it in case they're away from their attraction and something happens. In fact, I've only seen a radio at the canoe dock a handful of times. On the other hand, the lead in charge of the big boats (who is also in charge of rafts) pretty much has to have a radio because they cannot be at both attractions at the same time.

Both big boats (Columbia and Twain) have radios on them as does the raft dock. This is so in case a boat goes b.i.d. (boat in distress) in the middle of the river, the other boats will be able to stop for it.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by 10-8atDisneyland View Post
    How on earth did this thread go from a simple question about earpieces to a discussion about whether management should wear costumes in the parks?
    Because one doesn't expect to see people wearing earpieces during turn of the 20th century America on Main Street. Similary, I don't expect to see CM's in modern day suits in these areas either.

• Banned User

But can't you pick up the security radio signals with a transmiter?

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Ken View Post
    The earpiece is optional and just make it easier to hear the radio. The radio itself is not required, but most leads use it in case they're away from their attraction and something happens. In fact, I've only seen a radio at the canoe dock a handful of times. On the other hand, the lead in charge of the big boats (who is also in charge of rafts) pretty much has to have a radio because they cannot be at both attractions at the same time.

Both big boats (Columbia and Twain) have radios on them as does the raft dock. This is so in case a boat goes b.i.d. (boat in distress) in the middle of the river, the other boats will be able to stop for it.

The ear piece was not optional I was Told I had to wear it and at Splash we have to have a radio and during holiday we had to have a radio at mansion and wear an earpeice. And River 5 has to have a radio they have no choice

• We wants the Redhead

I like the idea for an ear piece instead of a radio. It helps to keep that Disney magic alive....
    Janet
    John 3:16

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Because one doesn't expect to see people wearing earpieces during turn of the 20th century America on Main Street. Similary, I don't expect to see CM's in modern day suits in these areas either.
    Eh, I think you meant "19th Century America" right? There were a lot of people
    wearing earpieces for hearing aids and even radios by 1950s.

But then do you want the guests to wear period costumes as well and refain
    from using cell phones or digital cameras? I would think that seeing these
    would be more jarring than the earphones which are somewhat camaflouged.

Finally, some of the earphones are for safety reasons (RoA "ships", police, leads,
    crowd control, etc)
    do you want to compromise this for a strict adherance to period costumes?

Don't get me wrong. I'm a stictler for maintaining the immersion as much as anyone.
    However to me that's not at the expense of safety or sometimes even aspects
    of operations (like crowd control).

Please open up another thread for the suits issue; it's related, but wasn't the original topic
    and deserves its own thread rather than derailing this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast